GBN: AJ Hawk Runs a 4.38 at Pro Day

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
The Ohio State track is notorious for fast times. A lot of people believe its several yards short of 40 meter.

I hope its several yards short of 40 meters. About 4 actually.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Va Tech | Plans to renovate track
Thu, 9 Mar 2006 1:57:14 -0800

Jonathan James of Hokiesports.com reports that officials in Virigina Tech's football department have appropriated funds to shorten the Hokie timing track from 36.5 yards to 35.5 yards, with construction to begin immediately. An unnamed official was reportedly overheard saying, "No one is going to out-phony our 40 times."

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
The Ohio State track is notorious for fast times. A lot of people believe its several yards short of 40 meter.

well, if you are running hte 40 yard dash, youd prolly wnat it slightly shorter than 40 meters

Ashwynn

Reaction score
While Hawk is a good backer, I think 40 times are irrelivent and misleading and too many pple fall in love with the time. Then come to hate the Randall Williams of the world. While Hawk wont ever be a bust, I dont care what his 40 times are. How many times will he ever need to run 40 yards. 10 times in his career maybe.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Everyone grab a stopwatch and time how long it takes yourself to hit the button to start it and stop it. Not much difference between a 4.4 and a 4.6 eh?

The 40 time is so overrated it's embarrasing. Game speed is what matters.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
Avery said:
Everyone grab a stopwatch and time how long it takes yourself to hit the button to start it and stop it. Not much difference between a 4.4 and a 4.6 eh?

The 40 time is so overrated it's embarrasing. Game speed is what matters.

Truer words were never spoken...People get WAY too caught up in 40 times.

As we all know Emmitt Smith didn't have anywhere near a great 40 time for RunningBacks and he did OK.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
OHIO STATE: MARCH 9
There were five head coaches present -- Pittsburgh's Bill Cowher, Chicago's Lovie Smith, Detroit's Rod Marinelli, Cleveland's Romeo Crennel and the Giants' Tom Coughlin -- and about 100 team scouts and representatives. The players ran outdoors on a strip of extremely fast AstroTurf that has been down there for some years.

Player Position Gil's comments
A.J. Hawk LB Hawk was clocked at 4.49 and 4.42 in the 40.

Santonio Holmes WR Holmes weighed 179 pounds -- nine less than he did at the Combine -- and he was timed at 4.34 and 4.36 in the 40.

Bobby Carpenter LB Carpenter is only 90 percent healthy, according to trainers, but he ran the 40 in 4.66 and 4.68.

Nate Salley FS Salley ran the 40 in 4.50 and 4.56.

Anthony Schlegel LB Schlegel was timed at 4.79 and 4.76 in the 40.

Rob Sims OT Sims did not run at the Combine and he pulled up again in the 40 with the same right hamstring problem.

Donte Whitner SS Whitner was clocked at 4.39 and 4.37 in the 40.

Ashton Youboty CB Youboty ran the 40 in 4.43 and 4.45.

Dayton Cowboy

Reaction score
I wonder how much slower Carpenter is because of the injury? Also I expected Schlegel to be a bit faster than he timed.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Dayton_Cowboy said:
I wonder how much slower Carpenter is because of the injury? Also I expected Schlegel to be a bit faster than he timed.

I'm not surprised Carpenter ran slower than expected. You aren't going to be top speed coming off of an ankle injury. Still a decent time for a guy that size.

I don't think he could really have done much speed work in the last couple of months? Still faster than Greenway.

Any numbers on reps, shuttles, cone drills, etc?

austintodallas

Consider Yourself Sucked
Reaction score
BigDFan5 said:
Bobby Carpenter LB Carpenter is only 90 percent healthy, according to trainers, but he ran the 40 in 4.66 and 4.68.
Actually I think that's extremely impressive just a few months removed from a broken ankle.

This guy is gonna be a player in the NFL. I sure hope it's with us!

Reaction score
Man I don't like any Ohio St. linebacker, I say trade down, pick up some later round picks and draft Manny Lawson!!!!!

MiStar

Reaction score
What could people possibly have against OSU linebackers? #1 Rush D in the country just about says it all.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Someone wrote an article a few years ago that explained how phony NFL 40 times are. I don't recall the exact #s, but it said that Ben Johnson ran 40 yards at about 4.3 in his record-breaking 'roided up 100M record. If one is to believe NFL 40 times, there are dozens of NFL players faster than Johnson. I think we all know that's bunk.

If it were electronically timed, Hawk's 40 was probably a 4.6. And I doubt any NFL player or prospect can legitimately run the 4.2s we'll see reported over the next few weeks.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80 said:
Man I don't like any Ohio St. linebacker, I say trade down, pick up some later round picks and draft Manny Lawson!!!!!

This is a BANNING Offense!:D

Dayton Cowboy

Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80 said:

Why is it you don't like the linebackers? Or is it you just don't like Ohio State in general?