Go Cowboys! Let's win some playoff games

CCBoy

Reaction score
Don't ignore the facts presented here. Jimmy got no other team to the standard the Cowboys were during the years that he was Dallas. Nor have many others more recently.

Fact is it took both Jerry Jones and Jimmy Johnson, both. Not just Jimmy Johnson. The two of them worked the success level until Jimmy was fired for non-team reasons. I'm not going to negotiate a court action to determine who was in fact responsible for their seperation.

Now, as is being ignored, the difference between when Jimmy Johnson was in Dallas and when he was in Miami, was the roster.

If one has taken a monotone approach, he has done little more but blame all failures upon Jerry. The point is that Jerry moved mountains to get Jimmy all the talent needed to travel the path and strength to win a Super Bowl.

Murchison ran out of money trying to do the same with Landry and finally had to sell the team. That had nothing to do with blaming all upon Jerry Jones. Spending the necessary money flow killed the Murchison ownership even with his Father being one of the very richest in the financial community in the US.

Landry, and Murchison were a great pairing as long as the money held out. This is the functional element not given credit in looking back. Landry was a strong coach. He demanded discipline and developed techniques to excell in the NFL. Money and his management carried his teams.

The difference between Jimmy and today's Mike McCarthy is that today's players are spoiled as to their values in a cap era along with the limited cap flexability in today's NFL. Not having a cap allowed build up of the rosters to the Johnson two Super Bowls.

Jimmy could replace a large number of drafted players with the Herchel Walker surplus of draft picks and trades of that number. That and paying for specific players who were free agents. Hey, Jimmy forged the way and with cast offs from other teams and unknowns in the draft. That was the seperator. But that took both as Jerry was moving mountains for the team to even survive those formative years. But then, the cap and team equalizers entered the picture.

After Parcells, Stephen realized that in cap management, that the Cowboys could no longer pay free agents to build with, just as did Washington. Stephen held the line and Jerry then built up a top shelf Scouting Group to build continuity in the draft. This gave Dallas a strong ability to conduct and gain an influx of NFL strengths and dependability to fill out rosters with good players.

The Cowboys are good at doing just that now. They have two players in contention for Offensive Players of the Year: Lamb and Prescott. They also have two players in contention for Defensive Players of the Year: Parsons and Bland.

The team also had 9 Pro Bowlers.

The team will have a pair of IR's that are good to strong players returning this next season. There also should be enough flex to correct the status of the offensive line, defensive line, and linebackers. The free agency could be addressed for a running back of value..

This leaves the picture today, of McCarthy leading his team and it could also be a stronger team yet for next season. This is football, that is maximizing momentum and thus rhythm.

The excuse of 30 years isn't a picture of the path traveled. It is an excuse to name, blame, and grab upon a whipping boy excuse to excuse a fan's own and personalized disappointments. That, although is not a snapshot for actual functions nor
potentials for real success.

Where is Cleveland? Where are the Steelers? Where is New England? Why has it taken Detroit to now to even make a NFC Championship Game? How come Buffalo doesn't have a Super Bowl? What happened to Cincinnati? All the way around ... drafts, injury, cap management and equality in talent levels all affect today's game and when a single game is played in the playoffs, a lot of things in a one match-up can affect a team and a single game. Momentum and resulting rhythm is what wins and loses in the playoffs.

Over the past 10 seasons, the team has 6 seasons with 10 or more wins in those seasons. That is NOT walking blindly.

The Dallas Cowboys are fully into winning and are walking the path to honestly win. The team is loved by it's players and that has never changed. Both owners upheld the principals to be respected by fans as well. The current Cowboys experienced the changes that progressed through the changes in sport. It has received a lot of NFL bias since the very beginning. Two honest owners struggled to succeed despite having to overcome all in their path. That I still respect and am glad to say I respect that foundation ethics.

I'm not ashamed to say at least, thank you Jerry. I'll watch and not blame on the level of just winning it all. I'll at least acknowledge that the team is at the level of play off competitor and hope direction of team will still continue making progress in it's own pathway and successes.

I at least won't stigmatize my Dallas Cowboys by saying they don't deserve my respect. Sorry, I'm also loyal.

I'm not missing facts or narrow in view as well. I note deficiencies and strengths. I also give a more current view on an achievement window.

I won't go through the Hatfield and McCoy measures in disagreement. I believe in athletic abilities as well as gained knowledge of a man in the business. I don't believe that insult is the path to satisfaction. Critical? That is part, but insult is simply wrong.

rambo2

Reaction score
The game is so different now. The players have money now and the ownership gets as much out of them as possible before their bodies break down. The league has made it where the Super Bowl is up for grabs every year. Will the Lions finally win this year? Will the 49ers or Ravens finally win again or will the Chiefs sneak in the back door again?

I predict that a key injury will knock out at least 1 of the 4 teams, if not this week, in the Super Bowl itself.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
If they could sign up in a rec league, I think we could win some playoff games.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Don't ignore the facts presented here. Jimmy got no other team to the standard the Cowboys were during the years that he was Dallas. Nor have many others more recently.
Right off the bat you ignore that Jimmy won the NCAA championship with the Miami Hurricanes. The first coach in history to win both the NCAA title and the Super Bowl.

This is like the 50th time I've had to remind a person on this forum trying to downplay Jimmy Johnson for whatever stupid agenda.

fivetwos

Reaction score

Fact is it took both Jerry Jones and Jimmy Johnson, both. Not just Jimmy Johnson. The two of them worked the success level until Jimmy was fired for non-team reasons. I'm not going to negotiate a court action to determine who was in fact responsible for their seperation.

Now, as is being ignored, the difference between when Jimmy Johnson was in Dallas and when he was in Miami, was the roster.

If one has taken a monotone approach, he has done little more but blame all failures upon Jerry. The point is that Jerry moved mountains to get Jimmy all the talent needed to travel the path and strength to win a Super Bowl.

Murchison ran out of money trying to do the same with Landry and finally had to sell the team. That had nothing to do with blaming all upon Jerry Jones. Spending the necessary money flow killed the Murchison ownership even with his Father being one of the very richest in the financial community in the US.

Landry, and Murchison were a great pairing as long as the money held out. This is the functional element not given credit in looking back. Landry was a strong coach. He demanded discipline and developed techniques to excell in the NFL. Money and his management carried his teams.

The difference between Jimmy and today's Mike McCarthy is that today's players are spoiled as to their values in a cap era along with the limited cap flexability in today's NFL. Not having a cap allowed build up of the rosters to the Johnson two Super Bowls.

Jimmy could replace a large number of drafted players with the Herchel Walker surplus of draft picks and trades of that number. That and paying for specific players who were free agents. Hey, Jimmy forged the way and with cast offs from other teams and unknowns in the draft. That was the seperator. But that took both as Jerry was moving mountains for the team to even survive those formative years. But then, the cap and team equalizers entered the picture.

After Parcells, Stephen realized that in cap management, that the Cowboys could no longer pay free agents to build with, just as did Washington. Stephen held the line and Jerry then built up a top shelf Scouting Group to build continuity in the draft. This gave Dallas a strong ability to conduct and gain an influx of NFL strengths and dependability to fill out rosters with good players.

The Cowboys are good at doing just that now. They have two players in contention for Offensive Players of the Year: Lamb and Prescott. They also have two players in contention for Defensive Players of the Year: Parsons and Bland.

The team will have a pair of IR's that are good to strong players returning this next season. There also should be enough flex to correct the status of the offensive line, defensive line, and linebackers. The free agency could be addressed for a running back of value..

This leaves the picture today, of McCarthy leading his team and it could also be a stronger team yet for next season. This is football, that is maximizing momentum and thus rhythm.

The excuse of 30 years isn't a picture of the path traveled. It is an excuse to name, blame, and grab upon a whipping boy excuse to excuse a fan's own and personalized disappointments. That, although is not a snapshot for actual functions nor

Where is Cleveland? Where are the Steelers? Where is New England? Why has it taken Detroit to now to even make a NFC Championship Game? How come Buffalo doesn't have a Super Bowl? What happened to Cincinnati? All the way around ... drafts, injury, cap management and equality in talent levels all affect today's game and when a single game is played in the playoffs, a lot of things in a one match-up can affect a team and a single game. Momentum and resulting rhythm is what wins and loses in the playoffs.

Over the past 10 seasons, the team has 6 seasons with 10 or more wins in those seasons. That is NOT walking blindly.

The Dallas Cowboys are fully into winning and are walking the path to honestly win. The team is loved by it's players and that has never changed. Both owners upheld the principals to be respected by fans as well. The current Cowboys experienced the changes that progressed through the changes in sport. It has received a lot of NFL bias since the very beginning. Two honest owners struggled to succeed despite having to overcome all in their path. That I still respect and am glad to say I respect that foundation ethics.

I'm not ashamed to say at least, thank you Jerry. I'll watch and not blame on the level of just winning it all. I'll at least acknowledge that the team is at the level of play off competitor and hope direction of team will still continue making progress in it's own pathway and successes.

I at least won't stigmatize my Dallas Cowboys by saying they don't deserve my respect. Sorry, I'm also loyal.

I'm not missing facts or narrow in view as well. I note deficiencies and strengths. I also give a more current view on an achievement window.

I won't go through the Hatfield and McCoy measures in disagreement. I believe in athletic abilities as well as gained knowledge of a man in the business. I don't believe that insult is the path to satisfaction. Critical? That is part, but insult is simply wrong.
I don’t begrudge you the rah rah schtick.

Don’t really care, but this is at least the second time you’ve insinuated Jimmy Johnson didn’t build a good roster in Miami.

I lived in SFla at the time and was close to the situation. He didn’t get a QB because he was stuck with Marino, but he left Wannstedt with a playoff roster despite Jay Feely at QB.

Off the top of my head, guys like Taylor, Thomas, Madison and Surtain were drafted by Johnson. Care to look at Jerry’s drafts during that period when he ran the team into the toilet?

While I respect that you are satisfied that your team repeatedly chokes and loses because other teams have been worse, not everyone else feels that way. Seems as if it’s your mission to convince the rest of us to.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Right off the bat you ignore that Jimmy won the NCAA championship with the Miami Hurricanes. The first coach in history to win both the NCAA title and the Super Bowl.

This is like the 50th time I've had to remind a person on this forum trying to downplay Jimmy Johnson for whatever stupid agenda.
'Smart guy, you did know that Barry Switzer won both as well and had a higher winning percentage in both as well, right?

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I respect your opinion. It was a fair synopsis of Dallas' GMs (two) and and notable SB coaches (two.) Shakespeare would have congratulated your loyalty. I do appreciate the recent successes and there is something to be said for the quality of drafting. There is, however, a lack of accountability. And, "let them eat cake," is not a sufficient answer.

edited

J_Allen

Reaction score
Jimmy would have been in the Super Bowl in Miami if Cecil Collins had never broken his leg. The only thing that team was missing was a running game.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Jerry wants to win more than any of us. The more they win, the more $$ he makes. But not just that, he's a Cowboys fan first and is super competitive. I do wish he would officially name McClay the GM and whenever they need to hire a new HC, I hope it's a super tough one.