News: Gil Brandt's 10 most talented teams in the NFL (Cowboys 2)

Diehardblues

Reaction score
There have been prolific passing QB's in the past that never won a championship. There have been bus driver QB's that have rings.

That position isn't about passing to me, although they have to be proficient at that, it is about the right QB for a team. Brady is the right QB for that team because they've been most aware of building a team. Rivers is the right QB for LAC but they've failed to build it right around him and he's had a coaching carousel. But talent wise, I'd put him up there with any I've ever seen.

What we do not know for certain yet is Prescott the right QB for this team? You, and quite a few others with opinions I respect, seem to feel he's not a good enough passer and I agree, there are more accurate passers, but that does not mean he is not the right QB for this team. There is just no ignoring the first three years of his career and there are only two people in the NFL that get the record attached to their name.

I would not rank Prescott in the top 16 from a "prolific" viewpoint when comparing him to the other QB's in passing. However, when I consider the team effect of each QB and all of the elements of playing that position, he breaks the top 10 for me. He has this elusive intangible quality that his former coach Mullen referred to that can't be learned, it is innate in some.

It's like when Bernie Kosar, Joe Kapp and Billy Kilmer played. I looked at them passing and wondered 'how in the hell did they get that job'? Because they won. They weren't pretty to watch but not one of their teammates would have wanted another QB. Prescott certainly doesn't look like them, but he has that same effect on his teammates. Many assume if we take Brady, Brees and Rodgers and insert them into his position they will be more successful but I am not so sure about that.

When they bring a new Clydesdale into the team, they try different combinations to see how they work together and it is not always the prettiest or one that performed the best in individual training that makes the team, it is the one that best understands how to fit into the team.
Right

I’m not disputing Dak isn’t enough to win a championship . And he might be the perfect fit for us as you are suggesting.

I was arguing despite stats the last 3 years I believe Goff and Wentz are more Prolific Passers than Prescott. That’s my opinion based on what I’ve seen.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Keep being curious. It's a worthless debate of an entirely subjective term. I'm not wasting my time.

This will be my last time-wasting response on that matter.
LMAO, I wish I had a dollar for every time someone has responded to Greg like that. The man is relentless and of all the posters I'd least try to take a bone away from were he a dog, he's right at the top of the list. And stash, he loves being this way.:cool:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Id go on to argue that if we had any of these QB in this Top 10 list we’d be more serious contenders for the Super Bowl. I did mention initially that I might give you Trubisky.

I’m not sure I’d rank Prescott as a more Prolific Passer than any of the others despite whatever stats the last 3 years might provide which was the deadend Stasheroo and I arrived at. He felt my opinion was worthless since it defied some of the stats he provided in comparison which is a valid argument that didn’t sway me.

reddyuta

Reaction score
I cant disagree with this,Eagles lines are better than ours,cownoys LBs are clearly better than theirs though.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sports writers, analyst and fans often have opinions which don’t align with our own. They often have little meaning if they dispute our opinions and beliefs.
Ya see, I disagree with that. I do seek out opinions that differ from my own to examine if I am as sold on my opinion. The only qualifier is that there has to be something to shore up that opinion.

There are posters here with differing opinions than my own and I respect their opinion, even if I do not feel it is rooted in rational logic but then again, that is coming from my own opinion.

I suspect there is some spin to Brandt's opinion and the one guy that would have preferred him keep that to himself is Garrett. A HC, in a contract year, doesn't need one of the past builders of very good teams raking his talent 2nd in the NFL. If they're unsuccessful, Brandt has laid that old argument, coaching vs talent, to rest.

Now, if DAL and PHL meet in the NFCCG, after one beats CHI, I am going to have to read more from Mr. Brandt.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
I cant disagree with this,Eagles lines are better than ours,cownoys LBs are clearly better than theirs though.

They beat us at Oline, Dline, Safety, TE, and probably WR, along with both special teams spots.

We have them at QB, RB, and LB

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Ya see, I disagree with that. I do seek out opinions that differ from my own to examine if I am as sold on my opinion. The only qualifier is that there has to be something to shore up that opinion.

There are posters here with differing opinions than my own and I respect their opinion, even if I do not feel it is rooted in rational logic but then again, that is coming from my own opinion.

I suspect there is some spin to Brandt's opinion and the one guy that would have preferred him keep that to himself is Garrett. A HC, in a contract year, doesn't need one of the past builders of very good teams raking his talent 2nd in the NFL. If they're unsuccessful, Brandt has laid that old argument, coaching vs talent, to rest.

Now, if DAL and PHL meet in the NFCCG, after one beats CHI, I am going to have to read more from Mr. Brandt.
I’d agree. Last thing Garrett wants to see while best thing Jerry wants to see.

But it also picks Egirls ahead of us which means we shouldn’t be expected to win division simply playing for a Wild Card which kinda of meshes it all.

My biggest issue is like most Scouts or talent recruiters they aren’t evaluating the best teams just individual talent which if most of the other teams have the greater talent at the most critical position it could trump other factors .

As you mentioned in another thread or it might have been this one that even with the assembled talent we have on offense we still are ranked 22nd in total offense which generally isnt winning championships.

Do we want to dissect why? Is it our coaching which has had mostly top 10 offenses? Is it our leagues leading rusher, WR1 and receiving Corp or OL? Or our QB? Possibly contributing factors .

For me when I look at the talent in this offense it’s greatest weakness is it’s passing QB. I’m not saying there’s not other factors but from what I’ve seen it’s the greatest factor. Play calling is easy to critic but how much of that is centered around the weaknesses of our QB.

Again, Prescott is enough to remain a contender for the division assuming he has the supporting cast. His intangible assets are well documented but surely everyone sees compared to these other Prolific Passers( there’s that term again)the obstacles he presents.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
“ Prolific passer” is a subjective term but commonly used to describe a QB.

Here are some examples I browsed with ease in case some aren’t as familiar or comfortable with the term.
https://whodatdish.com/2019/05/10/is-brees-underpaid/

https://athlonsports.com/nfl/25-greatest-quarterbacks-nfl-history-2016

https://m.sfgate.com/49ers/article/A-prolific-passer-Jimmy-Garoppolo-could-be-12425128.php

I could go on. But “ prolific “ is a term as commonly used as “ elite”.

You really dont have to go on, nobody cares.

But just to clear it up for; the better your QB is the better your team is. Dak has been better than both Wentz and especially Goff. No "prolific" BS, he's just been better.
There you go.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

But just to clear it up for; the better your QB is the better your team is. Dak has been better than both Wentz and especially Goff. No "prolific" BS, he's just been better.
There you go.
Define better? That sounds like a subjective term.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They beat us at Oline, Dline, Safety, TE, and probably WR, along with both special teams spots.

We have them at QB, RB, and LB
I would add coaching to their side of the ledger.

Not sure about the WR position just yet, need to see the Cowboys in action and I would only give the Cowboys the edge at RB with the starter. Howard and Clement, along with that OL, can be a very effective duo.

The real edge is along those lines and the Cowboys have a couple of more ?'s than the Eagles do.

But the real difference is that they have to be concerned about their QB staying healthy, their season depends on that, not that the Cowboys and hell of a lot more teams don't have the situation but the history is against Wentz playing all 16. Those Eagles fans are going to be like we were with Romo, every time he gets hit, they're going to hold their breath until they see him get up not limping.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Are saying picking the Cowboys over the Eagles is uneducated?
Nope, but it would need to be explained as to how someone comes to that conclusion.

Just like I gave my reasons as to why I chose the Eagles over Cowboys roster.

csirl

Reaction score

There you go.

:lmao:

Wentz was 11-2 on a SB winning team. His QBR has been above 100 and better than Dak in each of the past 2 seasons.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
:lmao:

Wentz was 11-2 on a SB winning team. His QBR has been above 100 and better than Dak in each of the past 2 seasons.

Wait you want to use record as a basis for who is better now?

Dak 32-16
Wentz 23-17

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

AND Dak's career Rating is still higher than Wentz's. So both of your basis for comparison favor Dak. Yikes, delete this while you can

:muttley:

Wentz's team around him was so good that they won a super bowl without him. What a stupid comment lmao

Last edited:

csirl

Reaction score
Wait you want to use record as a basis for who is better now?

Dak 32-16
Wentz 23-17

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

His team around him was so good that they won a super bowl without him. What a stupid comment lmao

The problem is you cant see the wood for the trees. The record belongs to the team, not the individual.

While I hate to say it, Wentz has made a significant contribution to a SB winning season. This cannot be denied. His career achievements are better than most QBs of his age. Daks achievements are nowhere near this and if the truth be told, he has been a limiting factor on a team that is underachieving.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If both teams stay relatively healthy, I pick PHL to win the East because I think they have the better team. And relatively healthy doesn't mean players on IR, it means players able to play close to 100%. Wentz, banged up, and not nearly as effective.

I've got the Cowboys at 2nd in the East and fighting with SEA, GB, MIN, ATL and CAR for a WC spot. The only thing I know for sure is that will change once the season hits the halfway mark because it always does. And it wouldn't surprise me if SF and those pesky Skins are just lying in the weeds.