George: Cowboys are more likely to pursue Colt McCoy, Chase Daniel **UPDATE: Both off Market now**

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Let's just go the reject route for a back-up cause it worked so well last year.

I do not see the difference between any QB we could likely sign off the street and the disaster crew we marched in there last year. It is just repeating the same insanity.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I do not see the difference between any QB we could likely sign off the street and the disaster crew we marched in there last year. It is just repeating the same insanity.

It all boils down to the fact that jerry has convinced himself that Romo can stay healthy all year. The only reason he believes that is because he paid him so much money he can't afford not to.

Yeah for us.

I'm just praying that after the draft I'll be praising Jerry for blowing the biggest smoke screen in Cowboys history

LittleD

Reaction score
This is the same shortsighted mindset Jerry used to bring us Joey Galloway at the cost of not one but two 1st round picks. It was all in the name of trying to get Troy Aikman and that team to one more Super Bowl.....it didn't work out that well. Apparently Jerry hasn't learned his lesson about being shortsighted.

You are correct, Romo is the current franchise QB and the problem isn't that people don't listen. The problem is that Dallas Cowboys as an organization have been talking out both sides of their mouths when it comes to talk of drafting a QB. They are probably doing it on purpose so as to not tip their hand; strategery as GW would say. To buy anything any of them say as gospel at this point in time would be incredibly naïve. Also, just because Jerry says we don't need a new QB for 3-5 years doesn't make it so. If Jerry came out and said that we would come into contact with alien life in 3-5 years, would you believe him?

Anything can happen before those 5 years are up. Romo could decide to hang them up in 2 or 3 years for a variety of reasons such as health, wanting to spend more time with his family, etc. The team could decide to release him in 2 or 3 years as a cap measure. The point is that nobody really knows how much longer Romo will play, NOBODY. Romo is at the age where, physically, his body just cant hold up as well as it used to. I mean, he has been taking Weds off from practice for how many years now? That was done in an effort to save his body from the rigors of NFL football. Was it logical? Yes. But, it was also a sign from mother nature that he is playing a young man's game and he isn't young anymore in football-years.

They have to plan for the future at QB, it is the most important position on the field bar none. If they don't believe that any of the QBs in this draft is worth the #4 overall pick, fine don't take one. But if one, or both, of them are graded as potential franchise QBs and they don't find a way to take one, then shame on them and they will deserve every ounce of scorn that will be heaped upon them.

You forget. They didn't plan for Aikman to exit and Jerry is not planning for Romo to exit. Jerry may even extend Romo
again just like the Patriots did. Arizona's Palmer was hurt quite a bit and he's about Romo's age and they aren't planning
for him to leave either.

LittleD

Reaction score
A week before this Jerry Quote he said if a franchise QB is available at 4, we will take him. Jerry is blowing smoke ..

That's the problem...I don't think the Cowboy's staff thinks there is a franchise QB in this year's draft. You are right that they could
be blowing smoke and we won't know for sure till draft day but, I get the feeling from listening to DC.com staff that they will
bypass QB's to get Romo defensive help.

LittleD

Reaction score
And Stephen has said the opposite. Why would Jerry say we will draft a QB at 4, when a team like SF may jump ahead of us and take who we want?

Playing poker is a Jerry favorite. If you can get someone to jump ahead of you to select a QB you don't want, it pushes more of
the players you do want right into your hands. Jerry is looking for Rams or SF to jump in front of us or make a trade with us. Just
smart poker.

The Natural

Reaction score
CZ when RG3 is brought up: No, we dont want no retread QB!

CZ when 2 QB's who have played for a combined 6 teams and have 10 wins between them are mentioned: Now that's what I'm talking about!

lol. I'll be sick if they sign either of these two scrubs

lostar2009

Reaction score
Stephen and Will McClay do though and they will get some cheap guys to fill all the holes. The draft
is where you build your team to help Romo get to the playoffs. I would take McCoy or Chase Daniel
over Moore at this point. He just too small and his noodle arm can't deliver the pass without too many ints.

Jerry said it at the combine... Only focusing on Romo's window not the next 10 years. Best bet is they will get some kind of
experienced backup for Romo probably McCoy or Chase Daniel. If you're gambling on Goff or Wentz, better to flush your money
having fun in Vegas.

I dunno I think Moore could be what we need. He did throw some ints but half of those was miscommunication. I agree his arm us lacking but I saw him do some serious damage with those come back routes. If I'm not mistaken Colt arm is no better. I'll rather see this team draft a qb in rounds 2 or 3.

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe it is because I am not a UT or Mizzou fan...but I just don't see either as being any better than the backup QBs we had last year.

Probably get roasted for it but so be it.

silver

Reaction score
Playing poker is a Jerry favorite. If you can get someone to jump ahead of you to select a QB you don't want, it pushes more of
the players you do want right into your hands. Jerry is looking for Rams or SF to jump in front of us or make a trade with us. Just
smart poker.
Is it? Or is he trying again to get cute with the most important position on the field?

He admited as much back in November:

“I’ve tried to get cute — and I don’t mind saying tried to be cute — at the quarterback spot. I tried to get us what I thought was the equivalent of a Romo with Quincy Carter in the third round,” Jones said. “We tried to get one that was drafted high, obviously in somebody’s eyes had high potential, in this case Mike Holmgren thought Weeden was certainly a first-round pick and he had a lot of credentials coming out of Oklahoma State.”

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Still need a backup QB. Everyone just seems to forget this little fact.

Is there a better back up qb option than either of those two? and if you are arguing that they are not pro ready week1, id still ask who would you add that will keep us a float if Romo goes down week 1

MrPhil

Reaction score
You forget. They didn't plan for Aikman to exit and Jerry is not planning for Romo to exit. Jerry may even extend Romo
again just like the Patriots did. Arizona's Palmer was hurt quite a bit and he's about Romo's age and they aren't planning
for him to leave either.

I am not forgetting. On the contrary, their lack of planning (or preparation) is exactly the problem. Troy was around 34 or 35 when he retired and according to him, it was the persistent (key word) back injuries that led to his retirement. I am going to assume that the team was well aware of these issues through the team doctors. The fact that they did little to plan for his departure is damning. Worse, it wasn't until they hit the lottery with Romo three years after Aikman retired that they had his replacement. I would argue that was blind luck rather than a well thought out strategy. Now Romo is 36 years old and also having back issues. I don't know enough to say Romo's back issues are persistent but the fact that the regular plan for him has been to sit out Weds practices is very telling in my opinion. Similar movie, just 16 years newer.

All due respect, how do you know so emphatically that Arizona is not planning for Palmer's retirement? Will you feel any differently if they draft Paxton Lynch in the first round this year?

As for the Patriots, and Tom Brady, at least they have invested a high-round (2nd I believe) draft pick on a QB recently. It would seem they do have an eye towards life after Brady....who knew teams actually did that? Although it seems Tom Brady is ageless with whatever crazy diet and exercise regimen he has going on. However, I think he is the exception rather than the rule.

CowboyGil

Reaction score
RG3's going to be the starter somewhere next season. So forget about him. There's a reason these guys are back ups. You can't expect to not have some dropoff between your starter and backup. Unlike Weeden and Cassel, these guys are still fairly young. I seriously doubt the team will use the #4 pick on a QB. It'll probably be defense.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Looking at those names is depressing and shows just how important it is for us to draft a QB. The position is just too important to mess around with scrubs who are bouncing from team to team.

TX Cowboy

Reaction score
Lmao so we know have to pick between the lesser of 2 zero's to back up Romo this season? neither
are really impressive quite actually, But Jerruh leaves us no choice, So I say Daniels, Only because
Reid is a good head coach and gets alot out of his players but his numbers are pitiful so pray we won't
need to allow this kid the chance to start anytime soon

LittleD

Reaction score
I am not forgetting. On the contrary, their lack of planning (or preparation) is exactly the problem. Troy was around 34 or 35 when he retired and according to him, it was the persistent (key word) back injuries that led to his retirement. I am going to assume that the team was well aware of these issues through the team doctors. The fact that they did little to plan for his departure is damning. Worse, it wasn't until they hit the lottery with Romo three years after Aikman retired that they had his replacement. I would argue that was blind luck rather than a well thought out strategy. Now Romo is 36 years old and also having back issues. I don't know enough to say Romo's back issues are persistent but the fact that the regular plan for him has been to sit out Weds practices is very telling in my opinion. Similar movie, just 16 years newer.

All due respect, how do you know so emphatically that Arizona is not planning for Palmer's retirement? Will you feel any differently if they draft Paxton Lynch in the first round this year?

As for the Patriots, and Tom Brady, at least they have invested a high-round (2nd I believe) draft pick on a QB recently. It would seem they do have an eye towards life after Brady....who knew teams actually did that? Although it seems Tom Brady is ageless with whatever crazy diet and exercise regimen he has going on. However, I think he is the exception rather than the rule.

I don't want to address every point because you want to disagree with me which is okay. Your real disagreement is with Jerry and I doubt Jerry is
going to change since he owns the team and has operated this way for 20 years.

Just for information. Brady takes off Wednesdays too and has for several years. The Cowboys just followed the Patriots pattern with Romo when
he hurt his back.

LittleD

Reaction score
Is it? Or is he trying again to get cute with the most important position on the field?

He admited as much back in November:

You know Jerry just as much as I do and how he operates on draft day. Jerry takes his cues from Donald Trump. He loves the
art of the deal. I don't see that changing with a "wildcat wheeler dealer" like Jerry.

LittleD

Reaction score
I dunno I think Moore could be what we need. He did throw some ints but half of those was miscommunication. I agree his arm us lacking but I saw him do some serious damage with those come back routes. If I'm not mistaken Colt arm is no better. I'll rather see this team draft a qb in rounds 2 or 3.

He just has limitations with the go routes and defenses know they can play up close to jump the ball and intercept. Actually, Romo
doesn't throw the deep ball as well as he did 5 years ago. Moore will always be limited in the NFL and defenses will react and learn
how to defense him.