RELEASED Gerald McCoy released w/injury waiver

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Because they wanted their shot at a player they deemed good.

People aren't seeming to understand that this injury wasn't a given, it was a possibility that ended up happening.

he had a partial tear.

no way that knee holds up.

I will say this...his agent did an excellent job of selling his client.

btw, anyone with a jacked knee knows this. Try doing the duck walk excercise.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Give Cowboys Management Credit here. Clearly there was a pre-existing condition and they protecting themselves with how the contract was drawn. It's unfortunate it played out, but it was a smart, business decision. Don't feel bad for McCoy either, not playing a single snap and he is receiving 3 million to rehab. If he proves to be healthy next off-season, it wouldn't surprise me to see him resign with the team.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think it was a smart move by the Cowboys, they get some money back and have talked to McCoy about resigning him for next season.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
he had a partial tear.

no way that knee holds up.

I will say this...his agent did an excellent job of selling his client.

btw, anyone with a jacked knee knows this. Try doing the duck walk excercise.

Where are you seeing he had a partial tear?

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
in that range im sure, it was a good business move, bring him back even cheaper next season if he wants back..now we can use it on another player, maybe his replacement if Gallimore and Hill unimpressive the next month,,
his replacement is crawford. Poe is back so tyrone will switch over to start at the 3tech until somebody beats him out

DFWJC

Reaction score
yeah... I guess I should shut up about Dak wanting to get as much as possible.
Man the NFL is a cruel league but its something we all knew.
Entirely different scenarios.

McCoy has already made about 120 million dollars playing the NFL.

McCoy was damaged goods but had a chance of putting together a few more good seasons.
Dallas was willing to risk it but with a few protections.
They gave him a shot plus 3 million guaranteed just to show up in exchange for some sort of protection against a higher probability injury based on what the team doctors found and McCoy's past.

Both parties signed up for this trade-off knowingly.
Again, McCoy has already made 120 million

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
yeah... I guess I should shut up about Dak wanting to get as much as possible.
Man the NFL is a cruel league but its something we all knew.

What was cruel about this? lol

He got 3 million bucks and he can sign another deal next year if he wants wherever he wants.

dckid

Reaction score

McCoy was damaged goods but had a chance of putting together a few more good seasons.
They gave him a shot plus 3 million guaranteed just to show up in exchange for some sort of protection against a higher probability injury based on what the team doctors found and McCoy's past.

Guys you are missing my point here. Replace McCoy will run of the mill average player who has 4 years in the league who just signs first mid level deal. I am not feeling sorry for McCoy. The NFL is a bottom line league it and it has to be... so my point is do not begrudge a player for wanting as much money as they want.
We never begrudge owners for being greedy. We sometimes live in a such an upside down world where we are more sympathetic to the owners plight vs the players.
I am one of the few who says dont pay Dak, because in my opinion you should not pay good players great player money. You can never overpay, Brady, Peyton, Aaron, Mahomes type players.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Risk reward probably swung in their favor for a player of his quality when healthy.
:hammer:

Both went in with eyes wide open, but Dallas felt it was worth the risk as long as they were covered for the very worst outcome.
I'm sure Jerry is bummed that he basically gave away 3 million cash for no return, but that was the premium he paid for the possible reward.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How long was the original contract for?

I was just gonna say this. People are acting like the Cowboys eft him. He signed it knowing what was in it. Enthusiastically.

And yes...sure...nothing wrong with players "trying to get as much as they can". Nothing wrong with the team saying no. It's how it works. As someone said.....3 million for some summer workouts...oh poor me I guess I have mow some lawns to make the bills...welcome to real street life.