Giants Extra Home Game

Scotman

Reaction score
HH, are you seriously arguing that homefield does not have an advantage for ANY team? I understand that it was unlikely for NO to beat NY. But their odds were surely better outside Giant Stadium.

Also, your statistical analysis of the "top 10" and the "bottom 10" to support your argument is terribly flawed. You've neglected the middle third. You've neglected the games played away. You've neglected the overall W/L record of every team.

Home field supplies a statistically significant and relevant advantage. NY received this advantage for one more game than anyone else.

It shouldn't matter in the end. We need to take care of our own business to ensure that it doesn't. But when we win the division it will not justify a poor call on the part of the NFL. I bet if it ever comes up again, they'll do it differently.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
silverbear said:
Uhhh, they didn't fill up the Meadowlands, moron... it had over 8000 empty seats... yeah, I think there are more than a few NEUTRAL sites, or even sites in proximity to the Saints' home base, that could have put 68,000 fans in the seats for that game...

A. The empty seats likely would have been much more severe somewhere else -- where neither team had fans. The last game that got moved resulted in tickets being GIVEN away.

B. You can't just drop a MNF game in any location. There is a considerable amount of infrastructure necessary to accomodate that crew to make for a decent TV product. Perhaps you don't understand the technology involved. Not every stadium has it - maybe though, since I'm the moron you need to explain that to me as well.

Did other options exist? Yes. Would they have worked out as well? Hmm, your analysis vs. the NFL's. Informed vs. self-proclaimed loose cannon. Ignorant fans assume that the league is biased against their team. Are you one of those ignorant fans?

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
Dallas is a consensus top 5-6 team

On here maybe. Nationally they are in the 10-12 range

And the Saints beat the Panthers in part because of one of the biggest emotional surges in NFL history

Andt that emotion is all gone the next week? Even though they saw the positive reactions of their fans after the win and the news overall pertaining to the hurricane was still bad

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
And the Saints beat the Panthers in part because of one of the biggest emotional surges in NFL history. I know I said emotion doesnt play as big a role in the NFL, but obviouslt after what NO went through, they had incentive.

And you don't think that in a more hospitable "home" environment, the Saints could have built on that "emotional surge"??

Nobody's guaranteeing that the Saints would have won at a neutral site, or even if the game had been able to be played in the Superdome... what we ARE saying, what common sense tells us, is that it would have been somewhat tougher for the Giants than getting an extra home game was...

No matter how you try to spin it, giving the Giants a 9th home game DID give them a competitive advantage this year... period...

silverbear

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
The two teams they've lost to on the road:

Dallas
San Diego

Dallas is a consensus top 5-6 team at SD has played as good as anyone in the AFC since beating NY. Both are playoff bound teams. New York isnt losing to the likes of New Orleans on the road.... :rolleyes:

Facts: Only applicable when they dont prove how clueless you really are

The facts are, the Giants have yet to win a game on the road, and have yet to lose at home... spin that however you like, they are simply not as good on the road as they are at home...

Oh, and it's kinda comical, watching you insist that the Chargers are a "playoff bound team"... at this point, they are a .500 team, and are seeded 8th in the AFC... they're hardly a lock to make the playoffs, in fact if they hope to make the playoffs they're gonna have to play better than they have to this point... and since beating the Giants, they have gone 3-2, which is hardly "played as good as anybody in the AFC" over those 5 games...

Combine that with your breezy assessment of the Cowboys as "a consensus top 5-6 team", and it's quite clear that your critique is utterly lacking in facts...

silverbear

Reaction score
abersonc said:
A. The empty seats likely would have been much more severe somewhere else -- where neither team had fans. The last game that got moved resulted in tickets being GIVEN away.

LOL... YOU were the one who talked about "Where else would you have the fan base to fill the seats?"

YOU made an issue of "filling the seats", then when it was noted that the over 8000 fans came dressed as empty seats, you try to change the argument... well, tapdance all you want, the point remains they DIDN'T fill the seats, so that argument doesn't hold water...

Fact is, both San Antonio and Baton Rouge averaged over 60,000 fans per game in the Saints' "other" home games...

B. You can't just drop a MNF game in any location.

Oh, give me a break... they "drop" MNF games in virtually every stadium in the country over the course of a few years... it would have posed San Antonio or Baton Rouge no problems at all to provide the necessary infrastructure...

Did other options exist? Yes. Would they have worked out as well? Hmm, your analysis vs. the NFL's.

And of course, the NFL has ALWAYS made the right decision... like when they went ahead and held games the Sunday after JFK was assassinated...

It is rapidly becoming clear that you don't HAVE an argument, by all the weak crap you keep flinging up against the wall, hoping SOME of it will stick...

Sorry, nothing's stuck so far... the NFL's giving the Giants another home game this season was unfair to the rest of the league...

I need no further proof of that than the Saints' reaction to being forced to play their "home" game in the Meadowlands-- THEY certainly thought they were being screwed...

They were right, and you're wrong...

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
abersonc said:
Where? you think the NFL didn't try to work that out? Here's bulletin - there are not a ton of unused venues capable of taking on an event of that magnitude on short notice.

Stop complaining -- the Giants beat NO any day of the week, any location.

Actually San Antonio offered their venue but was told no thanks

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
JDSmith said:
I'm pretty sure that San Antonio made a public offer before they decided to have it in Giants Stadium. And there were about 25,000 unsold seats 2 days before the game - not sure what the final numbers were. I don't know if they ever released them - the whole blackout discussion 2 days before the game was embarrassing enough.

Anyone who believes the game should have been held in Giants stadium has got to be a Giants fan. I live in NJ and even here there were Giants fans surprised (pleasantly) that they'd have the game here - but they wouldn't complain about it because they were happy to get an edge.

:hammer:

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
Manster68 said:
They will get their first road win this Sunday in Frisco.

SF played their Super Bowl last week against Tampa.

Either way, with NYG or SF losing, we'll be happy.

If this was 1992 maybe

Tobal

Reaction score
It was stupid, but it wasn't done with the thought that it was giving an advantage. If we win they games we should it will be a moot point.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
All I know is that BP and the Saints themselves hated it.

It wasn't the right thing to do. If you watched the begining of the game, before the Cowboys game started, you would have seen and heard the crowd rooting for their HOME team...The Giants.

Look, we are Cowboys fans and we don't like the extra edge given to the Giants...But on another level, take it from the Saints point of view...They were pissed.

If it was played at a nuetral or even better...LA or SA location, they probably would have had an edge from the 12th man. The crowd. Of course people in the NJ region are Giants fans and root for their team. But the NFL wanted a showcase and actually hurt fans and players from NO by putting it in NY, were the crowd was against them.

Okay, a tornado rip through Texas stadium. So the NFL feels bad for the Cowboys and takes one of our HOME games against NY and plays it in Giants stadium....instead of the Cotton bowl or another close by location...How would you feel. You would feel how the Saints and there fans felt.

It was just wrong.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
There should be an asterisk next to the New York Giants standings if they win the NFC East by one game. :mad: