Gil Brandt predicts Week 14-15 return for Jaylon Smith

Little Jr

Reaction score
Everything they are doing with him now is keeping the muscles, ligaments and tendons loose to when/if the nerve does fire there shouldn't be much rehab necessary.

BAZ

Drunken Mick
Reaction score
I don't think Mcclain is playing another down for the Cowboys. He doesn't stay in shape when he's not suspended, he's going to be so fat off purple drank by week 11 he'd have to play DT.

although not officially released, I believe it's a foregone conclusion Rolando's days in Dallas are over. I think there's financial implications of releasing him now and is why he hasn't been so yet

I don't believe he's coming back, it was a joke playing off the hopefull thinking Smith would somehow make it back this year.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Sure there is a reason he is injured just as they placed Collins on IR. I don't know if Smith will make it back or not but the Cowboys from the get go has said they feel there is a chance he can play this season if not they could place him IR and open a roster spot in doing so. Of course that would end any hope of his return this season.
IR was never in the equation. NFI is and was the proper way to handle it, regardless of if they thought he could play or not.

yimyammer

Reaction score
It is not guaranteed.
Cooper said he thought he will be fine though.
Nothing is definitive.

Fuzzy may hear of something more.
but i dont think there is much more otherwise this board would have gone nuts

thanks, we don't have any direct quotes from him, correct?

I can't seem to find any but even if he is highly optimistic, I simply can't believe he ever guaranteed a full recovery which is no big deal, imo, its how I would most docs would assess the situation, if anything I would think they'd under estimate the chances of recovery to manage expectations.

conner01

Reaction score
Could you imagine if we get him for the playoff push and run? That could make us an instant Super Bowl contender going into the playoffs IMO.
Don't know if he could help you for a playoff push after so long out of the game, but getting out there and getting some reps would be huge for next year. Lots of players have talked about the mental part of returning from serious injuries so getting some reps to get past that some could be important but I just don't see it myself

Sydla

Reaction score
Friends1.gif

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
It's possible, that through his rehab, he realized he can play without the nerve firing.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
I doubt anything has changed since this article was written.

Jerry Jones refuses to rule out Jaylon Smith playing for Cowboys this season
The Cowboys' second-round pick is recovering from nerve damage in his knee

At 3-1, the Cowboys have exceeded expectations. Their starting quarterback, Tony Romo, hasn't played in a game. Their star receiver, Dez Bryant, missed his first game with a hairline fracture in his knee. Their defense is lacking Rolando McClain, DeMarcus Lawrence (who will return this week), and Randy Gregory.

And yet, due to the steady play of rookie quarterback Dak Prescott, the constantly improving Ezekiel Elliott, and a defense that is actually ranked 10th in points allowed, the Cowboys are in the thick of the NFC East race.

More good news for the Cowboys: Rookie linebacker Jaylon Smith might actually play this season, at least according to team owner Jerry Jones. Appearing on 105.3 The Fan, a CBS Sports Radio station, Jones revealed that he still hasn't ruled out Smith making his debut this year.

"We are waiting," Jones said, according to the Star-Telegram. "He's in great shape, great rehab shape with his knee. So we're just trying to hope that he wakes up a nerve, a nerve re-firing or a regeneration of a nerve, is just that. It's like a foot that's gone to sleep and shaking it till it wakes up is how I picture it to some degree.

"I'm not ruling out the fact that he could get on the field this year."

A day ago, Smith posted an optimistic message to his Twitter account, though it's unknown if that message related to his knee.

Oh Lord, Thankyou

— Jaylon Smith (@thejaylonsmith) October 3, 2016
Smith, a second rounder, probably would've been a top-10 pick if not for a devastating knee injury, which he suffered during Notre Dame's bowl game in January. He tore both his ACL and MCL in addition to damaging the nerve in his knee.

When the Cowboys drafted him, they knew there was a chance he wouldn't play this season. Even if he doesn't, the decision to draft him will work out if he develops into his top-10 potential. But if he can make it back this season with the Cowboys in the hunt for a playoff spot (and with Romo potentially returning), that would be an added bonus.

According to the Star-Telegram, Smith is eligible to practice on Oct. 17. By Nov. 28, the Cowboys have to decide if they want to place him on the 53-man roster.

For that to happen, that knee of his will need to wake up.

movaughn88

Reaction score
This, obviously.
It'd be great to add him though

I somewhat agree with you guys about his experience level, but Ro Mac has the brain and film study skills of a turnip, and people want him back at times. Jaylon is an athletic freak and total human werewolf. If he can get on the field he would absolutely contribute in certain game situations.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
IR was never in the equation. NFI is and was the proper way to handle it, regardless of if they thought he could play or not.
all I can say is Cowboys have never ruled him out this season. Brandt is giving his opinion or prediction but seems to be pretty much what the Cowboys are hoping for as well.

Sydla

Reaction score

I still think there's no chance he plays this year but I'd trust Brandt having talked to the kid over sources that are watching this from afar.

We will find out soon enough as the Cowboys are going to have to start making some roster/practice decisions with him as some deadlines are approaching.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
I think a lot of people just think that once the nerve fires, it's game on. I had a pinched nerve in my neck for 9 months while I fought with workman's comp (hurt it in an attic fire). Turn my head to the right and my left arm would go numb.

I finally was able to get the surgery done to fuse C4 and C5 and good as new, except nothing had changed. The first month after surgery I was really depressed, absolutely no progress. I wrongly assumed after a few weeks I would start seeing improvement but it wasn't like that. There was never any day to day progress or even week to week, but after a couple of months looking back I could see that I had made some progress. It seemed like more of a month to month thing for the nerve to heal after being pinched for so long. It took about 8 months for the numbness to go totally away.

My point being is I don't think he woke up one day and the nerve was firing. I think it has been so gradual that you can't even describe your progress. Listening to him and a couple of reports I think he has made progress and it has been enough time for him to look back and clearly see he is progressing. It's frustrating really because everybody that sees you wants to know how you are progressing and you really can't see it on a day to day basis.

I know we had different injuries but nerves don't respond the same way other body parts do. Everything I have heard really sounds encouraging and I think people inside the organization believe he will play this year, but it's not going to be a foregone conclusion. I do believe the nerve is firing to an extent.
I am not optimistic about him playing this year, but this was an excellent post and thanks for sharing your personal experience.