Give Henson a break

The Duke

Reaction score
I think way too many people are rushing to conclusions on Henson. The mechanics change can throw off your timing and decision making when you first get out there in full pads and a regular practice. I'm just saying for now let's give him the full preseason and the preseason games before we run him out of town.

He can't be nearly as bad as Quincy Carter's first professional pass (I think it was first). He threw one ugly duck 2 yards high and behind a SLANT route.

Blame the mechanics change I say. Heck they should have left it alone. It wasn't any worse than Bernie Kosar's.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Preseason games it is time to put up or shut up. Round one is coming in a week and half. This is his shot and you know that he knows it as well.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
No Henson has a career "free pass". Its time for him to make his break.

No excuses.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I believe Romo struggled at the beginning of camp last season. He too had to change his throwing mechanics. Henson has plenty of time to put things together.

jlust22

Reaction score
Practice is one thing, but jobs are won and lost during the preseason games. It's hard to make true judgements on players based on what goes on during practice. Let's see how Henson and the rest of these young guys do during game action. With Henson, the major concern I have is how he overcomes so much football inactivity. Assuming he sits on the bench again this whole season, that will be five consecutive years of no real game action. At some point, it may just be too much for him to overcome. I would love for him to succeed since I am Michigan graduate myself and a big fan of him personally, but I have my doubts that it will happen.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
From Radiohead's report for today, sounds like Henson had a better day.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Brad Sham said on dc.com that Henson has gotten better since the first day when he was terrible.

The Duke

Reaction score
It takes a couple of practices and days of a new season for a QB to get comfortable. It just depends on the individual. Getting use to throwing in shoulder pads bothered me the first couple of times out. Those 6,000 passes were without them you know.

Not making excuses for the guy but he played surprisingly too good last year on particular plays to turn into a bozo completely.

Bring on the games.

Ken

Reaction score
I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, but he has to show me something this preseason.

IF he struggles, but shows good awareness and makes some big time throws, he is fine in my book.

If he can't beat out Romo, we have problems.

Wolverine

Zimmer Hater
Reaction score
I have been a big backer of Henson and most in here know that. I was p*ssed that Bledsoe was brought in at first cuz I thought it would hold back Henson.

Good thing we got Bledsoe.

Henson has shown no improvement at all. Actually he looks worse then last year. I was hoping for more but now I just do not see the guy ever making it in the NFL.

Dallas really should consider making moving up in one of the the future drafts to take the top QB in the draft instead of going with these projects. Get a guy right out of college let him him learn behind Bledsoe for a year or maybe 2 and then he takes over.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
I am trying very hard to avoid making any snap judgements on a player from second hand reports coming out of training camp.

I am waiting to see these guys under fire in preseason games.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Nors said:
No Henson has a career "free pass".

Like another Drew I could mention.

No excuses.

That's right, none.

For Henson as a developmental player this summer, the standard is showing
Bill enough that he doesn't feel compelled to dial up 1-800-QB before Sept 11. He has to inspire Tuna's confidence sufficiently. Same goes for Tony.

For Bledsoe, thirteen year vet and former top first round pick and loaded with offensive weapons, the standard is carrying the defense if need be.

No excuses on his mission, either.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
Like another Drew I could mention.

That's right, none.

For Henson as a developmental player this summer, the standard is showing
Bill enough that he doesn't feel compelled to dial up 1-800-QB before Sept 11. He has to inspire Tuna's confidence sufficiently. Same goes for Tony.

For Bledsoe, thirteen year vet and former top first round pick and loaded with offensive weapons, the standard is carrying the defense if need be.

No excuses on his mission, either.

Does not look like Bledsoe is looking for excuses he appears to be out there trying to prove his critics and the Buffalo Bills wrong, as for a free pass he is getting the same treatment many vet QB's get who are signed by teams in need at QB. We certainly did not bring him in to warm the bench.

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
I say if henson wants a break he needs to earn it. In his time here has he shown any sign that he has what it takes to be a starting QB?

The only thing I've seen that says he might stand anywhere near a snowballs chance in Hell is the commitment he showed this offseason. Other than that Henson has been all hype IMO

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Henson is going to be fine, he does not need any excuses and I don't think he is looking for any he just needs to continue to work hard and his talent will start showing.

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
Henson has been given breaks his entire life based on his potential.

The only time he's showed returns was during his final year at Ann Arbor.

I think he already got his break when he was given a contract and roster spot.

He's got till the end of training camp in 2006 to showcase what type of Qb he's going to be.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Charles said:
Henson has been given breaks his entire life based on his potential.

The only time he's showed returns was during his final year at Ann Arbor.

I think he already got his break when he was given a contract and roster spot.

He's got till the end of training camp in 2006 to showcase what type of Qb he's going to be.

How should that be considered a break? He got a contract like any other player who enters the NFL. As for getting a break in college based on potential, it was based on his play in High school just as it is for every other kid entering college. I just don't see any special breaks he is getting that is undeserved.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
How should that be considered a break? He got a contract like any other player who enters the NFL. As for getting a break in college based on potential, it was based on his play in High school just as it is for every other kid entering college. I just don't see any special breaks he is getting that is undeserved.

The post was about giving Henson a "break".

He's been given nothing but free passes on his potential. He was given Big $ in baseball. He never produced.

Here he is now year 2 - time to produce. If thats harsh, oh well. This is life.