GB - Week 2 Quick Hits

waving monkey

Reaction score
You've established you can copy and paste and plagiarize.

Drafting Zeke does not in itself make the running game a focus. Using Zeke makes it a focus.
I source thank you. Plagiarize is when you take credit for others work.
Now your your changing your words. Respect is what I responded to not focus. It's not I or others [maybe]
are so in disagreement with your thinking but rather how your expressing your frustration.
Situational understanding of each play called is important.

CWR

Reaction score
Dak averaged 8 yards per attempt. Tony Romo is at 7.9 yards per attempt for his career. Is going deep what Prescott does best? No, but the Cowboys had 38 pass plays of 20 yards or more. -credit :espn:

We have seen alot of dink and dunk of late, but Im going to attribute that more to the defenses. Dak went through this last year vs Minny then NY only to explode vs Tampa.

I do agree he still needs to be protected to an extent as well. Clearly hes not ready to carry the team as Romo did.

CWR

Reaction score
When you're down by multiple scores, yeah... you should probably attempt to go downfield more... This was the same knock on him last year.

Did you watch the game? When would Dak have had the time for that? He was getting killed. Also did you happen to see how often his deep options were covered.

Dont get me wrong I wanted to see deep routes and Dak pushing the ball down the field also but Im not sure anyone could have under those circumstances.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
I source thank you. Plagiarize is when you take credit for others work.
Now your your changing your words. Respect is what I responded to not focus. It's not I or others [maybe]
are so in disagreement with your thinking but rather how your expressing your frustration.
Situational understanding of each play called is important.

Where did you source dallascowboys.com when you copied and pasted that twice?

Oh so you think they respect it but they don't focus on it? It goes hand in hand...

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Did you watch the game? When would Dak have had the time for that? He was getting killed. Also did you happen to see how often his deep options were covered.

Dont get me wrong I wanted to see deep routes and Dak pushing the ball down the field also but Im not sure anyone could have under those circumstances.

How many sacks did Prescott have? He was getting killed? I often saw that he had a clean pocket or that Collins couldn't hold the edge (didn't see a lot of help for Collins either). But some quarterbacks will take the hits and the sacks to get bigger plays... It's how Romo got abused for years.

CWR

Reaction score
How many sacks did Prescott have? He was getting killed? I often saw that he had a clean pocket or that Collins couldn't hold the edge (didn't see a lot of help for Collins either). But some quarterbacks will take the hits and the sacks to get bigger plays... It's how Romo got abused for years.

Im sure youre aware sacks do not tell the entire story. I dont know where to find stats on QB hurries but he spent most of the day in a hurry lol. Understand I also think he had a bad game but Im trying to keep it in context. He didnt often have time to take the shots down the field we needed. There are few QBS that could go into Denver against that defense and have thier oline and running game faulter yet come out shinning.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Im sure youre aware sacks do not tell the entire story. I dont know where to find stats on QB hurries but he spent most of the day in a hurry lol. Understand I also think he had a bad game but Im trying to keep it in context. He didnt often have time to take the shots down the field we needed. There are few QBS that could go into Denver against that defense and have thier oline and running game faulter yet come out shinning.

I'm sure you realize that a hurry is a subjective stat. The fact that he had so few sacks under duress shows that he was not standing in the pocket to get the ball deep.

If you dink and dunk under pressure, the pressure keeps coming. If you don't stretch the field, you'll see the same pressure all day.

Stop making excuses for Dak.

Verdict

Reaction score
Except at that time of the contract extension, he was "worth" #1 money. He could of handled the process of the negotiation better, as I recall a bunch being ticked off at his tweets/ quotes. Hell, hindsight, with Romos injury and his foot injury, would of been to franchise him, but we were coming off a successful year and well there was no sign he was going to not be that #1 moving forward.

Actually a lot of people on this board saw this coming before it happened. Dez has always been the same guy he currently is, everyone is just sort of starting to realize who he is as a player.

Dez doesn't really suck, per se, but he just isn't in the class of the elite receivers. He might not even be in the top 30 receivers. That's not a crime, but to pay him true top 5 money was a bad decision at the time it was done. Even if he had top 5 talent he was a bit of an immature player. That's not hindsight. We had that knowledge going into the negotiations.

Verdict

Reaction score
I'm sure you realize that a hurry is a subjective stat. The fact that he had so few sacks under duress shows that he was not standing in the pocket to get the ball deep.

If you dink and dunk under pressure, the pressure keeps coming. If you don't stretch the field, you'll see the same pressure all day.

Are you saying that QB pressures should never affect a QBs performance? If so that is a pretty unrealistic expectation.

Verdict

Reaction score

You don't have to go throw long to defeat pressure. Screen passes do a great job of nullifying a pass rush but we didn't see those called yesterday. A shovel pass can also defeat pressure. When you can't stop the rush, you have to do something to nullify it by using what it does best against them.

If the guys are gang tackling Zeke 5 deep behind the line of scrimmage then allowing him to throw a couple of halfback passes would stop that from happening dead in its tracks. A five yard pass from Zeke to Beasley suddenly becomes 6 points.

mardwin

Reaction score

I'm in concurrence, nobody here is pulling for Dak to fail. Everyone wants him to take the next step and he has shown the ability to be able to do it. You have to be aggressive when defenses don't respect your passing game like the Giants and Broncos did.

John813

Reaction score
Actually a lot of people on this board saw this coming before it happened. Dez has always been the same guy he currently is, everyone is just sort of starting to realize who he is as a player.

Dez doesn't really suck, per se, but he just isn't in the class of the elite receivers. He might not even be in the top 30 receivers. That's not a crime, but to pay him true top 5 money was a bad decision at the time it was done. Even if he had top 5 talent he was a bit of an immature player. That's not hindsight. We had that knowledge going into the negotiations.

Which is why the F.O. dragged so long on getting the long term deal done, IMO. And why we haven't restructured his deal. They caved on giving him that deal cause they didn't want any disgruntled key player going into 2015(to try to repeat the 2014 magic) and with Romo they had great chemistry. I just disagree about him not being an "elite" receiver when he had Romo throwing him the ball. Sure, that sounds weird, but Romo knew exactly where and when to throw the ball to him. Then Dez's freak ability allowed him to come down with the ball, circus catch or not, and he had the power to punish corners with his YAC ability. From 2012 to 2014, he had 273 catches for 3,935 yards and 31 touchdowns. Those are great numbers, and IMO I don't think anyone would think he would suffer such a foot injury/Romo couldn't stay healthy at all 2015 on. And when he signed his deal, he only missed 5 games in 5 years and was turning 27. Still had a good shot at staying in his "prime" for another 2 years, the realistic window for Romo at the time IMO

Him and Demaryius Thomas had the similar/close enough stats those 3 years and both were waiting for the other to sign a deal to copy it.

2012: 8th in catches, 3rd in TDs, 6th in yards
2013: 8th in catches, 2nd in TDs(1 behind #1), 13th in yards.
2014: 10th in catches, #1 in TDs, 8th in yards.

Where he lacked in total catches, he made it up with the TDs, being a reliable target for Romo closer to the endzone.

CWR

Reaction score

So now a qb has to get sacked to prove he was pressured? I saw the game, Im sorry but I suppose we will have to disagree. He had Von Miller all over him.

Its not an excuse just context and I won't nor have I said he had a good game. He played sub par and the pressure did not help. Are quick passes not helpful to avoid pressure? Also why did our staff not recognize what was going on and start rolling him outside of the pocket? All said Dak wasnt good and neither was anyone else, except Dlaw.

If Dak comes back next week and lights up the Cards where are you on him? I ask because there were a ton of haters after Minny and NY last year (both top defenses) but his performance against Tampa shut them up.

Lets also consider hes a second year player and by no means a savy vet. The kid has earned a little leash, Im willing to let him play it out before I start casting stones.

CWR

Reaction score
That's a fallacy. They just haven't panned out.

Not only is it a fallacy, its completely played out and the information is readily available. Those still crying about this are just lazy.

Verdict

Reaction score
Not only is it a fallacy, its completely played out and the information is readily available. Those still crying about this are just lazy.

Agreed. We have spent plenty of resources on defense including two trade ups, Claiborne and Lawrence. Then there is the Gregory fiasco.

You don't have to draft a first round player for that guy to be expected to contribute significantly. Our guys are just off the field or underperforming on defense as a general rule. Part of that may be due to coaching.

Reactions: CWR

CWR

Reaction score
Agreed. We have spent plenty of resources on defense including two trade ups, Claiborne and Lawrence. Then there is the Gregory fiasco.

You don't have to draft a first round player for that guy to be expected to contribute significantly. Our guys are just off the field or underperforming on defense as a general rule. Part of that may be due to coaching.

I wish we could borrow the Giants defensive scouts. Thier Dline seems to always be good.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Are you saying that QB pressures should never affect a QBs performance? If so that is a pretty unrealistic expectation.

I love when people read what they want to hear. No, I said hurries are a subjective statistic. It's impossible to say 1 hurry equated to the exact same impact as another hurry. Some QBs can be hurried but they still stand tall in the pocket and get the ball out. Same with QB hits. The impact the hurry/hit had on the play is different everytime. The fact that he didn't take many sacks tells me he needs to hold the ball longer and take some shots down field.

Verdict

Reaction score
I love when people read what they want to hear. No, I said hurries are a subjective statistic. It's impossible to say 1 hurry equated to the exact same impact as another hurry. Some QBs can be hurried but they still stand tall in the pocket and get the ball out. Same with QB hits. The impact the hurry/hit had on the play is different everytime. The fact that he didn't take many sacks tells me he needs to hold the ball longer and take some shots down field.

I don't think he needed to hold the ball longer in their game unless he just wanted to get sympathy for getting sacked. He was under duress pretty much all day long. I'm not sure how anyone could see it differently, but to each his own.

There were a lot of problems with this game but Dak needing to hold the ball longer isn't one of them.