Gerald Willis III

Hardline

Reaction score
I've been looking over a few mocks today at Footballs Future forum and several had this guy going to us at 58.

Its not someone we've really discussed

Anyway Let's here those break downs

Last edited:

cnuball21

Reaction score
Dudes a beast, I put him on my shortlist a few weeks ago as I think he’d be a great option if he falls to our 2nd round pick.

Check out his LSU tape.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Zierlein...

Feast or famine 3-technique whose game is characterized by splashy wins and glaring losses from snap to snap. Willis is a one-gapper who has enough initial quickness and footwork to find success in the backfield, but poor pad level gets him bludgeoned by double teams too frequently. He's an active rusher with change of direction to harass the pocket which could bolster his draft stock and make him a rotational backup with eventual starter potential if he plays with a more functional pad level.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Zierlein...

Feast or famine 3-technique whose game is characterized by splashy wins and glaring losses from snap to snap. Willis is a one-gapper who has enough initial quickness and footwork to find success in the backfield, but poor pad level gets him bludgeoned by double teams too frequently. He's an active rusher with change of direction to harass the pocket which could bolster his draft stock and make him a rotational backup with eventual starter potential if he plays with a more functional pad level.

Feast or famine seems like an exaggeration, but he is a bit raw. He’s got an interesting background, but showed stretches of dominance this year.

One to keep an eye on throughout the process.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"He's going to have to get that pad level corrected or he's going to have a hard time staying on the field. He's either in the backfield or getting knocked around. No in-between with him." -- Personnel director with AFC team

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Another guy I'm not high on. Seems like he plays well when Miami is rolling and disappears when Miami is getting whooped. Was a nonfactor in the 2 or 3 Hurricane games I watched live.

cnuball21

Reaction score
"He's going to have to get that pad level corrected or he's going to have a hard time staying on the field. He's either in the backfield or getting knocked around. No in-between with him." -- Personnel director with AFC team

Certainly going to need some technique work after being out in 2017, but racking up 50+ tackles and 15+ TFLs in a fairly good conference is pretty darn good for something still figuring it out.

cristglo

Reaction score
He is fairly raw and will need to work on his technique and there is no one better then Rod to help this kid out. Hes got the build and has shown he can thrive he is a player worth keeping an eye on!

cristglo

Reaction score
The Cowboys scouts made several trips to Arizona State games and to a practice I thought it was about Nkeal maybe taking a look at Renell Wren??

cnuball21

Reaction score
The Cowboys scouts made several trips to Arizona State games and to a practice I thought it was about Nkeal maybe taking a look at Renell Wren??

Wrens another interesting dude...Brugler recently mocked him to us.

Good traits, but even more raw then Willis IMO. Like him more as a 3rd round option.

cristglo

Reaction score
Wrens another interesting dude...Brugler recently mocked him to us.

Good traits, but even more raw then Willis IMO. Like him more as a 3rd round option.

i would have to agree would you see him as more of an upside to what we have already on the roster? I havent really paid much attention to him going to go back and take a look at him and will take a closer look at him during the combine

Verdammung

Reaction score
Penetrating run defender; wins with quickness, sheds blocks, and makes plays in backfield.
Lightweight; consistently proves easy to be knocked off balance and as effective as he can be shedding blocks he is susceptible to getting blown off the ball.
Inconsistent speed; possibly related to his motor. He doesn't run towards ball carriers; he jobs towards them.
Surprisingly underwhelming as a pass rusher given his quickness off the snap.
On the subject of misdirection; not bad in terms of eye discipline, but noticeably worse from a block shedding and pass rushing aspect against misdirection plays.
Minor concern about him getting into correct position.

I have a third round grade on him at the moment.

cnuball21

Reaction score
i would have to agree would you see him as more of an upside to what we have already on the roster? I havent really paid much attention to him going to go back and take a look at him and will take a closer look at him during the combine

He’s a better athlete and has higher upside than any DT on the roster, but he’ll take some work so there’s some risk/reward there.

So I think he’d be a great option in the 3rd but might be hesitant in the 2nd. If he blows up the combine he might go in 2nd.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I've been looking over a few mocks today at Footballs Future forum and several had this guy going to us at 58.

i been talking bout willis for awhile. He.s fast off the snap and give you passrush inside. The thing with him is he's lazy, and he has off the field problems.

A guy i been looking at and really like is Isaiah Buggs from Alabama. Hes everything this team uses at the 3tech.

Verdammung

Reaction score
i been talking bout willis for awhile. He.s fast off the snap and give you passrush inside. The thing with him is he's lazy, and he has off the field problems.

A guy i been looking at and really like is Isaiah Buggs from Alabama. Hes everything this team uses at the 3tech.

Man, I really don't want Buggs. Aside from my general suspicions about Bama players, he's a total projection. He played more end than tackle, and he was coached pretty much to be the exact opposite of the up field penetrating 3-tech that Marinelli wants.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Man, I really don't want Buggs. Aside from my general suspicions about Bama players, he's a total projection. He played more end than tackle, and he was coached pretty much to be the exact opposite of the up field penetrating 3-tech that Marinelli wants.
He is a younger Crawford. And we see how much this team loves him

DanA

Reaction score
I see him as a good, solid late 3rd round pick. I don't see the high second rounder that's being talked about.

cnuball21

Reaction score

Haven’t dug into him much, but initial thoughts are he’s a tweener. Do not want one of those.

Beaker42

Reaction score

Give me Simmons, even injured.

Hardline

Reaction score
Give me Simmons, even injured.
I agree but its highly unlikely he's still on the board.
He will be a great value pick to a team that picks in the upper 2nd round. That's if he gets out of the first round.