GB - Week 2 Quick Hits

Galian Beast

Reaction score
What can I really say here? I don't want to say I told you so to all the homers that popped up last week after beating a not so great Giants team, but the Cowboys aren't nearly as good as some people make them out to be.

I think the defense is still a year or two away and that has to do with the ingredients not the chef.

What's most concerning is the offense and I place that squarely on Garrett, Linehan ,and Prescott.

Neither one of these guys has respect for the running game, but Prescott is a young player, Linehan and Garrett should know better.

I wouldn't describe Prescott as a bus driver, but he is a game manager. He isn't a 3-4 touchdown a game QB and if the defense doesn't play well and the running game isn't firing on all cylinders we're going to lose games. That's the difference between a HoF caliber QB like Romo and a player like Prescott. Romo won you games, Prescott will try not to lose you games.

That dink and dunk style isn't going to beat top tier teams, especially if the defense lays an egg, which they will from.

Not much to say about the defense although I will bring in continued roster mismanagement. Not at all sure why we didn't bring more defensive backs but instead went deep at WR and still don't play Switzer...

P.S. Why even bother throwing to Brice Butler on 3rd down when he only has a 50-50 chance of holding on to the ball?

Tenkamenin

Reaction score
I agree about Butler, he is a very risky option on third down. He drops catchable balls but makes the toughest catches every now and then. I don't think our receiving game is all that.

dwreck27

Reaction score
Trade for Benwikere and make him inactive when OScan is already out? Pure genius.

Pretty funny when they brought it up how we went heavy on WR instead of corner when everyone in the secondary has a bad hammy

AmericanCowboy

Reaction score
In all honesty, very few qb's are completely capable of winning games themselves in their second year.

Brady couldn't do it, Rodgers couldnt, Brees couldn't. All of this big time throw 300 yards a game qbs took time to develop into that.

We need to make sure we do the same thing with Dak- 28-30 passes a game.

Run 30 times. Keep the balance. The balance has been missing these two weeksz

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm telling you this is linehan's base offense.
It's the same thing you saw on 2015 and everybody knows how to stop it.

Linehan has to swallow his pride and change up this predictable piece of crap. Not sure if we could have won with the offense we ran last year but at least we could have made it a game

canters

Reaction score
Pretty sure the consensus here is that Dez is done and his last contract was a mistake.
Dez never had elite speed. He was a big guy who could run after the catch. He may have lost something after the foot jury. I cannot say if he is just not being used right or has slipped. His contract was not redone last off- season for a reason to create cap space. He will play this deal out and then we will see.

John813

Reaction score
Pretty sure the consensus here is that Dez is done and his last contract was a mistake.

Except at that time of the contract extension, he was "worth" #1 money. He could of handled the process of the negotiation better, as I recall a bunch being ticked off at his tweets/ quotes. Hell, hindsight, with Romos injury and his foot injury, would of been to franchise him, but we were coming off a successful year and well there was no sign he was going to not be that #1 moving forward.

sbark

Reaction score
Bulk Dez up 10-15#'s.........and make him a Jay Novacek type move- TE :).....LOL

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
It comes down to the coaching staff. Spread offense vs an elite secondary...brilliant. You stick to your strength and that is clearly the OL and the running game. Look no further than the chiefs vs the igglets; Hunt was bottled up the entire first half but Reid continue to run and what happens success as Hunt finally breaks through. I'm not saying that would have happened yesterday but 9 rushes for Zeke? If he doesn't have it then you have to give it to Morris 9 times...once the secondary was obliterated in the second quarter with injuries you run to keep the defense off the field. If you lose you go down losing with the strength of this team. I still blame the off coaching staff...just not a fan of red in big games or games with a blueprint on how to win. Just doesn't make sense playing into another teams strength.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
What can I really say here? I don't want to say I told you so to all the homers that popped up last week after beating a not so great Giants team, but the Cowboys aren't nearly as good as some people make them out to be.

I think the defense is still a year or two away and that has to do with the ingredients not the chef.

What's most concerning is the offense and I place that squarely on Garrett, Linehan ,and Prescott.

Neither one of these guys has respect for the running game, but Prescott is a young player, Linehan and Garrett should know better.

I wouldn't describe Prescott as a bus driver, but he is a game manager. He isn't a 3-4 touchdown a game QB and if the defense doesn't play well and the running game isn't firing on all cylinders we're going to lose games. That's the difference between a HoF caliber QB like Romo and a player like Prescott. Romo won you games, Prescott will try not to lose you games.

That dink and dunk style isn't going to beat top tier teams, especially if the defense lays an egg, which they will from.

Not much to say about the defense although I will bring in continued roster mismanagement. Not at all sure why we didn't bring more defensive backs but instead went deep at WR and still don't play Switzer...

P.S. Why even bother throwing to Brice Butler on 3rd down when he only has a 50-50 chance of holding on to the ball?

We should not have expected our D to jell this quickly, then injuries to DB's just killed us, especially with Scandrick out.

The surprising part was how our O had almost nothing that worked. We thought we could count on our blue-chip OL for proficiency in running and pass protection, but it didn't happen. We thought we had so many attack options that we could always sustain drives, but every option failed.

I hope it was altitude rather than attitude or aptitude, but the offense was just painful to watch.

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
Once again, as the season goes on, we will look back at the lost opportunity that was 2016.

This is a 9-7 team at best. Zeke looks slow and maybe the rookie year carries took a toll. I know he has legal distractions, but nobody mentioned the workload from 2016.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Once again, as the season goes on, we will look back at the lost opportunity that was 2016.

This is a 9-7 team at best. Zeke looks slow and maybe the rookie year carries took a toll. I know he has legal distractions, but nobody mentioned the workload from 2016.

the problem is, this is an 8-8 coach who cant adapt. We dont have the Jerry Jones of old and Stephen wont stand up to daddy. which if the rest of the league doesnt respect him, i dont blame them until he earns it.

Anyone who has convinced themselves the Jones are looking only for a SB has more than proof they are wrong.

Decisions needed to be made and both Jones dropped the ball. This team needs a retooling from the top because the team is young, but it will go to waste if someone cant direct the ship.