Giants ready to spend in free agency

Jipper

Reaction score
Then you get …

Stephen, Jerry Jr., John Paul etc
yup, thats what you get. The difference is we know how jerry is going to act and if he hasnt changed by 80 nothing will change him now. At least with the next generation there is still the unknown of what they might do. You never know, Stephen might surprise us and hire a GM....then again he might be worse but at this point, i am willing to risk it just to see something different potentially.

75boyz

Reaction score
No real need for change.

They are “THIS close,” and have been for a decade and change now.

I wonder how they can claim that, but then refuse to do what it takes to get over the hump. They don’t at all want to be exposed. Jeez, for all we know McClay is being paid more than MM to follow along with this charade.
Depends on how ya perceive real change.

For me, at least a cellar dweller finish would offer an opportunity for a high first round QB draft pick.
That opportunity and cashing in on it, would be enough change for me.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
He have got to be the only team in the league that always gets bounced out of the playoffs early or don't make it at all and still can't re-sign our own.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Depends on how ya perceive real change.

For me, at least a cellar dweller finish would offer an opportunity for a high first round QB draft pick.
That opportunity and cashing in on it, would be enough change for me.
The opportunity would present itself in those situations, but Jerry Jones has not pulled that trigger historically. The only occasion that kinda matches the circumstances was 2001.

However, Dallas did not have a first round pick that offseason and used its second round pick on Quincy Carter. It should also be noted Jones pulled that trigger after losing Troy Aikman AND acquiring Tony Banks to ensure Carter would receive more time in assuming the starter role. Of course, Jones ditched Banks at his earliest opportunity. He is a professional football mastermind.

Opportunity is one thing. Hoping Jones will cash in an opportunity is totally different.

Big_D

Reaction score
Their bigger issue is drafting poorly rather than spending poorly. They’ve had some top ten picks recently and not sure they got great returns…even Barkley hasn’t produced due to injury and he was the best pick they’ve made since OBJ. Jones has mostly stunk until this year and I’m still not sold on him. I watched Parsons destroy all their OL.
This is a new GM, the last one was a an even bigger buffoon than Jerry.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I laugh at all the other teams.

Any owner worth their salt knows that you hire your son to run football ops.

They are all missing the boat and don’t even seem to know it.

LysleE

Reaction score
No real need for change.

They are “THIS close,” and have been for a decade and change now.

I wonder how they can claim that, but then refuse to do what it takes to get over the hump. They don’t at all want to be exposed. Jeez, for all we know McClay is being paid more than MM to follow along with this charade.
Yep…we’re just one-click away…I heard that quote from a couple of “football guys”…

Big_D

Reaction score
The following are, arguably, actual changes directly influenced by next-to-last or last place NFC East finishes during Jerry Jones' post-Jimmy Johnson GM tenure:

1997 - 4th NFC East - 1998? >Chan Gailey named head coach
2000 - 4th NFC East - 2001? [Consequence not directly related to the previous season's division finish] Troy Aikman retired during the offseason/Quincy Carter drafted as consequence [Bonus: Dave Campo remained head coach]
2001 - 5th NFC East - 2002? ???
2002 - 4th NFC East - 2003? >Bill Parcells named head coach (some observers have previously stated the hiring intentionally manipulated the approval of the new stadium's construction)
2004 - 3rd NFC East - 2005? >Parcells succeeded in persuading Jerry Jones to acquire Drew Bledsoe
2005 - 3rd NFC East - 2006? ???
2008 - 3rd NFC East - 2009? >The infamous offseason special teams' draft
2010 - 3rd NFC East - 2011? ???
2011 - 3rd NFC East - 2012? >First round draft pick Morris Claiborne
2012 - 3rd NFC East - 2013? >First round draft pick Travis Frederick
2015 - 4th NFC East - 2016? >First round draft pick Ezekiel Elliott
2020 - 3rd NFC East - 2021? >First round draft pick Micah Parsons

In your opinion, what 'real change' examples shall a next-to-last or last place 2023 NFC East finish prompt Jerry Jones into spearheading given his past general managership history? Would one of your examples include Mike McCarthy being fired?

I am interested in what you may be foreseeing as 'real change' happening under Jones. Honestly, I do not believe any direct circumstance shall mirror your expectation.

That trade up for Claiborne still irks me! But that special teams draft was magical. Jerry at his best.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Giants say they aren't shopping for minimum players anymore?

Somebody tell them paying Daniel Jones elite money doesn't make him an elite player. Dak starting to look like a bargain.

Verdict

Reaction score
Joe Schoen? General manager? It's not John Mara? Did Schoen marry into the family? What's the connection? There's no connection? Schoen was hired after a job search? What the heck is that? Schoen had 20 years of NFL experience before getting the job, including front office experience? This doesn't track. You don't just buy a team and give yourself the title of GM? Wait. What's that sound? Is... is that The Twilight Zone theme I hear?
Yeah. It’s amazing how well the Giants have been “doing it right” and the Cowboys still “own” them in the division.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score

489353642.jpg

"That means more for me"---Capboy