Give me dominant DL over super star QB

visionary

Reaction score
If they only have up 9 points I think Winston could have won that game along with many other QBs.

LOL how many picks would Winston have thrown?

How accurate was Winston going to be?

What you are saying is that if Winston had played as well as Brady then they win the game . As I’m sure you will agree, that is not a reasonable assumption so the answer would be: NO

Flamma

Reaction score
Let me preface this by saying this has nothing to do with Daks contract or his value.

Thinking of what’s won the last 12 years, I think it’s obvious, if you have a dominant defensive line, you can win more than with a super star QB.

Examples:

Giants - 08 and 11.
Broncos - 2015
Eagles - 2017
Tampa - 2020

The Seahawks first Super Bowl in 2013 and the Ravens in 2012 were also both won by solid-above average QBs at the time.

Offense only teams rarely win. Last years Chiefs are about the only team to do so. The Rams-Patriots game in 2018 was the ultimate defensive struggle.

So what this means for Dallas - you can’t win anything except maybe a 9-7 NFC East title until you get the DT spots shored up with real players.

I agree with you. But how long can you maintain a dominating defensive line compared to a super star QB? That's multiple impact players. Hell yeah I'd love that. You'd dominate the LOS. That's a huge reason the 49ers got to the SB last year. But they weren't dominant in that game.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
Or it could be Suh and a 2nd year Devin White taking a big step. Brady definitely helped mainly by not turning the ball over like Jameis did but Brady doesn’t win the last 2 games without that defense. In fact he probably gets trucked.
When you look at Tampa Bay's free agent signings in 2020... Brady, Gronk, AB, Fournette on offense, all good but only Brady & Fournette were starters.

On defense, the only significant signing was Suh. They signed Rakeem Nunez-Roches but he got hurt early. (Shaq Barrett the year before)

This is a team that was built from within.

That's a credit to FO & especially to coaching. As long as Jerry's in charge, those things won't change. Jerry can't buy a championship and can't seem to put together a good enough team/organization

Flamma

Reaction score

What you are saying is that if Winston had played as well as Brady then they win the game . As I’m sure you will agree, that is not a reasonable assumption so the answer would be: NO

I don't think he's saying that because you could say that about anyone. I think he thinks Winston wins despite himself because the Tampa D was dominant. But like you said, if Winston was there the Chiefs may have scored more than 9 points and Tampa less than 31 all because of Winston.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
so what about the cases with Brady, Peyton, Rodgers, Brees, Wilson, Montana, Young, Wilson, Warner, Ben Roth, .Mahomes,..etc. or do we still just wanna cherry-pick around those kind of QBs too ?

…The Rams Patriot 2018 Super bowl also starred big name starting QBs, .. the idea is that you want to Combine star QB play with a dominant or capable Defensive unit.
Russell wasn’t a superstar when he won
Roethlisberger and Brady weren’t superstars when they won their first one.
Manning beat Rex Grossman and then was nothing more than a game manager for his second one with the Broncos.

Finding teams that won solely due to their QB and had an average defense is much less than those that did solely because of their defense which had an average QB.

Warner
Mahomes
Brees are the rarity.

Johnny23

Reaction score
Not even close. Brady had 4600 yards passing and 40 TD passes in the regular season. He was right behind Rodgers and Mahomes. The FACT (which is laughably indisputable at this point) is that Tampa underwent a culture change when Brady arrived. Not only did Brady raise the level of the offense, but he also raised the level of the defense b/c nobody wants to embarrass themselves in front of Tom Brady. Thats what the Tampa players say. And again, this was not a playoff team prior to his arrival. To surmise that the team carried Brady is absurd.
Get 'em AC. He transformed this team from a collection of nice pieces to a fire breathing Dragon. I

sean10mm

Reaction score
Tampa players AND coaches have been very public that Brady was like another coach who managed to both win everybody over in the locker room and whip them into a real team.

He also had a low key perfect game. 3 TD 0 turnovers 72% completion 125.8 passer rating. At age 43!

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Or it could be Suh and a 2nd year Devin White taking a big step. Brady definitely helped mainly by not turning the ball over like Jameis did but Brady doesn’t win the last 2 games without that defense. In fact he probably gets trucked.

You could say the same thing about all those Super Bowls he won in NE. Now he moves to a new team......gets no preseason or much of a TC with his new team but wins another Super Bowl. And laughably, you are making the same argument that critics threw at him in NE......." Its the coaching" .... "Its the defense". blah blah. But there Brady stands with a 7th Super Bowl ring and 5th super bowl MVP. Maybe its time you showed some respect and acknowledged greatness when its right in front of your eyes.

basel90

Reaction score
they had an elite running game with HOFer Terrell Davis. There wasn't anything dominant with that 90's Broncos defense.
it just had to be competitive enough to help give that team a chance at winning the SB's ...vs Dan Reeves Broncos version that got blown out of every SB game.
Yes the running game was dominant indeed , and elway's passing did not feature much. I think they had some HOF defensive players (Champ Baily , Atwater etc ) but am a bit hazy and not sure. but i remember when the broncos defense improved , they ended their super bowl futility.

quickccc

Reaction score
Russell wasn’t a superstar when he won Roethlisberger and Brady weren’t superstars when they won their first one.
Manning beat Rex Grossman and then was nothing more than a game manager for his second one with the Broncos.

Finding teams that won solely due to their QB and had an average defense is much less than those that did solely because of their defense which had an average QB.

Warner
Mahomes
Brees are the rarity.

- They had super star winning pedigree and we saw it emerge to it's potential the more creditable surrounding cast and support that

- Manning beat Tom Brady in the AFC championship title game to advance to first SB. .. and Brady is no Rex Grossman.

- Warner, Brees and Mahomes were league MVPs and NFL record setters at one point and time .. and it's rarity ?

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Let me preface this by saying this has nothing to do with Daks contract or his value.

Thinking of what’s won the last 12 years, I think it’s obvious, if you have a dominant defensive line, you can win more than with a super star QB.

Examples:

Giants - 08 and 11.
Broncos - 2015
Eagles - 2017
Tampa - 2020

The Seahawks first Super Bowl in 2013 and the Ravens in 2012 were also both won by solid-above average QBs at the time.

Offense only teams rarely win. Last years Chiefs are about the only team to do so. The Rams-Patriots game in 2018 was the ultimate defensive struggle.

So what this means for Dallas - you can’t win anything except maybe a 9-7 NFC East title until you get the DT spots shored up with real players.
Gotta have both. We have the super start QB in Dak if he's resigned, just need a better d-line and o-line.

lk8701

Reaction score

Examples:

Giants - 08 and 11.
Broncos - 2015
Eagles - 2017
Tampa - 2020

I would take a great d-line instead overpaying Dak with superstar QB money. Trade Dak and Gallup (one year left on his deal) to the Jets for the 2nd overall pick, 23rd overall pick, and DT Quinnen Williams. Draft QB Zach Wilson (2nd pick), CB Caleb Farley (10th pick), and CB Jaycee Horn (23rd pick) in the 1st round. Draft OT Alex Leatherwood in the 2nd round. Draft a replacement for Gallup in the 3rd round. Draft a RB in the 4th round. Sign S Justin Simmons, DT Dalvin Tomlinson, DE Yannick Ngakoue, and OL Joe Thuney in free agency.

D-Line: D Law, Williams (will be an all pro next season imo), Tomlinson, Ngakoue, Gregory, and Gallimore. Very good rotation.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Tampa Bay dominance was more than just the DL, the linebackers were no slouches and they have a good secondary. Plus they executed a great game plan by Bowles. It was a perfect game by them. Kansas City looked dumbfounded, and without its tackles, which is hard to do. But still, yes i would love to have a dominating DL at the minimum.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So how did Aaron Donald end up home for the final game. Wasnt their defense number 1 in the league. And wasnt the Ravens defense the No 1 in the AFC. Sorry, give me an elite QB any game against any body.
He sat home just like an elite QB like Rodgers did. Balance matters - having strong enough units on both sides of the ball that one can step up if the other falters or makes a mistake. Tampa won with that kind of balance.

uvaballa

Reaction score

Yes any QB who didn’t put their D in bad position wins that game. All you had to do was throw short passes to WRs and dump offs to the RB.