Give the Gig to Garrett!

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As a fan who has very often been highly critical of Jason Garrett, it hurts my personal pride a bit to say this, but the man has done an incredible job with this team under adverse conditions and I feel that he truly deserves to be officially named the team's head coach.

And honestly, Rooney Rule be damned, it would truly be criominal for the Cowboys to have to go through the sham of interviewing a minority when they have the man they want for the job.

Would the Viking have to do the same with regard to Leslie Frazier? No, they wouldn't. And if the Cowboys had to, it would be the same discirimination that we're trying to finally be rid of.

Jason Garrett has changed the entire culture of this organization within a few weeks' time.

With an underperforming offensive line, a backup QB (who make no mistake is playing well), and a defense left in shambles.

He's this close to being 4-0 in that span.

The turnaround has been truly epic and I agree with what Howie Long said on Sunday. The Cowwboys under Jason Garrett are a team that nobody wants to play right now.

Despite my earlier criticisms, I have been completely wrong about Garrett being the head coach.

And I am oh so happy to admit it.

But I have 'seen the light' and now enthusiastically support the man getting the job on a full-time basis.

I eagerly await seeing what he can accomplish with a full offseason to put his coaches and his players in place.

Time to remove the 'interim' tag and let the man run full throttle!

superpunk

Reaction score
http://img84.*************/img84/7512/621x322.jpg

Peace be upon you, my son.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
You can give Ray Sherman an interview.

Maybe even promote him to OC

Norv wouldnt be the way to go. Too many cooks in the kitchen there

AbeBeta

Reaction score
You cannot remove an interim tag in the middle of a season. Garrett simply cannot be hired until the season is over and Jerry has satisfied interviewing requirements.

I fully expect a day or two after our season ends that Garrett will be hired full time. I also expect that Jerry is going to use the interviewing period to sniff around some hot-ish cooridnators types like Ron Rivera and Karl Dorrrel

Aven8

Reaction score
I myslef have been adament about my stance on Garrett. I still think Jerry would be doing a disservice to the fans without going through the whole IV process with all interested parties.

What I'm most concerned of is the coaches around Garrett. If it stays the same as it is now, I say let all of them go. He needs to bring in a top notch OC/DC. Remember he is still learning as he goes and will need to lean on that experience in the future.

But to state that Garrett is a saviour or whatever is crazy. All he did was get this team to play like we all thought they should/would be playing all season. We've had the talent all along. It's not like we are Buffalo and suddenly the Interim HC comes in and turned this thing into a winner. Remember we were SB favorites.

I still have some reservations about the personnel decisions that are being made, most notibly Choice, and a few others. If Jerry does go through the entire process in the offseason and Garrett is his guy then I will concede, but only if we bring in the OC/DC.

I've stated this a dozen times but if Jerry get's this one wrong this go around he will set this franchise back another 5 years.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
There is still something in the Soup that isn't quite right.

But today HOW BOUT' DEM COWBOYS can be typed with atleast a simblance of decency.

Deadhead Red sucked as an Offensive Coordinator but if he continues in this general direction for the rest of the year, then Jason Garrett gets the Head Coaching gig hands down.

Nirvana

Reaction score
stasheroo;3733472 said:
And honestly, Rooney Rule be damned, it would truly be criminal for the Cowboys to have to go through the sham of interviewing a minority when they have the man they want for the job.

Jerry just needs to have lunch with Ray Sherman and call it a day.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Nirvana;3733864 said:
Jerry just needs to have lunch with Ray Sherman and call it a day.

The Rooney Rule provides an outstanding opportunity for Jerry to pick the brains of up and coming candidates and possibly guys who will be available for assistant positions at some point. Given how much Jerry likes being involved in hires of that nature, he likely recognizes the benefits of following the correct procedures and not making a mockery of it with a BS interview.

Kalyan

Reaction score
stasheroo;3733472 said:
As a fan who has very often been highly critical of Jason Garrett, it hurts my personal pride a bit to say this, but the man has done an incredible job with this team under adverse conditions and I feel that he truly deserves to be officially named the team's head coach.

And honestly, Rooney Rule be damned, it would truly be criominal for the Cowboys to have to go through the sham of interviewing a minority when they have the man they want for the job.

Would the Viking have to do the same with regard to Leslie Frazier? No, they wouldn't. And if the Cowboys had to, it would be the same discirimination that we're trying to finally be rid of.

Jason Garrett has changed the entire culture of this organization within a few weeks' time.

With an underperforming offensive line, a backup QB (who make no mistake is playing well), and a defense left in shambles.

He's this close to being 4-0 in that span.

The turnaround has been truly epic and I agree with what Howie Long said on Sunday. The Cowwboys under Jason Garrett are a team that nobody wants to play right now.

Despite my earlier criticisms, I have been completely wrong about Garrett being the head coach.

And I am oh so happy to admit it.

But I have 'seen the light' and now enthusiastically support the man getting the job on a full-time basis.

I eagerly await seeing what he can accomplish with a full offseason to put his coaches and his players in place.

Time to remove the 'interim' tag and let the man run full throttle!

I am in the same boat as you. It is very difficult for "big time" coaches to keep the team fighting when they are out of the playoffs. I am impressed with Garret and I wasn't with his offense before he was HC

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
I've seen enough to be convinced that he deserves a shot as well.

Have to give it to him.. some guys are just better head coaches than coordinators, and Garrett is clearly one of those guys. He knows how to motivate and lead.. and im very happy with the progress that he and his staff and our players have all made together.

Its exciting to watch Cowboys football again.

:bow:

Nirvana

Reaction score
AbeBeta;3733878 said:
The Rooney Rule provides an outstanding opportunity for Jerry to pick the brains of up and coming candidates and possibly guys who will be available for assistant positions at some point. Given how much Jerry likes being involved in hires of that nature, he likely recognizes the benefits of following the correct procedures and not making a mockery of it with a BS interview.

Interviewing ANYONE for a job when you know you are going to hire someone else makes it a BS interview. Jerry feels the same way and is why he asked the rule to be waived. It's actually the most fair thing one could do in this situation. The amount of preparation these guys have to do for an interview (film study, etc.) when the boss already has figured out the guy for the job makes it a waste of time for all concerned. Frankly I'm not a fan of the rule to begin with, but in this situation even more so.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Nirvana;3734113 said:
Interviewing ANYONE for a job when you know you are going to hire someone else makes it a BS interview. Jerry feels the same way and is why he asked the rule to be waived. It's actually the most fair thing one could do in this situation. The amount of preparation these guys have to do for an interview (film study, etc.) when the boss already has figured out the guy for the job makes it a waste of time for all concerned. Frankly I'm not a fan of the rule to begin with, but in this situation even more so.

No, it isn't a BS interview. So long as Jerry takes it seriously, he provides essential experience for the interviewee.

Your fundamental misunderstanding is the idea that an interview that produces a very low chance of getting that specific job is a waste of time - there are obvious benefits from the process, even if hiring is highly unlikely - you just refuse to see them. Of course, you might just be sore about that interview you had at Burger King where the manager's 18 year old kid ended up getting the job.

Nirvana

Reaction score
AbeBeta;3734139 said:
No, it isn't a BS interview. So long as Jerry takes it seriously, he provides essential experience for the interviewee.

Your fundamental misunderstanding is the idea that an interview that produces a very low chance of getting that specific job is a waste of time - there are obvious benefits from the process, even if hiring is highly unlikely - you just refuse to see them. Of course, you might just be sore about that interview you had at Burger King where the manager's 18 year old kid ended up getting the job.

Lay off the insults that isn't even called for - I have an opinion and you have yours. You call the hiring "highly unlikely" but the truth is that it isn't happening no matter what in this situation. That makes it BS. While the fact somebody got interviewed for the Dallas Cowboys Head Coach position might provide dividends for their resume, my point is that it's a charade.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nirvana;3734162 said:
Lay off the insults that isn't even called for - I have an opinion and you have yours. You call the hiring "highly unlikely" but the truth is that it isn't happening no matter what in this situation. That makes it BS. While the fact somebody got interviewed for the Dallas Cowboys Head Coach position might provide dividends for their resume, my point is that it's a charade.

Pay no mind to the 'Merovingian' there.

Some people need this place to feel better about themselves, like they're somehow smarter than they truly are. I guess this forum complensates for things they don't get in the real world.

Any alleged interview further shows that the "Rooney Rule" is the same affirmative action mistake that has been made in the past.

The Vikings can name Leslie Frazier as head coach without talking to another candidate, while the Cowboys would be required to go through a 'sham' interview process knowing they already have the guy they want. They would be upsetting minorities candidates, many of whom wouldn't even agree to an interview for a job they know they have no chance of getting, and making a mockery of a now-oudated and embarrassing 'rule'.

Two wrongs not making a right.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Nirvana;3734162 said:

Could you continue to miss the point?

An interview has value to both the interviewee and the owner/GM - regardless of the outcome. You can call it a "sham" but the fact is that you don't get many shots in this league to interview - having a chance to interview with one of the best owners in the NFL is a huge opportunity and a major boost.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
stasheroo;3734188 said:
Pay no mind to the 'Merovingian' there.

Some people need this place to feel better about themselves, like they're somehow smarter than they truly are. I guess this forum complensates for things they don't get in the real world.

Any alleged interview further shows that the "Rooney Rule" is the same affirmative action mistake that has been made in the past.

The Vikings can name Leslie Frazier as head coach without talking to another candidate, while the Cowboys would be required to go through a 'sham' interview process knowing they already have the guy they want. They would be upsetting minorities candidates, many of whom wouldn't even agree to an interview for a job they know they have no chance of getting, and making a mockery of a now-oudated and embarrassing 'rule'.

It is cute when people think they know what Affirmative Action is but actually have no clue.

The Rooney Rule is a form of affirmative action -- it is the affirmative act that the NFL took based on their own analyses that determined that it was clear that their hiring practices systematically discriminated against minority applicants. The pool of qualified minority applicants was way out of whack with hiring. Required interviews of minority applicants is one of the strongest forms of affirmative action that you will ever see.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
AbeBeta;3734235 said:
It is cute when people think they know what Affirmative Action is but actually have no clue.

The Rooney Rule is a form of affirmative action -- it is the affirmative act that the NFL took based on their own analyses that determined that it was clear that their hiring practices systematically discriminated against minority applicants. The pool of qualified minority applicants was way out of whack with hiring. Required interviews of minority applicants is one of the strongest forms of affirmative action that you will ever see.

And the 'rule' is now an embarrassing joke, whereas white candidates are now the party discrimated against.