1. I am excited to announce the launch of ...
    NEWS and RUMORS is a powerful and versatile news and content search engine and reader that provides access to content from a large variety of sites.

NEWS and RUMORS does not track individual users and uses a password-less login system so only an email address is required to login.

Once logged in, you can add your favorite content feeds and searches to your Favorites list, bookmark content you want to read later, and find a lot of global, national and local content on a variety of topics.

Dismiss Notice

Gil Brandt predicts Week 14-15 return for Jaylon Smith

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Smashin222, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Little Jr

Little Jr Well-Known Member

4,808 Messages
    2,254 Likes Received
    Everything they are doing with him now is keeping the muscles, ligaments and tendons loose to when/if the nerve does fire there shouldn't be much rehab necessary.

2. BAZ

BAZ Drunken Mick

4,861 Messages
    2,767 Likes Received
    I don't believe he's coming back, it was a joke playing off the hopefull thinking Smith would somehow make it back this year.

3. NEODOG

NEODOG 44cowboys22

2,240 Messages
    2,287 Likes Received

Slow up son.....it's week 6

OH MY GOD

WillieBeamen likes this.
  4. Zekeats

Zekeats theranchsucks

7,300 Messages
    7,810 Likes Received
    Fixed it for ya

5. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

60,505 Messages
    63,528 Likes Received
    IR was never in the equation. NFI is and was the proper way to handle it, regardless of if they thought he could play or not.

6. yimyammer

yimyammer Well-Known Member

9,366 Messages
    6,595 Likes Received
    thanks, we don't have any direct quotes from him, correct?

I can't seem to find any but even if he is highly optimistic, I simply can't believe he ever guaranteed a full recovery which is no big deal, imo, its how I would most docs would assess the situation, if anything I would think they'd under estimate the chances of recovery to manage expectations.

7. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

58,185 Messages
    102,646 Likes Received
    Right. Doesn't mean much for this year but recovering fully from the injury would be big for the future.

Trouty, RS12, CowboyStar88 and 4 others like this.
  8. conner01

conner01 Well-Known Member

15,119 Messages
    12,644 Likes Received
    Don't know if he could help you for a playoff push after so long out of the game, but getting out there and getting some reps would be huge for next year. Lots of players have talked about the mental part of returning from serious injuries so getting some reps to get past that some could be important but I just don't see it myself

9. Sydla

Sydla Well-Known Member

41,125 Messages
    60,389 Likes Received
    [​IMG]

Trouty and SeanLee50 like this.
  10. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

10,210 Messages
    12,549 Likes Received
    It's possible, that through his rehab, he realized he can play without the nerve firing.

11. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member

48,236 Messages
    35,317 Likes Received
    This, obviously.
    It'd be great to add him though

robjay04 likes this.
  12. dmq

dmq If I'm so pretty, why am I available?

7,099 Messages
    475 Likes Received
    I doubt anything has changed since this article was written.

Jerry Jones refuses to rule out Jaylon Smith playing for Cowboys this season
    The Cowboys' second-round pick is recovering from nerve damage in his knee

At 3-1, the Cowboys have exceeded expectations. Their starting quarterback, Tony Romo, hasn't played in a game. Their star receiver, Dez Bryant, missed his first game with a hairline fracture in his knee. Their defense is lacking Rolando McClain, DeMarcus Lawrence (who will return this week), and Randy Gregory.

And yet, due to the steady play of rookie quarterback Dak Prescott, the constantly improving Ezekiel Elliott, and a defense that is actually ranked 10th in points allowed, the Cowboys are in the thick of the NFC East race.

More good news for the Cowboys: Rookie linebacker Jaylon Smith might actually play this season, at least according to team owner Jerry Jones. Appearing on 105.3 The Fan, a CBS Sports Radio station, Jones revealed that he still hasn't ruled out Smith making his debut this year.

"We are waiting," Jones said, according to the Star-Telegram. "He's in great shape, great rehab shape with his knee. So we're just trying to hope that he wakes up a nerve, a nerve re-firing or a regeneration of a nerve, is just that. It's like a foot that's gone to sleep and shaking it till it wakes up is how I picture it to some degree.

"I'm not ruling out the fact that he could get on the field this year."

A day ago, Smith posted an optimistic message to his Twitter account, though it's unknown if that message related to his knee.

Oh Lord, Thankyou

— Jaylon Smith (@thejaylonsmith) October 3, 2016
    Smith, a second rounder, probably would've been a top-10 pick if not for a devastating knee injury, which he suffered during Notre Dame's bowl game in January. He tore both his ACL and MCL in addition to damaging the nerve in his knee.

When the Cowboys drafted him, they knew there was a chance he wouldn't play this season. Even if he doesn't, the decision to draft him will work out if he develops into his top-10 potential. But if he can make it back this season with the Cowboys in the hunt for a playoff spot (and with Romo potentially returning), that would be an added bonus.

According to the Star-Telegram, Smith is eligible to practice on Oct. 17. By Nov. 28, the Cowboys have to decide if they want to place him on the 53-man roster.

For that to happen, that knee of his will need to wake up.

13. movaughn88

movaughn88 Well-Known Member

1,192 Messages
    2,185 Likes Received
    I somewhat agree with you guys about his experience level, but Ro Mac has the brain and film study skills of a turnip, and people want him back at times. Jaylon is an athletic freak and total human werewolf. If he can get on the field he would absolutely contribute in certain game situations.

14. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl U.N.I.T.Y Editor

75,464 Messages
    27,810 Likes Received
  15. NextGenBoys

NextGenBoys Well-Known Member

9,252 Messages
    1,964 Likes Received
    Disagree. You can't teach his first step. He will make plays for us again.

WillieBeamen and FuzzyLumpkins like this.
  16. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

96,784 Messages
    23,147 Likes Received
    all I can say is Cowboys have never ruled him out this season. Brandt is giving his opinion or prediction but seems to be pretty much what the Cowboys are hoping for as well.

17. Sydla

Sydla Well-Known Member

41,125 Messages
    60,389 Likes Received
    I still think there's no chance he plays this year but I'd trust Brandt having talked to the kid over sources that are watching this from afar.

We will find out soon enough as the Cowboys are going to have to start making some roster/practice decisions with him as some deadlines are approaching.

Trouty likes this.
  18. pugilist

pugilist Stick N Move

7,129 Messages
    9,862 Likes Received
    Gil Brandt is a well respected insider though. Not the type of person to trump up any news just to generate buzz or clicks or anything like that..

hard to know what to make of it, just have to wait and see..

Trouty likes this.
  19. Jstopper

Jstopper Well-Known Member

3,794 Messages
    5,386 Likes Received
    It hasn't actually been that long. He was playing football in January in the bowl game this year

Trouty and JDSmith like this.
  20. dogunwo

dogunwo Franchise Tagged

9,619 Messages
    4,888 Likes Received
    I am not optimistic about him playing this year, but this was an excellent post and thanks for sharing your personal experience.

Trouty likes this.