Give Henson a break

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
Waffle said:
That's a plausable prediction if you ask me.

The one thing going against Romo is that Henson got guaranteed money and we traded away a 3rd for him. I have yet to see anything out of either guy to make me believe one or both are the real deal. Insufficient data.

There's always the practice squad ...

marsbennett

Mars Man
Reaction score
The Duke said:
I think way too many people are rushing to conclusions on Henson. The mechanics change can throw off your timing and decision making when you first get out there in full pads and a regular practice. I'm just saying for now let's give him the full preseason and the preseason games before we run him out of town.

He can't be nearly as bad as Quincy Carter's first professional pass (I think it was first). He threw one ugly duck 2 yards high and behind a SLANT route.

Blame the mechanics change I say. Heck they should have left it alone. It wasn't any worse than Bernie Kosar's.
I'll give him a pass...right to the third QB position. and don't mention Henson in comparison with Bernie. Bernie got us over the hump with Troy on the sideline. I wouldn't want to have to count on Henson to do the same thing.....at this point.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
jksmith269 said:
I say if henson wants a break he needs to earn it. In his time here has he shown any sign that he has what it takes to be a starting QB?

The only thing I've seen that says he might stand anywhere near a snowballs chance in Hell is the commitment he showed this offseason. Other than that Henson has been all hype IMO

Drew at least has a great attitude and putting in the extra work:

Drew Henson: Stays After Practice Wednesday

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
marsbennett said:
I'll give him a pass...right to the third QB position. and don't mention Henson in comparison with Bernie. Bernie got us over the hump with Troy on the sideline. I wouldn't want to have to count on Henson to do the same thing.....at this point.

You're a troll ...

:laugh2:

Waffle

Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy said:
Drew at least has a great attitude and putting in the extra work:

That's nice and all, but he needs to be staying late and putting in extra work if these early reports from camp are true.

I believe the reason some people are so blatently anti-Henson is simply to counterweigh those who are 'mega' pro-Henson without any basis for their opinion other than where he was "supposed" to be drafted had he stuck w/ football.

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
Waffle said:
That's nice and all, but he needs to be staying late and putting in extra work if these early reports from camp are true.

I believe the reason some people are so blatently anti-Henson is simply to counterweigh those who are 'mega' pro-Henson without any basis for their opinion other than where he was "supposed" to be drafted had he stuck w/ football.

:hammer:

Someone has to keep it real ... ;)

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Banned_n_austin said:
There's always the practice squad ...

Henson has guaranteed money - may take him YEARS to see it. Based on missed incentive he will have played his first 2 seasons at Rookie min. He's getting paid 6th rounder money and with Bledsoe here he may never get out of that rookie min contract.

Romo actually was given a nice contract and bonus - Romo is making more money than Henson......

noletime1995

Reaction score
He had a guaranteed roster bonus of $3 Mil+ this year. He's getting paid handsomely this year. Next year I believe he has an additional $500K or so guaranteed, so we'd actually lose cap $$$ cutting him.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
noletime1995 said:
He had a guaranteed roster bonus of $3 Mil+ this year. He's getting paid handsomely this year. Next year I believe he has an additional $500K or so guaranteed, so we'd actually lose cap $$$ cutting him.
He signed a 6th round deal - I'll post the facts. Your are really wrong on a $3M bonus this year.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Henson signs contract with Dallas Cowboys
IRVING, Texas (AP) — Quarterback Drew Henson signed an eight-year contract Tuesday with the Dallas Cowboys, the latest step in his transition from baseball to football.
Henson's agent, Tom Condon of IMG Football, said the contract will be submitted Wednesday to the NFL Management Council for its approval.

The Cowboys gave the Houston Texans a third-round pick in 2005 in exchange for Henson.

Henson is guaranteed $3.5 million and can become a free agent after four seasons if he or the Cowboys void the final four seasons of the deal. He'll make the rookie minimum of $238,000 this season and can raise his annual base salary based on playing time.

The Texans selected Henson in the sixth round of last year's draft. Houston, which already has David Carr at quarterback, planned all along to deal the former Michigan starter who spent three full-time seasons playing baseball in the New York Yankees' organization.

Henson, 24, worked out for 20 teams in Houston earlier this offseason.

Henson completed 214 of 374 passes (57 percent) for 2,946 yards and 24 touchdowns with only seven interceptions in his three seasons at Michigan. He was widely expected to be a high first-round choice in 2001 or '02, if he'd returned to Michigan for his senior year.

Instead, he tried baseball, but now is headed to the NFL.

He missed playing time incentives and is playing for 2nd year min. He played for Rookie min last year. Likely he misses incentive in 2005 and is looking well into 2006/7 to see that money. Hutch made the same score in his contract.

Romo signed a 2 year $1.9M extension with bonus this year. He's making more than Henson in 2005.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Henson, Drew
View Stats at Players Inc Site
Player Info
Draft Info

QB (#)
Year: 2003

Dallas Cowboys
Round: 6

W Bloomfield, MI
Position: 19

Salary History

2004 230000.00
2005 305000.00
2006 385000.00
2007 460000.00
2008 545000.00
2009 545000.00
2010 545000.00
2011 670000.00

CowboyManDan

Reaction score
Nors said:
He missed playing time incentives and is playing for 2nd year min. He played for Rookie min last year. Likely he misses incentive in 2005 and is looking well into 2006/7 to see that money. Hutch made the same score in his contract.

Romo signed a 2 year $1.9M extension with bonus this year. He's making more than Henson in 2005.

Thank you for the info/facts, Nors.
Like Parcells said, both need to improve. But with it being year 3 here for Romo, and with the higher salary, it means there's just as much if not more pressure to perform and win the #2 job for him. Henson, for now, just has the more heralded hype to live up to, but his salary is not a problem now.
It should be an interesting battle. I'm looking forward to the preseason games.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nors said:
Henson, Drew
View Stats at Players Inc Site
Player Info
Draft Info

QB (#)
Year: 2003

Dallas Cowboys
Round: 6

W Bloomfield, MI
Position: 19

Salary History

2004 230000.00
2005 305000.00
2006 385000.00
2007 460000.00
2008 545000.00
2009 545000.00
2010 545000.00
2011 670000.00
Impressive fact digging Nors. Former detective?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
It has long been my motto that no player deserves a break for poor play. As much as I have hopes for Drew Henson, and root for him, if he is not doing well then the fans have every right to be concerned and voice their opinions.

The thing about the old debates that I hated the most was the mindset that I couldn't be unhappy with how someone was playing.

Huh? Since when?

The last time I checked that was legal. I don't mind the negative opinions on Henson right now. He either has to step up his game or be moved aside. That's how this game is played.

Doesn't matter who you are or how much I may like you or root for you, not good enough, is not good enough.

marsbennett

Mars Man
Reaction score
Hostile said:
It has long been my motto that no player deserves a break for poor play. As much as I have hopes for Drew Henson, and root for him, if he is not doing well then the fans have every right to be concerned and voice their opinions.

The thing about the old debates that I hated the most was the mindset that I couldn't be unhappy with how someone was playing.

Huh? Since when?

The last time I checked that was legal. I don't mind the negative opinions on Henson right now. He either has to step up his game or be moved aside. That's how this game is played.

Doesn't matter who you are or how much I may like you or root for you, not good enough, is not good enough.
Ol' Ben is gonna label you a troll.....as if you or anyone else gives a ****.

You are spot on (as they say), and now we see a series of childish threads because the guy can't beat back a challenge from Romo for 2nd string.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Nors said:
Henson has guaranteed money - may take him YEARS to see it. Based on missed incentive he will have played his first 2 seasons at Rookie min. He's getting paid 6th rounder money and with Bledsoe here he may never get out of that rookie min contract.

Romo actually was given a nice contract and bonus - Romo is making more money than Henson......
One problem, your looking at it wrong Nors. Henson's 3.5 million is guaranteed. If you cut him you have to pay him what he hasn't been paid and you take the cap hit for it. So he is assured of making the roster. Romo on the other hand isn't guaranteed that money, he has to play well enough to earn it or get cut loose. (Just like Randal Williams):cool:

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
marsbennett said:
Ol' Ben is gonna label you a troll.....as if you or anyone else gives a ****.

You are spot on (as they say), and now we see a series of childish threads because the guy can't beat back a challenge from Romo for 2nd string.

Hey Mars. I was kidding about you being a troll. I actually meant that someone else would call you a troll for having that opinion. I actually agree with you ... and Hos' post there about being good enough as well ...

Simma down nah!

Not good enough ... is not good enough ... that's how I look at it ...