Twitter: Gil Brandt met with Dak in Frisco yesterday

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Who is Aaron Rodgers' backup? Brady? Mahomes? Wilson? Allen?

Great backup quarterbacks are unicorns. There's one, and he's starting in Washington.

How about a backup who has actually won an NFL game? There are several of those around, including the guys backing up Brady, Mahomes, Wilson, and Allen.

If you need a backup for your entire season, you're screwed. If you need one for two weeks having a decent one can be the difference between playoffs, or not.

It's not about having a "great" backup. It's about having a competent one, not relying on a guy on his 8th team in 8 years who has never won an NFL game.

8FOR!3

Reaction score
I think i'd rather go with Gilbert and suck then suck with Minshew and trade a draft pick for him.

Now is the time to admit you got ripped off lol? Yikes.

I'll give y'all credit....I expected this type of talk after week 1....not after a few preseason games. Bravo.

It's just such a lazy take. If Dak came in out of shape by choice and etc., yeah that's a ripoff. But the guy's biggest flaw is he was probably trying to do too much too soon to get ready for the season (we don't really know that, injuries happen, the point was that he was very eager to practice.)

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
Who is Aaron Rodgers' backup? Brady? Mahomes? Wilson? Allen?

Great backup quarterbacks are unicorns. There's one, and he's starting in Washington.
Extremely lazy argument. Jesus Christ.

None of these QBs are coming off a major injury. Hell, the last time Brady had a major injury, I was actually a senior in High School. Mahomes has missed, what - 3 games in 3 years?

I disagree that backup QBs are unicorns. It's a very important position. All three of our division rivals have won Super Bowls with backups.

CWR

Reaction score
This is why I don't get those that want Dak to get reps in a meaningless pre-season game. Your QB had an injury, the depths of which we'll never know, and you want to throw him out there when he could have more time to ensure the injury is put to rest, all to relieve YOUR anxiety that he won't be properly prepared. QB is THE most important position on the team. You don't mess with that.

Yeah I dont like this at all. Rest him until you can't. I only wanted him to play if he was healthy.

cffl2323

Reaction score
I'm a big baseball fan, and I've seen too many teams bring back pitchers too early from arm injuries and it almost never works out well. If he makes a single throw before he's 100% cleared to resume full activity it will be a mistake, and even then he should be progressed extremely slowly. Luckily Dak seems smart enough to at least speak up when he feels something out of the ordinary, and already did so with the initial injury.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At this point, I can't tell if it's a matter of being cheap or a matter of being arrogant.

Either way, we saw how well we fared doing an emergency trade for a QB (Matt Cassel). You gotta have a plan of some sort.
Whatever any of us think about this front office, it is completely clear at this point that one of their absolute weaknesses is they build their roster and season on a “best case scenario” mindset. They wait until a problem happens (that you could see ahead of time being possible) before then reacting to it instead of being proactive before it’s a problem.

In other words, it’s all based on every key player being healthy and believing all the breaks will go our way. The best front offices have “worst case scenario” plans BEFORE they happen so you don’t have to scramble to fix a hole.

Sydla

Reaction score

I'll give you credit. When you stick to a story, you stick to it, no matter how stupid it makes you look.

Most people would say, yeah, I guess it was more than a "few" days but damn, you have no problem embarrassing yourself to not have to admit you are wrong.

garyo1954

Reaction score
Well, I figure extreme caution is wise in this case.

Irvin says he has concerns.
Brandt says he don't see 100%.
Shefter says he may not be 100% all year.
BigMac says he's not totally on board with full practice.
Rodgers and Lawrence are also on pitch counts this preseason, but they aren't coming off major injuries so no big deal there.

Not all injuries are the same, but you got your Theisman and Smith
In Washington you also got your Griffith
Collarbones like Romo
Montana had tendinitis which turned into tendon surgery (and a trade the KC).
Some come back, some don't, some linger around a couple of years and retire.
Not a single one would say, "I can't do it."

So give the guy all the times he needs. If the season goes up in smoke, let it go up in smoke in a meaningful game and not on the practice field or preseason.
We don't have to figure it out. It'll figure itself out son enough.

And then we can blame Jerry!

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'll give you credit. When you stick to a story, you stick to it, no matter how stupid it makes you look.

Most people would say, yeah, I guess it was more than a "few" days but damn, you have no problem embarrassing yourself to not have to admit you are wrong.
It was just a few days. Relax or you’ll hyperventilate.
963-AD977-2-FBB-4932-A48-E-30-A456-C6-B8-A2.gif