GM says goodbye to a popular model after 57 years

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Dodge is killing off the Charger/Challenger as well. Ford is killing off the Mustang by 2028. It's just where the automotive industry is right now with the push to EV models. They all had their fun by pushing out these 500-1000hp cars, got it out of their systems as the CAFE standards increase, and now the focus is on electric.

I know some people hate that, but it's coming.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Dodge is killing off the Charger/Challenger as well. Ford is killing off the Mustang by 2028. It's just where the automotive industry is right now with the push to EV models. They all had their fun by pushing out these 500-1000hp cars, got it out of their systems as the CAFE standards increase, and now the focus is on electric.

I need to hurry up and save enough money for a new Stingray!
:laugh:

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score

:thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown: This ^^ started in the 70s. ~They~ need to butt out.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I need to hurry up and save enough money for a new Stingray!
:laugh:
You and me both. I LOVE those. So, story time:

I rented a new Corvette C8 Stingray this summer on Turo. Rented it for the entire weekend. The wife and I made a Saturday trip up through the mountains up to McCall, Idaho for lunch and back with it. It was an amazing time and so was the car. It was everything I thought it would be. It was comfortable, fast, and it handled beautifully. I instantly fell in love.

The best part about it was my dad though. I swung by to show him the car on Friday night. My dad grew up in the 70s and the muscle car era. He had a 71 Chevelle SS that he kicks himself to this day for ever selling. He loves cars even though he hasn't had a fun car in many decades, so he was ecstatic to see a new C8 up close. I took him out and gave him a fun ride in it. I hadn't seen my dad smile that hard from ear to ear in a long time. He was like a little excited kid again. Made the entire rental worth it for me.

Anyway, I want one. It's in my future plans. May have to sell the wife and dogs, but we'll get there. haha

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wow, the Camaro's not selling? I bet it would do better if they threw back to an older model.
EV’S aren’t really selling either. About 9% of new car sales are EV and dealers are reportedly not wanting any more on their lots because they are just sitting there. EV’S aren’t going away, but they are also not “getting here” overnight either. In the meantime, I’ll just enjoy my 55 Chevy BelAir til I drop…… ;)

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

I rented a new Corvette C8 Stingray this summer on Turo. Rented it for the entire weekend. The wife and I made a Saturday trip up through the mountains up to McCall, Idaho for lunch and back with it. It was an amazing time and so was the car. It was everything I thought it would be. It was comfortable, fast, and it handled beautifully. I instantly fell in love.

The best part about it was my dad though. I swung by to show him the car on Friday night. My dad grew up in the 70s and the muscle car era. He had a 71 Chevelle SS that he kicks himself to this day for ever selling. He loves cars even though he hasn't had a fun car in many decades, so he was ecstatic to see a new C8 up close. I took him out and gave him a fun ride in it. I hadn't seen my dad smile that hard from ear to ear in a long time. He was like a little excited kid again. Made the entire rental worth it for me.

Anyway, I want one. It's in my future plans. May have to sell the wife and dogs, but we'll get there. haha

That's a great story! I learned to drive stick in brand new '79 Vette when I was 15, and I've been in love with them ever since. The one in your picks is very hot! I've never driven one of the new Stingrays, but I can only imagine how they handle. Must be like an extension of your own body.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
EV’S aren’t really selling either. About 9% of new car sales are EV and dealers are reportedly not wanting any more on their lots because they are just sitting there. EV’S aren’t going away, but they are also not “getting here” overnight either. In the meantime, I’ll just enjoy my 55 Chevy BelAir til I drop…… ;)
'55, nice!

Part of the reason any cars aren't selling is the ridiculous prices. Who can afford to pay for another quarter of a house that you'll only have for maybe 10 years?

DanteEXT

Reaction score
"The decision to end the production of the Camaro, Brad Franz, director of Chevrolet car and crossover marketing, told the Detroit News, was the result of an evaluation of the company's "portfolio offerings for progress toward our EV future and sales demand."

I wonder if no one is buying the Camaro? Personally, I think it's ugly. Not a big car guy, but if I were going to own a Camaro, it'd be one as they used in the movie Better Off Dead.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
"The decision to end the production of the Camaro, Brad Franz, director of Chevrolet car and crossover marketing, told the Detroit News, was the result of an evaluation of the company's "portfolio offerings for progress toward our EV future and sales demand."

I wonder if no one is buying the Camaro? Personally, I think it's ugly. Not a big car guy, but if I were going to own a Camaro, it'd be one as they used in the movie Better Off Dead.
I like Camaros, but I've heard the throwbacks have bad visibility, especially out the back windshield. I don't know what the quality of the rest is, but I don't see many on the road.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
There was a recent article in the Economist (I think) that reported that the initial surge in EV's was driven by the "first adapter" crowd.

After that group, sales flattened and are generally falling in many markets. It is not so much related to the quality of the EV's as it is the initial costs and realization that the national infrastructure is not in place to support America's love of the open road.

1942willys

Reaction score
There was a recent article in the Economist (I think) that reported that the initial surge in EV's was driven by the "first adapter" crowd.

After that group, sales flattened and are generally falling in many markets. It is not so much related to the quality of the EV's as it is the initial costs and realization that the national infrastructure is not in place to support America's love of the open road.
Pretty much the way I see it as well. I live out in the boondocks and they put in two charging stations near city hall. Funded by the Feds of course. I have NEVER in two years seen a vehicle charging there and I go by it at least once a day.
Despite advances in both battery and electric motor tech, they are too limited for anyone but suburban or city driving.
Their cost and frankly a lot of doubt about safety and other problems have pretty much kept them niche.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Similar story, but different outcome.

I always wanted a muscle car but never owned one. Finally decided to rent a 'Vette for a weekend trip and, although it was fun to drive, it just wasn't for me.

I am very much at home with my gas-guzzling 4WD pickup.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score

Those first generation Camaros are nice, good luck finding one though. They are usually restored and going for $35.40,000 or sitting neglected in a junkyard for $4,000

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Similar story, but different outcome.

I always wanted a muscle car but never owned one. Finally decided to rent a 'Vette for a weekend trip and, although it was fun to drive, it just wasn't for me.

I am very much at home with my gas-guzzling 4WD pickup.
I've always been a car guy deep down, have had a few in my day, but I get where you're coming from. I have a truck now and I couldn't imagine life without one, especially since I have things that need towed. Once the truck is paid off here in just a couple years though, it's midlife crisis and Corvette shopping time. Best of both worlds. :grin: