George: Cowboys are more likely to pursue Colt McCoy, Chase Daniel **UPDATE: Both off Market now**

MrPhil

Reaction score
I don't want to address every point because you want to disagree with me which is okay. Your real disagreement is with Jerry and I doubt Jerry is
going to change since he owns the team and has operated this way for 20 years.

Just for information. Brady takes off Wednesdays too and has for several years. The Cowboys just followed the Patriots pattern with Romo when
he hurt his back.

Fair enough, we can agree to disagree. You are correct in that Jerry is not going to change. Fortunately, I have more faith in Stephen and Will McClay and they appear to be talking more control, slowly. Hopefully that continues.

I still think that once you start permanently limiting guys in practice (i.e. taking days off to save your body) then that should be taken as a sign to those in charge that you should be preparing for life after [insert name of player here]. I think the days off are a good thing, but it needs to be coupled with a sound plan for the future of that particular position.

LittleD

Reaction score
Fair enough, we can agree to disagree. You are correct in that Jerry is not going to change. Fortunately, I have more faith in Stephen and Will McClay and they appear to be talking more control, slowly. Hopefully that continues.

I still think that once you start permanently limiting guys in practice (i.e. taking days off to save your body) then that should be taken as a sign to those in charge that you should be preparing for life after [insert name of player here]. I think the days off are a good thing, but it needs to be coupled with a sound plan for the future of that particular position.

You make a sound case but, I think Romo functioned very well in 2014 and took almost every Wednesday off. If we do get a decent backup QB, that
gives him a day of rotation and working with the first team that most backups never get. You are probably correct that Stephen and Will McClay are
being given more say and control though Jerry still signs all the checks I believe.

plymkr

Reaction score
A QB that hasn't had to play enough to get exposed so he keeps a NFL job until he does.

That doesn't sound encouraging. If I had to choose between the two it would be Colt.

The Natural

Reaction score
Looking at those names is depressing and shows just how important it is for us to draft a QB. The position is just too important to mess around with scrubs who are bouncing from team to team.

I've been on the "take Bpa regardless of position" all off season but I am coming around to this idea. its the beginning of FA and we're sitting here talking about signing colt mccoy or chase freaking daniels. I'm throwing in the towel on my previous stance..just draft a Qb at 4, hell grab another Qb in the mid rounds too they cant be any worse than these two career backups

rpntex

Reaction score
Won a state title with Southlake Carroll then went on to be really good for Missou.
Spread system guy and never more than pro back up but he's been considered a plus back up.
Why waste cap space on signing those bums, when the QB we draft will already be better than both of them.

And yes, i do believe goff or wentz will be better than both of them even as a rookie.

Well, that makes one of you...

While there"s no doubt that Wentz and Goff (and Lynch, too, for that matter) will eventually be better than either McCoy or Daniel, you"re fooling yourself if you think a rookie can immediately adapt to the speed of the pro game. Even the best ones needed that first year to get acclimated. And while I have no doubt that any of these three guys COULD handle it, why do it if you don't have to? I've been watching football far too long, and have seen more than a few young QBS ruined after being rushed on to the field before they were ready.

I'm not arguing against drafting a QB, mind you. I would just rather have a vet as a "safe" backup while Gof/Wentz/Lynch get their feet wet.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Well, that makes one of you...

While there"s no doubt that Wentz and Goff (and Lynch, too, for that matter) will eventually be better than either McCoy or Daniel, you"re fooling yourself if you think a rookie can immediately adapt to the speed of the pro game. Even the best ones needed that first year to get acclimated. And while I have no doubt that any of these three guys COULD handle it, why do it if you don't have to? I've been watching football far too long, and have seen more than a few young QBS ruined after being rushed on to the field before they were ready.

I'm not arguing against drafting a QB, mind you. I would just rather have a vet as a "safe" backup while Gof/Wentz/Lynch get their feet wet.
Man what? These two QBs are scrubs. There have been plenty of QBs that came in as a rookie and played fairly well.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Is there a better back up qb option than either of those two? and if you are arguing that they are not pro ready week1, id still ask who would you add that will keep us a float if Romo goes down week 1

McCoy or Daniel

lostar2009

Reaction score
He just has limitations with the go routes and defenses know they can play up close to jump the ball and intercept. Actually, Romo
doesn't throw the deep ball as well as he did 5 years ago. Moore will always be limited in the NFL and defenses will react and learn
how to defense him.

Yeah Romo arm was weak but it was good enough to play in the NFL. Romo could never let it go 40 yards and hit someone in stride. Romo can cut zone defenses up but seen to struggle when they play man. Moore is the opposite plays well against man coverage but may struggle against zone. Some of his balls may float and he can lose track of safties.

jnday

Reaction score
Stephen and Will McClay do though and they will get some cheap guys to fill all the holes. The draft
is where you build your team to help Romo get to the playoffs. I would take McCoy or Chase Daniel
over Moore at this point. He just too small and his noodle arm can't deliver the pass without too many ints.

Jerry said it at the combine... Only focusing on Romo's window not the next 10 years. Best bet is they will get some kind of
experienced backup for Romo probably McCoy or Chase Daniel. If you're gambling on Goff or Wentz, better to flush your money
having fun in Vegas.

I know that drafting a QB with the 4th pick is not going to happen. This team is too short-sighted to look beyond the next couple of years with Romo. Then we will have ten years of entertaining failure after failure that will result in a starting QB not being found.

Cmac

Reaction score
Colt will be brought in :(
He's obviously the guy getting the audition.
Dad is a long-time Texas High School coach with ties galore.

Not exactly exacting.

Chase is a Texas kid as well, from Southlake Carroll.

Let me get this right......being homegrown is more important than performance.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Let me get this right......being homegrown is more important than performance.

Not to me, no.
But the Cowboys love homegrown guys. Especially in the non-starring roles. i.e. back up QB.
I do not think Colt is a future starter but they as a back up he is the kind of guy they target.

I am suggesting this will happen based upon them, not me.

We shall see.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
Romo and Witten got the verbal from Mccoy last week at the basketball game. Its already done.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Romo and Witten got the verbal from Mccoy last week at the basketball game. Its already done.

Schefter is reporting McCoy is returning to Washington. I guess they did not do a good enough job.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Maybe it is because I am not a UT or Mizzou fan...but I just don't see either as being any better than the backup QBs we had last year.

Probably get roasted for it but so be it.

Sunday-Roast-e1370586525737.jpg

That's for insulting Chase Daniel!

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Schefter is reporting McCoy is returning to Washington. I guess they did not do a good enough job.

And word is that despite the Bradford deal, Doug Pederson and the Eagles are still high on Chase Daniel. It looks like we won't be getting either of these guys.

Get ready for the sell-job about how Kellen Moore wasn't that bad...

:angry:

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Report: Commanders Re-Signing Quarterback Colt McCoy

ESPN’s Adam Schefter is reportingthat the Commanders and the quarterback will agree to new terms to have McCoy back in Washington for at least a third season in 2016.

Read the rest...or not... http://www.Commanders.com/news-and-...lt-McCoy/ff680e89-1486-4b9b-b328-f0239e94288b

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
And word is that despite the Bradford deal, Doug Pederson and the Eagles are still high on Chase Daniel. It looks like we won't be getting either of these guys.

Get ready for the sell-job about how Kellen Moore wasn't that bad...

:angry:

They have already put it out there about Moore being capable.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They have already put it out there about Moore being capable.

That's good. Get a jump start on quelling the disappointment.

And we've apparently learned absolutely nothing from last year.

:facepalm: