Giants sign Daniel Jones (4 years/$160 million)

FanofJerry

Reaction score
You're not wrong, but it still doesn't make overpaying QBs the right move to make either. I think the issue has to do with owners being content with winning seasons over championships as that keeps selling tickets, meanwhile GMs tend to have short leashes in todays game and one wrong move, especially about a QB could lead to a 3-14 year that gets you fired. This is the piece that surprises me about the Cowboys as their GM has the ultimate job security.

Many teams have started to veer off track though. Indy has been going the discount QB route for a few years now. Vegas just dumped their big money QB. Seattle moved on from Russell Wilson and had success with his backup. Green Bay seems to have grown tired of the Aaron Rodgers games, and Lamar Jackson is being allowed to test the market. It used to be a very rare thing to see a name QB actually hit either the trade or free agency market, now it happens every single year.

I think it's a fascinating conversation that gets even more interesting now that the league has expanded the playoffs to 14 teams where 9 wins should get you in more often than not. I'm sure some teams will think they can be in the playoffs every year with a quality QB, meanwhile others may say better stay in the hunt year after year with dedicating more resources to other positions.

Looking at the results we really don't have a clear answer either. Last years conference championship games offered 3 QBs on rookie deals, but the team to win it all was a big dollar QB. Most teams that made it had QBs on rookie deals (Baltimore, Miami, Cincinnati, Jacksonville, Philly, SF, LA, NYG). Some had big dollar deals (Dallas, KC, Minnesota, Buffalo). Others had unusual situations (Tampa, which Brady is notorious for taking less money. Seattle who used a veteran backup)

I think the Lamar Jackson situation going on right now is a very interesting one to keep an eye on. It seems especially interesting with how many teams are reportedly not interested too. I just look at what Denver gave up just a year ago for Russel Wilson and thought there would be no shortage of interested teams in Lamar.
Overpaid is...overpaid. I agree. But looking for the next Tom Brady...is looking to get lucky while wasting other star players careers.

Im sure that Teams will start to veer off since the fan forums have been obnoxious about this topic for so long. Now Owners cant really hold it against a GM for not paying a QB because it does seem like a good decision to not pay 20+% to a questionable talent.

I just dont think you will see teams doing in if they were in Jerry's shoes and the stats Dak put up for 5 years even though he didnt have success post season. I dont think any team lets Dak walk based on those stats and being a team leader...which leads to Dak and his agent being able to squeeze Dallas. Yes...I get that not all situations of overpaid QBs is like Daks was. Unless Dak is being unreasonable with his figure...I dont see Dallas letting him walk this next contract either. Dak's next contract will be interesting. Are fan that dont like big contracts without Super Bowls over Dak?...or do you pay for an above average Busdriver again?

JayFord

Reaction score
Daniel Jones being better than Dak? No one should ever agree or give any interest to these posters. The asinine statements must stop.

It is understandable that you don't like Dak, but if Jones were on this team, the same posters would be irate with his play.

Let me try, currently, Zeke is just as good or better than Henry.
hear me out

if Henry had the same production the last two years in a Cowboys Uniform vs Zeke having the same in a Titans uniform

you can 2000% bet the board would be saying Zeke is the better option

cnuball21

Reaction score
Overpaid is...overpaid. I agree. But looking for the next Tom Brady...is looking to get lucky while wasting other star players careers.

Im sure that Teams will start to veer off since the fan forums have been obnoxious about this topic for so long. Now Owners cant really hold it against a GM for not paying a QB because it does seem like a good decision to not pay 20+% to a questionable talent.

I just dont think you will see teams doing in if they were in Jerry's shoes and the stats Dak put up for 5 years even though he didnt have success post season. I dont think any team lets Dak walk based on those stats and being a team leader...which leads to Dak and his agent being able to squeeze Dallas. Yes...I get that not all situations of overpaid QBs is like Daks was. Unless Dak is being unreasonable with his figure...I dont see Dallas letting him walk this next contract either. Dak's next contract will be interesting. Are fan that dont like big contracts without Super Bowls over Dak?...or do you pay for an above average Busdriver again?
Yea, as easy as winning with a rookie contract QB sounds you have to still hit on the draft pick…which is really hard.

Also - is it any different when we’re paying Dak and have multiple stars on rookie contracts (Parsons / Lamb / Diggs) than it is vice versa? Probably not much.

cnuball21

Reaction score
“Since 2019

Carson Wentz (23-28-1 record)

81 TD - 38 INT - 86.8 RATING - 5.52 ANY/A

89 TOTAL TDS - 55 TOTAL TURNOVERS (1.62-1 RATIO)

Daniel Jones (21-31-1 record)

60 TD - 34 INT - 86.5 RATING - 5.45 ANY/A

72 TOTAL TDS - 57 TOTAL TURNOVERS (1.26-1 RATIO)”

Future looks bright for the Giants!

FanofJerry

Reaction score
So...teams and fans are upset...with the current QB contract situation heavily in QBs favor.

Teams are stuck with large contract for 4 to 5 years if the player ends up stinking after getting paid or injury.

QB's love renewal dates since the market is in their favor.

I dont know if this is against bargaining agreement...but wouldnt it be in team and players benefit to have QB contracts max at 3 years with the QBs current team holding a sort of bird rights on the player?

This would allow actual GOOD QB's to get new contracts every 3 years. QB price is always going up, right? Why would QBs complain about this?

This would also make it easier for teams to get out from bad contracts if a QB takes a nose dive.

It also reinforces drafting backup QBs often in the case the starter leaves after a couple of years.

It would mean that the actual GOOD QBs are getting paid well...and teams can get out of bad QB contracts quicker. If youre GOOD...youre gonna get paid good and often. If youre bad...next man up for the team.

I dont know how you manage GOOD QBs from leaving after 3 years to the open market unless there are some sort of bird rights or the player can test the open market and the current team has to match that or beat it.

Is shorter contracts something agents and players would never agree on when bargaining? I get that there are only a handful of GOOD QBs...and everyone else would shy away from not getting 4 or 5 years in a contract because of money....but somehow make certain QBs eligible for this.

Just spit balling.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Pretending the Giants are in the same category talent wise is even funnier!
Says someone that is clearly overestimating the talent in Dallas. Noah Brown was the number 2 receiver for most of the season.

Redline360

Reaction score
Still don't understand how some people can still argue statistics at face value in 2023. This fantasy football **** has gotten out of hand. Why most of them are laughed at and not taken seriously.

It doesn't take a rocket science to see Dak is obviously a much more talented QB at this point even with his flaws. Now on the other hand Dak has benefited from being surrounded by talent vastly superior to Jones. Like not even remotely comparable. Plus the Giants in the beginning of Jones career were a complete dumpster fire. Of course Dak being a much better QB overall and then surronded by an elite team compared to Jones his stats look better on paper.

However....Jones has been improving each year(with a severe lack of talent to help him) while Dak has been regressing. Don't think Jones will ever be as good as Dak was but will be interesting to see what he can do if they surrond him with some talent

Big_D

Reaction score
Says someone that is clearly overestimating the talent in Dallas. Noah Brown was the number 2 receiver for most of the season.

I'm not overestimating anything. In Daks 7 years compared to Jones' 4 years the overall rosters have been night and day. Naming one player doesn't mean squat. What about when he had Lamb, Cooper and Wison? Jones has had nothing like that on top of a garbage Oline and 3 different HCs. Gettleman made Jerry look like he knows what he's doing! That's how bad things actually were for that team. Consider day 1 fresh out of college for both QBs.. you don't see a difference and how that effects a players progress and statistics? Then you're fooling yourself.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I actually respect DJ and think he’s improved from being terrible to average, but can we at least debate Dak against someone more fun?

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I'm not overestimating anything. In Daks 7 years compared to Jones' 4 years the overall rosters have been night and day. Naming one player doesn't mean squat. What about when he had Lamb, Cooper and Wison? Jones has had nothing like that on top of a garbage Oline and 3 different HCs. Gettleman made Jerry look like he knows what he's doing! That's how bad things actually were for that team. Consider day 1 fresh out of college for both QBs.. you don't see a difference and how that effects a players progress and statistics? Then you're fooling yourself.
Wilson??? Really? Lamb was ok until this year when he really improved. Cooper was an enigma. Terrible on the road. Look it up. You guys also need to stop it with the OL. 20 and 21 Dallas was terrible. Yet you will go on because it’s all Dak’s fault.

Big_D

Reaction score
Wilson??? Really? Lamb was ok until this year when he really improved. Cooper was an enigma. Terrible on the road. Look it up. You guys also need to stop it with the OL. 20 and 21 Dallas was terrible. Yet you will go on because it’s all Dak’s fault.

Enigma? lmao And still the Cowboys Oline was far better.. even that 20/21 version. Every year is just a new excuse. You seem to have a slew of them and you never run out.

Big_D

Reaction score

How was that line between 16 and 19? and the running game? lol

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Enigma? lmao And still the Cowboys Oline was far better.. even that 20/21 version. Every year is just a new excuse. You seem to have a slew of them and you never run out.
What excuses am I providing? My original post was about how high the Jones contract was and yet it morphed into another Dak bashing thread which is typical. You guys can’t help yourselves. Jerry loves how the blame is deflected from him and Stevie. Cooper is on his third team at 27 as a former top pick. That’s an enigma.

Big_D

Reaction score
What excuses am I providing? My original post was about how high the Jones contract was and yet it morphed into another Dak bashing thread which is typical. You guys can’t help yourselves. Jerry loves how the blame is deflected from him and Stevie. Cooper is on his third team at 27 as a former top pick. That’s an enigma.

What excuses? apparently Dak won games all by himself! His WRs weren't that good, his TE sucks, his RB sucks? His Oline was terrible? lmao

Yeah and Dak broke the record for rookie QBR so what’s your point?

The point is that Oline and his running game were both top notch in his first 4 years.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Dak threw more TDs in 21’ than Jones did the last 3 years.

The more you dive in the more laughable it gets.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
What excuses? apparently Dak won games all by himself! His WRs weren't that good, his TE sucks, his RB sucks? His Oline was terrible? lmao

The point is that Oline and his running game were both top notch in his first 4 years.
Can you read? I never said his help sucked. Another poster said he was surrounded by elite talent. My point was simply that was a total lie. Some good players. Other than Martin no one is elite. Spin away though and play the straw man game.