GM says goodbye to a popular model after 57 years

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Pretty much the way I see it as well. I live out in the boondocks and they put in two charging stations near city hall. Funded by the Feds of course. I have NEVER in two years seen a vehicle charging there and I go by it at least once a day.
Despite advances in both battery and electric motor tech, they are too limited for anyone but suburban or city driving.
Their cost and frankly a lot of doubt about safety and other problems have pretty much kept them niche.
I could definitely see the desire being driven geographically. For small towns across America, yeah, it probably doesn't make much sense. For city dwellers, it's probably a lot easier to own an electric platform. I can tell you that Tesla cars are everywhere in Boise. Now I'm seeing a ton of the Kia/Hyundai electric cars popping up.

rags747

Reaction score
The current generation Camaro is hands down the best all around muscle car, this includes the Mustang and the Challenger. Why? Because it utilizes the Alpha platform which was developed for the Cadillac ATS which has been recognized widely to be best in class. The handling with this chassis is pretty phenominal and night and day vs the Challenger and Mustang. I have a couple of cars that are very much sunshine only cars, I’m kinda of getting tired of that so I have played around of picking up an SS convertible that I could have fun with even in the rain as I do enjoy driving in the rain believe it or not! SS vert is around $55-58k.

EV, in my mind the only EV to buy is Tesla. Ford and GM are all built pretty much from existing technology, Tesla was new from the ground up. If you search out engineering studies you will see that Tesla has much fewer parts. The other huge plus is that Musk built out the Super Charger network from the get go, GM and Ford have to use the existing network of chargers that are pretty bad. Ford is cutting back 50% on their EV production as their products are not selling, GM volumes are pretty much in the tank too. Hyundai is doing a very nice job btw with EV. That’s my 2 cents…

rags747

Reaction score
I've always been a car guy deep down, have had a few in my day, but I get where you're coming from. I have a truck now and I couldn't imagine life without one, especially since I have things that need towed. Once the truck is paid off here in just a couple years though, it's midlife crisis and Corvette shopping time. Best of both worlds. :grin:
And then you could get really crazy and go for the Z06, but that’s probably another $50k minimum And right now they are going for a lot more Than that. Prices should start to come down on the base models in maybe 2-3 years. Find a nice used one with 5-7k miles for hopefully a nice discount!

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
I could definitely see the desire being driven geographically. For small towns across America, yeah, it probably doesn't make much sense. For city dwellers, it's probably a lot easier to own an electric platform. I can tell you that Tesla cars are everywhere in Boise. Now I'm seeing a ton of the Kia/Hyundai electric cars popping up.
Seems like every time someone is in my way on the road they are driving a kia:lmao:

lukin2006

Reaction score
EVs are going nowhere. Toyota is not all that interested in them. And Toyota is likely the best car company in the world, and Honda is very Luke warm to EVs and they are likely the 2nd best car company…

rags747

Reaction score
EVs are going nowhere. Toyota is not all that interested in them. And Toyota is likely the best car company in the world, and Honda is very Luke warm to EVs and they are likely the 2nd best car company…
And yet they are both two of the most Boring car companies as well.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Dodge is killing off the Charger/Challenger as well. Ford is killing off the Mustang by 2028. It's just where the automotive industry is right now with the push to EV models. They all had their fun by pushing out these 500-1000hp cars, got it out of their systems as the CAFE standards increase, and now the focus is on electric.

I know some people hate that, but it's coming.
The technology isn't ready. It will be a disaster.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
The technology isn't ready. It will be a disaster.
We're definitely in the infancy of the technology, but like any other tech, it will evolve. Shall be interesting though. I know Toyota has been working on and promoting hydrogen cars, so there is that too.

rags747

Reaction score
So what? For the VAST MAJORITY of drivers boring and dependable is better than flashy and unreliable
Personally I find that rather sad, but I do agree with you that the vast majority of drivers only see the automobile as an A to B type device. I am very happy that I am not that person!

quickccc

Reaction score
When i saw the title post description, I thought " GM " must mean " General manager " ....and I didn't know
where this was going .. :muttley:

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Would have thought the Transformers movie alone would have given new life to the Camaro with popularity of Bumblebee.

fully-customized-2016-Chevy-Camaro-768x576.webp

1942willys

Reaction score
Personally I find that rather sad, but I do agree with you that the vast majority of drivers only see the automobile as an A to B type device. I am very happy that I am not that person!
So if you have lots of money to burn fine
but you seem top think all those that are not rich do not matter or should be made to feel guilty because they cannot AFFORD a flashy car

rags747

Reaction score
So if you have lots of money to burn fine
but you seem top think all those that are not rich do not matter or should be made to feel guilty because they cannot AFFORD a flashy car
Being a car enthusiast or car lover has Absolutely zero to do with money. When I was 16 my father offered me new cars, I picked a 67 GTO for $1k, after that a 67 442 for $1k, after that a 70 GTX for $2.6k. You obviously are an A to B dude and that’s fine, but don’t make it about money as that is a complete falsehood.