'Geronimo': Code name for bin Laden blasted

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
'Geronimo': Code name for bin Laden blasted

WASHINGTON — The top staffer for the Senate Indian Affairs Committee and a Native American tribe are objecting to the U.S. military's use of the code name "Geronimo" for Osama bin Laden during the raid that killed the al-Qaida leader.

After bin Laden was killed, the military sent a message back to the White House: "Geronimo EKIA" — enemy killed in action.

Geronimo was an Apache leader in the 19th century who spent many years fighting the Mexican and U.S. armies until his surrender in 1886.

To read more, please click this link: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42897871/ns/world_news-death_of_bin_laden/

Doomsday101

Reaction score
They were going to go with BUCKWHEAT but changed it at the last second. :laugh2:

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
Maybe they should start using names of universally hated figures, like Operation Caligula or Slobodan.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Wow, people should also be shot for being stupid. :rolleyes: It was a freaking code name. :banghead:

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
vta;3941416 said:
Maybe they should start using names of universally hated figures, like Operation Caligula or Slobodan.

Maybe they should have called it "Operation Kill Osama bin Laden" and the terrorist would have thought it was actually a code name for something else! :laugh2:

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
Doomsday101;3941439 said:
Operation Tressel sounds even better. :laugh2:

There will be no death photo's...you won't be able to see the blood on his Sweater Vest.

:D

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Guess they're still sore about trading Manhattan for some fire water and shiny beads.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
nyc;3941420 said:
Wow, people should also be shot for being stupid. :rolleyes: It was a freaking code name. :banghead:

If they had used the name George Washington would you have been a little perturbed?

I realize you arn't Native American.. but Geronimo is a cultural hero to them.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
bbgun;3941483 said:
Guess they're still sore about trading Manhattan for some fire water and shiny beads.

Im not even Native American and im offended by the ignorance of this comment.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;3941511 said:
Im not even Native American and im offended by the ignorance of this comment.

Um, it was a joke, not an assertion of historical fact--although in retrospect they did get fleeced. What say we bury the hatchet? Oops, sorry.

http://img820.*************/img820/2466/9dde47879b05dd76728d49d.jpg

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;3941499 said:
If they had used the name George Washington would you have been a little perturbed?

I realize you aren't Native American.. but Geronimo is a cultural hero to them.

Goyahkla was a tribal leader who made war with the USA and committed acts of Terrorism to try and win.

Do not see a difference except that Goyahkla gave up and died an old man after living like a celebrity in his later years.

CowboyDan

Anger is a Gift
Reaction score
Though I think this is a ridiculous protest, and I'm not offended by the thought of using George Washington as a code name, I'm surprised we don't use fictional characters. Maybe they should not this for the future.

Operation Snuffaluffagus wouldn't draw too much blowback, except from maybe the Sesame Street crowd.