Gas Prices!

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
k19 said:
45 cents in 2 days, try 72 cents in 4 hours. First from 2.57 to 2.99 in less then 2 hours then from 2.99 to 3.49 2 hours later.

Doesn't that fit the legal definition of rape??

I know, that's not in good taste, but if I can't laugh at this farce, I'm liable to sit down and cry...

Understand that I drive 100 miles every day to and from work...

k19

Reaction score
I've been driving for 20 years and prices were always between 90 something cents and 140 ish up until 2 years or so. It amazes me how prices never seemed to fluctaute more then 50 cents give or take in 20 years but they have more then doubled recently.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LAST WARNING

If you want to talk politics over this topic and the Hurricane topic then do so here..

www.politicalzone.org

But do NOT bring up the politics on this site anymore.

Thanks

BlueStar22

Reaction score
silverbear said:
Doesn't that fit the legal definition of rape??

I know, that's not in good taste, but if I can't laugh at this farce, I'm liable to sit down and cry...

Understand that I drive 100 miles every day to and from work...
No, it's not rape, what's happened to the people of Mississippi, Alabama, and New Orleans is rape. Try losing everything you have. I'm done complaining about gas prices. Nobody is going to dump their cars and walk. After the events of this week, we need to take a step back to realized how truly blessed we are.

dewey

Reaction score
Exactly bluestar. I'm in Denver....I went by my local station yesterday morning and gas was 2.49, I came home last night and it was $2.99, I went to work this morning and it was 3.99. Was I shocked, yeah, but I still have a car to drive, a job to go to and a roof over my head. My life ain't too bad.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
I warned everyone that the hurricane would destroy the Port Fourchon oil platforms and refineries the day before the hurricane struck. You can find my thread here: http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32862

I don't mean to sound like chicken little here, but it's going to get much worse before it gets better. $4/gal gas is not out of the question. But you have to understand, this is not the president's fault, not "big oil" price gauging, this is supply and demand. Supply was already tight, and the hurricane knocked out 90% of our natural gas supplies in the Gulf of Mexico and 85% of our oil. It's going to take months to recover from this.

In the meantime, this is going to kick the crap out of our economy. We're probably going to go into another recession, unfortunately. :(

Be safe, everyone.

k19

Reaction score
Suprise suprise several of the stations that were at 3.00 a gallon last night are back to 2.70 a gallon today. Of course there are still stations selling gas for 3.00 to 3.49 and.....you guessed it. People are still lining up and paying it

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
k19 said:
Suprise suprise several of the stations that were at 3.00 a gallon last night are back to 2.70 a gallon today. Of course there are still stations selling gas for 3.00 to 3.49 and.....you guessed it. People are still lining up and paying it
You have to understand, gasoline is a commodity. Take a look at the link below, it's easy to see why prices are where they are. Gas stocks were already low before the storm, and now you have outages and Labor Day on the horizon.

At any rate, there is some price gauging on, that's the gas stations who hike the prices before the shipments come in. They paid the lower price but get the new margine on the gas already in the ground. For the most part, though, these prices are legit, and no one will be under $3 come this weekend.

http://www.bloomberg.com/energy/

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
LAST WARNING

If you want to talk politics over this topic and the Hurricane topic then do so here..

www.politicalzone.org

But do NOT bring up the politics on this site anymore.

Thanks

I understand why you folks separated everything, but I sometimes feel like telling people not to talk politics is like telling 'em not to breathe oxygen. ;)

Especially at a time when gas prices are at an all-time high and the economy is sputtering. Ya can't help but mix in some politics when consumer confidence is low. :)

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
TheSkaven said:
I warned everyone that the hurricane would destroy the Port Fourchon oil platforms and refineries the day before the hurricane struck. You can find my thread here: http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32862

I don't mean to sound like chicken little here, but it's going to get much worse before it gets better. $4/gal gas is not out of the question. But you have to understand, this is not the president's fault, not "big oil" price gauging, this is supply and demand. Supply was already tight, and the hurricane knocked out 90% of our natural gas supplies in the Gulf of Mexico and 85% of our oil. It's going to take months to recover from this.

In the meantime, this is going to kick the crap out of our economy. We're probably going to go into another recession, unfortunately. :(

Be safe, everyone.

I thank you for the warning sir. I filled up the day before it struck and told many friends and relatives about the numbers you gave. (33% of oil coming through New Orleans.) Luckily, I only buy fuel efficient Japanese cars, so I won't be hurting that bad, but I've seen some folks running up $200 tabs at the gas station trying to fill up their gas guzzler and then some extra tanks.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
silverbear said:
Can you say "price gouging"??

Ask yourself what the price of gas was back when Dubya was inaugurated the first time... then, ask yourself if the price it is today (more than doubled) is really reflective of inflation at work...

Dubya's oil buddies have really gotten their money's worth out of him... meanwhile, the price of goin' back and forth to work for me has more than doubled... so I'm eatin' a lot more hot dogs, and Kraft mac and cheese...

Give us a freakin break. This thread is just about the damn price of gas. You dont have to turn it into your "I hate Bush" crap. For crying out loud. Take it to the Politcal Zone already.

WE KNOW YOU HATE BUSH SB!!! :rolleyes:

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dallas said:
Give us a freakin break. This thread is just about the damn price of gas. You dont have to turn it into your "I hate Bush" crap. For crying out loud. Take it to the Politcal Zone already.

WE KNOW YOU HATE BUSH SB!!! :rolleyes:

I think we have moved past that. :D

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
I think we have moved past that. :D

Sorry bout that BP. I just hate that crap. Hijacking a thread is freakin pre-school. :p:

silverbear

Reaction score
Dallas said:
Sorry bout that BP. I just hate that crap. Hijacking a thread is freakin pre-school. :p:

Yeah, you hate that crap, so to show how much you hate it, you make a post that would (if I wasn't being a good boy, and obeying the "no politics" edict") designed to elicit more flames...

What a total hypocrite... though political, my response WAS relevant to the price of gas these days, in fact it was motivated by the price gouging goin' on...

But BP is right, we're trying to keep politics out of here, and I should have thought of that before I went off on my little tirade... and you really oughta ****, lest you start a politically based flame war in here... because I will NOT take a whole lot of your abuse...

We clear on that, hypocrite??

Edit-- OK, that may have been a little overly hostile, but I'm not gonna edit it out, because it really did annoy me to be attacked when I had already promised to back off... so kindly stay out of my face, Dallas, and I'll reciprocate... your attacking me when I had already agreed that I was out of line was both gratuitous and totally unnecessary...

banded74

Reaction score
Well I will be 100% honest here.. It really makes me sick at my stomach to hear people whine and cry about the price of gas. Yes it sucks, but there isn't anything we can do about it #1. and #2 living in Mississippi and having the damage that we have and the people that have lost EVERYTHING and have lost their loved ones and to hear other people gripe about the cost of gas... You aren't owed a dang thing in this country... This hurricane proved that... Put yourself in our shoes.. What would you do if you were in our situation and lived through this???? Would you be happy you could go to the gas station and get gas... YES YOU WOULD.... I guess I need to step back and think if I want to come to this board....

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
silverbear said:
Yeah, you hate that crap, so to show how much you hate it, you make a post that would (if I wasn't being a good boy, and obeying the "no politics" edict") designed to elicit more flames...

What a total hypocrite... though political, my response WAS relevant to the price of gas these days, in fact it was motivated by the price gouging goin' on...

But BP is right, we're trying to keep politics out of here, and I should have thought of that before I went off on my little tirade... and you really oughta ****, lest you start a politically based flame war in here... because I will NOT take a whole lot of your abuse...

We clear on that, hypocrite??

Edit-- OK, that may have been a little overly hostile, but I'm not gonna edit it out, because it really did annoy me to be attacked when I had already promised to back off... so kindly stay out of my face, Dallas, and I'll reciprocate... your attacking me when I had already agreed that I was out of line was both gratuitous and totally unnecessary...

Done - I dig ya bro your always a stand up guy - I just hate your politics tho.

We are still buddies. Dont forget my Christmas card again this year please? :D

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
banded74 said:
Well I will be 100% honest here.. It really makes me sick at my stomach to hear people whine and cry about the price of gas. Yes it sucks, but there isn't anything we can do about it #1. and #2 living in Mississippi and having the damage that we have and the people that have lost EVERYTHING and have lost their loved ones and to hear other people gripe about the cost of gas... You aren't owed a dang thing in this country... This hurricane proved that... Put yourself in our shoes.. What would you do if you were in our situation and lived through this???? Would you be happy you could go to the gas station and get gas... YES YOU WOULD.... I guess I need to step back and think if I want to come to this board....

Not to start anything but some of us have lost everything. My family lost its home in Oklahoma when I was 5 during a tornado. We went through some really hard times. One of the reasons my father moved us here to Alaska when I was 7.

I can understand your disdane for the gas cryiin. Remember one thing tho when you judge us. We are not all perfect, just human.

silverbear

Reaction score
Dallas said:
Done - I dig ya bro your always a stand up guy - I just hate your politics tho.

Fair enough...

We are still buddies. Dont forget my Christmas card again this year please? :D

I'm glad to hear it... it's the same on my end too, just because I snap on a buddy doesn't mean he's not my buddy any more... I KNOW how hard I am to take at times, so anybody who puts up with my BS deserves some patience...

silverbear

Reaction score
banded74 said:

While your perspective has validity, are you REALLY trying to argue that it's OK for the gas companies to gouge us just because a hurricane devastated the Gulf Coast??

Seems to me that it's doubly contemptible for them to use this tragedy for their own profit...