Giants Extra Home Game

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
Obviously, because of the blatant media bias against us, right?

Give me a break..... :rolleyes:

You people are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

We'll see if you are singing the same tune if by chance we finish one game behind the Giants because they had nine home games to our eight. It is a competitive advantage, no ifs, ands or buts about it.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan said:
We'll see if you are singing the same tune if by chance we finish one game behind the Giants because they had nine home games to our eight. It is a competitive advantage, no ifs, ands or buts about it.

If the Giants finish one game ahead of us, it will not be because they got an extra home game against a bottom feeder of the NFC :rolleyes:

Me thinks we are looking for an excuse in case they do, in fact, finish ahead of us.

And this perceived "media bias" against Dallas is just that, perception. Every team thinks the media hates THEIR team, go to the NY site, go to Extremeskins, etc. and they all claim there is a media bias against them. It's a fantasy created so fans have something to blame their lack of national respect on.

I guess what I'm trying to say is.....

GET OVER IT!!!

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Ok, say for example, our records are basically mirrors or each other, remember we play the same schedule as the Giants except for the two extra conference games. So say in the 14 same games, our record is identical, then we each win our extra home game against an NFC opponent (they against Vikings and we against Detroit). It then comes down to the game against the NFC South. We have to go to Carolina and they got to play New Orleans at home. We lose on the road and they won their extra game at home.

Don't you think that gives them an advantage? If not, why not?

As an aside, you can stop with the rolling eyes emoticon.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan said:
Ok, say for example, our records are basically mirrors or each other, remember we play the same schedule as the Giants except for the two extra conference games. So say in the 14 same games, our record is identical, then we each win our extra home game against an NFC opponent (they against Vikings and we against Detroit). It then comes down to the game against the NFC South. We have to go to Carolina and they got to play New Orleans at home. We lose on the road and they won their extra game at home.

Don't you think that gives them an advantage? If not, why not?

As an aside, you can stop with the rolling eyes emoticon.

1: The odds are heavily against such an occurence

2: No, it doesnt give them the advantage, because Carolina would have a VERY good chance to beat us at Texas Stadium, while NY and NO could play 10 times on any field and NY would win 9 of them.

Carolina >>>>>> New Orleans

And why, does it offend your sensative, excuse seeking nature? :rolleyes:

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
1: The odds are heavily against such an occurence

2: No, it doesnt give them the advantage, because Carolina would have a VERY good chance to beat us at Texas Stadium, while NY and NO could play 10 times on any field and NY would win 9 of them.

Carolina >>>>>> New Orleans

And why, does it offend your sensative, excuse seeking nature? :rolleyes:

There are none so blind as those who will not see. If you think it is ok for one team to play nine home games and the rest eight, that is up to you. You are clearly wrong and just won't admit it.

You won't even consider the fact that when the game was played, New Orleans was not playing badly or that Manning has never won outside Giants' Stadium. All you do is roll your eyes and say, it makes no difference. You are wrong, pure and simple.

Givincer

Reaction score
abersonc said:
Dude -- this extra home game was the result of a terrible disaster that caused tremendous loss of life. Those surviving had their lives altered permanently and for the worse.

Get some perspective. This is so much bigger than football.

So you honestly believe this game couldn't have been hosted ANYWHERE else in the country but NY? Very highly unlikely this was done solely to raise money for the disaster, it definitely could have been done any other place in the country just as effectively. Everybody understands there was a tragedy, but that does not mean you have to give the Giants an extra home game. That game could have been held anywhere's and raised just as much money if it were on national television.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Julius, haven't you heard, the Giants getting an extra game is irrelevant anyway ;)

BTW, do you like the way you have been portrayed on the HBO series Rome? I don't like the actor playing Caesar, a little bland for me. My wife asked me why I like the show since it is nothing but sex and violence. I said, that's good enough for me, especially the nice lesbian scenes between Caesar's ex lover and Caesar's niece.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan said:
There are none so blind as those who will not see. If you think it is ok for one team to play nine home games and the rest eight, that is up to you. You are clearly wrong and just won't admit it.

You won't even consider the fact that when the game was played, New Orleans was not playing badly or that Manning has never won outside Giants' Stadium. All you do is roll your eyes and say, it makes no difference. You are wrong, pure and simple.

What is New Orleans "home" record? Who have they lost to at "home"? Exactly, average to bad teams have beaten them at "home". If Miami could beat them, I'm fairly certain a very good New York team would have made short work of them.

If you want to think I'm wrong, that's fine with me, but I'm also a realist. If you want to play 3rd grader and whine about it not being fair, that's your business, but you know as well as I do the odds are against New Orleans beating anyone, anywhere. As the saying goes, life isnt fair, and there's nothing you can do about it, so please excuse me for not shedding a tear.

"I'm wrong, pure and simple." Big statement for someone who thinks New Orleans can compete with, right now, one of the 2 best teams in the conference. :rolleyes:

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Another thing, to a degree, home field advantage is overrated in the NFL. It college, it is everything, as CF is fueled on the emotion of 18-21 year olds who arent composed mentally.

A good NFL team should be able to to compose themselves and play through it, especially since New Orleans "home games" are hardly intimidating these days.

JDSmith

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
Another thing, to a degree, home field advantage is overrated in the NFL. It college, it is everything, as CF is fueled on the emotion of 18-21 year olds who arent composed mentally.

A good NFL team should be able to to compose themselves and play through it, especially since New Orleans "home games" are hardly intimidating these days.

80 wins and 38 losses say home field advantage isn't overrated. Because that's the record of home teams on the season.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
abersonc said:
Dude -- this extra home game was the result of a terrible disaster that caused tremendous loss of life. Those surviving had their lives altered permanently and for the worse.

Get some perspective. This is so much bigger than football.

Doesn't mean the league had to give the Giants an extra home game... maybe you're the one who needs some perspective-- or can you offer us some RATIONAL reasons for giving them such a competitive advantage??

That game could have just as easily been played in San Antonio, rather than in New York...

And none of that has ANYTHING to do with the "terrible disaster that caused tremendous loss of life", so do us all a favor and spare us your self-righteous pontification...

silverbear

Reaction score
abersonc said:
How does playing a game on National TV with proceeds going to hurricane relief constitute mishandling the situation? The league did something that made a considerable amount of $$ for charity.

Oh, the game couldn't have been on national TV, with proceeds going to hurricane relief, if it wasn't played in New York City?? Gee whiz, that's REALLY strange, since the COWBOYS game was on national TV, and they made a considerable amount of $$ for charity...

Your arguments get stupider and stupider...

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
JDSmith said:
80 wins and 38 losses say home field advantage isn't overrated. Because that's the record of home teams on the season.

The better team wins more often than the home team in the NFL. Also, better teams usually have better home field advantages, so while good teams win at home alot, they also win on the road.

JDSmith

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
The better team wins more often than the home team in the NFL. Also, better teams usually have better home field advantages, so while good teams win at home alot, they also win on the road.

So good teams have had twice as many home games thus far in the season? How do you define the 'better team' since the home team is winning twice as often as losing? Most teams aren't simply 'better' or 'worse' - there is this nifty thing called parity that the NFL tries hard to promote. There simply isn't much difference between teams at this point most of the time. There are a few good teams, a few bad teams, and then there is a massive collection of teams that could go either way on any given weekend. And that's where home field advantage comes in. The Saints are not so far below the Giants that they couldn't compete at home against them, just like the Niners weren't so far below us that they couldn't compete. They didn't win, but had that game been played in Dallas you can bet it wouldn't have been close.

silverbear

Reaction score
abersonc said:
Vacant does not mean available. You sure there was nothing planned at all those locations?

Are you sure there WEREN'T any other venues available?? To quote you earlier in this thread, "Generally facts come with some form of support. Ya got any?"

Strange how you demand factual backup of others, yet are willing to resort to "you sure there was nothing planned at all those locations"?? Well, if you had been paying attention at the time, there WERE alternative sites considered...

Where else would you have the fan base to fill the seats? Remember, proceeds went to charity -- you don't want to play that game somewhere that the fans aren't going to care.

Uhhh, they didn't fill up the Meadowlands, moron... it had over 8000 empty seats... yeah, I think there are more than a few NEUTRAL sites, or even sites in proximity to the Saints' home base, that could have put 68,000 fans in the seats for that game...

No matter how much you argue otherwise, the NFL screwed the Saints, and stuck it to the rest of the NFC East as well, by giving the Giants a 9th home game this year...

silverbear

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
Another thing, to a degree, home field advantage is overrated in the NFL.

Yup, it's official-- you're clueless...

Check out the W-L percentage for home teams in the NFL this season, then tell us all how the home field advantage is "overrated"...

Then, ponder that Eli Manning has yet to win a game outside of the friendly confines of the Meadowland, and tell us all how it wouldn't have made any difference at all if they had played the Saints on the road, or in their own park... make sure to ignore how the Saints had beaten the Panthers the week before...

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
JDSmith said:
So good teams have had twice as many home games thus far in the season? How do you define the 'better team' since the home team is winning twice as often as losing? Most teams aren't simply 'better' or 'worse' - there is this nifty thing called parity that the NFL tries hard to promote. There simply isn't much difference between teams at this point most of the time. There are a few good teams, a few bad teams, and then there is a massive collection of teams that could go either way on any given weekend. And that's where home field advantage comes in. The Saints are not so far below the Giants that they couldn't compete at home against them, just like the Niners weren't so far below us that they couldn't compete. They didn't win, but had that game been played in Dallas you can bet it wouldn't have been close.

Dallas: 3-1 at home

New York: 5-0 at home

Seattle: 4-0 at home

Pittsburgh: 2-2 at home

Denver: 5-0 at home

Indy: 3-0 at home

Carolina: 3-1 at home

Atlanta: 3-1 at home

Cincy: 3-1 at home

New England: 2-1 at home

Now, these are, IMO, the 10 best teams in football. Your opinion might vary, but I think you would agree with at least 7-8 if not more of the choices. Now, these teams are 33-7 at home, so I think its clear that good teams have good home field advantages. I agree that the better the team, usually the better home field advantage.

Now, the worst team's records at home:

San Francisco: 2-2 at home

New Orleans: 1-2 at "home"

Green Bay: 1-2 at home

Houston: 1-3

Cleveland: 1-2 at home

Baltimore: 2-1 at home

Minnesota: 2-1 at home

Arizona: 2-2 at home

Tennessee: 1-3 at home

New York Jets: 2-2 at home

Again, you may disagree with a few, but the point is gotton. These 10 teams are 13-20 at home. So, I think it's clear that good teams have good home field advantage because they are better, but also that if you arent a good team, home field means very little.

silverbear

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:

Then the Giants must not qualify as a "better team", since they're 5-0 at home, 0-2 on the road...

But NOOOOOOOO, getting an extra home game was no advantage at ALL to a team that's unbeaten at home, winless on the road...

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
silverbear said:
Yup, it's official-- you're clueless...

Check out the W-L percentage for home teams in the NFL this season, then tell us all how the home field advantage is "overrated"...

Then, ponder that Eli Manning has yet to win a game outside of the friendly confines of the Meadowland, and tell us all how it wouldn't have made any difference at all if they had played the Saints on the road, or in their own park... make sure to ignore how the Saints had beaten the Panthers the week before...

If home field meant so much, then over a third of the teams in the NFL wouldnt have losing records at home, and over half be .500 or worse.

And the Saints beat the Panthers in part because of one of the biggest emotional surges in NFL history. I know I said emotion doesnt play as big a role in the NFL, but obviouslt after what NO went through, they had incentive.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
silverbear said:
Then the Giants must not qualify as a "better team", since they're 5-0 at home, 0-2 on the road...

But NOOOOOOOO, getting an extra home game was no advantage at ALL to a team that's unbeaten at home, winless on the road...

The two teams they've lost to on the road:

Dallas
San Diego

Dallas is a consensus top 5-6 team at SD has played as good as anyone in the AFC since beating NY. Both are playoff bound teams. New York isnt losing to the likes of New Orleans on the road.... :rolleyes:

Facts: Only applicable when they dont prove how clueless you really are