White and Nerdy
Reaction score
2-0 so far....and looking good.

Keep it up Silver and Black.

Reaction score
Biggems;4340396 said:
2-0 so far....and looking good.

Keep it up Silver and Black.

Yes they look good so far, but let's not forget they got off to a historically good start last season and crumbled down the stretch and got upset in the 1st round. The West is wide open this year there's like 5 teams who have a legit shot at making the Finals. The Spurs are one of them. The other 4 teams IMO are the Thunder, Mavs, Lakers, and Grizzlies.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Martin, Lowry lead Rockets over Spurs 105-85

HOUSTON (AP) -- Kyle Lowry didn't mind coming up just short of a triple-double in the Houston Rockets ' home opener.

With a challenging early season schedule, the Houston point guard is more interested in victories than statistics.

Lowry had 16 points, nine rebounds and eight assists, Kevin Martin scored 25 points and the Rockets beat the San Antonio Spurs 105-85 on Thursday night.

Houston was playing the first of three games on consecutive nights, and Lowry sat out the fourth quarter, even though he was flirting with his second career triple-double.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/ba.../31431_recap.html?sct=nba_t2_a7#ixzz1i27Pezxj

SA_Gunslinger

Official CZ Ea-girls hater
Reaction score
I think last night proved that this season is going to be very hard for the Spurs to be successful. Back to back's have always been hard on this team, even at their peak. Back to back to backs? I shudder to think what will happen with those. This team is just not built to win on short rest.

Still, the youth movement seems to be a bit more exciting than I was expecting, so this team definitely still has a pulse. Leonard, Anderson, and even the improvement of Splitter can go a long way, plus Joseph is still out there too (although, judging by the first few games, his PT will not be large this season). And if Richard Jefferson actually shows up (like he did in games 1 and 2) then this team really has a much bigger ceiling than many think. That's a big IF though, based on his Spurs career thus far.

Coaching is going to be a MAJOR factor this season, and in Pop's case especially, managing minutes is going to be a priority.

:starspin

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
The Spurs really need another big man to get through the regular season. They only have four bigs on the roster right now. I've been very encouraged by the play of Blair and Splitter so far.

SA_Gunslinger

Reaction score
Another great win for the silver and black last night. It has been feast or famine thus far this season. 3-0 at home is very encouraging.

:D

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
The Houston loss is not that big a deal for me. They always seem to have a hard time in Houston, especially during the TMac and Scola years. Also, there was a bit of team pressure to get win #800 for Pop. They got beat down by the Rockets, but rebounded to beat the Jazz.

BTW, the Jazz will be rueing the decision to let Sloan walk away for a long time. Their defense was pathetic....definitely nothing like it was under Sloan. They were never really known as a great defensive team, but at least they played sound, disciplined basketball. I didn't see that from them last night.

So the Spurs are 3-1 and in first place in the division. I like what I see from them so far. I missed the Houston game because I was at the Alamo Bowl watching Baylor and Washington go video game on the football field. They are 3-0 in the games I have watched. What excites me is the team is playing well overall, and they will be getting a boost very soon when Neal returns.

I would like to see them add another big, but from where, I have no idea. I wonder if Keith Benson is still available. I know he is raw, but he is young, long, athletic, and a very good shot blocker.

GO SPURS GO

Cythim

Benched
Reaction score
Ginobili and Duncan played less than 20 minutes against Houston and the Rockets managed to shoot over 50%. The stars are going to have to take minutes off thanks to the schedule and teams like Houston will be able to take advantage of it. The playoff race should be tight this year but San Antonio shouldn't be worried about one loss to the Rockets when Ginobili and Duncan took most of the night off.

MC KAos

Reaction score
Cythim;4346324 said:
Ginobili and Duncan played less than 20 minutes against Houston and the Rockets managed to shoot over 50%. The stars are going to have to take minutes off thanks to the schedule and teams like Houston will be able to take advantage of it. The playoff race should be tight this year but San Antonio shouldn't be worried about one loss to the Rockets when Ginobili and Duncan took most of the night off.

ya, i think if the spurs have any big comeback wins this year, it will be entirely up to the bench to produce them. Pop isnt going to risk his oldies on that crap, we get down by more than 10 or 15 in the second half, he is waiving the flag and getting ready for the next one

SA_Gunslinger

Reaction score
Cythim;4346324 said:

Agree.....just don't discount the fact that they sat b/c the game was already out of reach. They got their butt kicked that night.

SA_Gunslinger

Reaction score
Not only is Minny crushing us by 17 (and you guys thought Houston was a enigma....ha!) ....but Manu Ginobili broke his left hand (shooting hand) tonight.

Devastating news for the silver and black. That may have sunk any chances they had this year.

2012 really sucks so far.

:mad:

MC KAos

Reaction score
well, ginobili seems to get 1 big injury every year, so maybe he just got it out of the way early? (trying to find the silver lining here)

like ive thought all along, this year any team that makes the playoffs in the western conference has a chance to make the finals, so as long as the spurs can stay at or around .500 while gino is out, we should be ok. Lets just hope the young guys can play well and that gary neal comes back soon.

Reaction score
SA_Gunslinger;4353842 said:
Not only is Minny crushing us by 17 (and you guys thought Houston was a enigma....ha!) ....but Manu Ginobili broke his left hand (shooting hand) tonight.

Devastating news for the silver and black. That may have sunk any chances they had this year.

2012 really sucks so far.

:mad:

They never had much of a chance anyway. Too old. Duncan is done and they don't have anyone who can carry the team. Parker and Manu are complimentary all stars, not franchise players.

MC KAos

Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4353984 said:
They never had much of a chance anyway.

sorry to break it to you, but the lakers and spurs have about the same chance if both teams are completely healthy.

Reaction score
MC KAos;4353989 said:
sorry to break it to you, but the lakers and spurs have about the same chance if both teams are completely healthy.

:lmao2:

I literally fell over laughing at that one. The Lakers have Kobe Bryant, Andrew Bynum, Pau Gasol and the Spurs don't it's really that simple. The Lakers are the superior team if healthy. If Bynum stays healthy the Lakers will be at the very minimum in the West Finals.

MC KAos

Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4354031 said:

I literally fell over laughing at that one. The Lakers have Kobe Bryant, Andrew Bynum, Pau Gasol and the Spurs don't it's really that simple. The Lakers are the superior team if healthy. If Bynum stays healthy the Lakers will be at the very minimum in the West Finals.

keep telling yourself that, i was delusional too, back in 2009

juck

Reaction score
Ginosey Flopper is done. Broken left hand.

SA_Gunslinger

Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4353984 said:
They never had much of a chance anyway. Too old. Duncan is done and they don't have anyone who can carry the team. Parker and Manu are complimentary all stars, not franchise players.

I disagree with all of this. First of all, they're not as old as even last year's team. Splitter has shown vast improvement, Leonard looks to be a player, and Anderson is healthy. Not to mention Gary Neal isn't back yet. Granted it's early, but they already blew out a Memphis team than ran all over them last post season. Not saying they are legit hard core title contenders like say Miami or OKC are, but this team, if healthy, can definitely do some playoff damage. And you are WAY wrong about Tony and Manu. Not even close.

SA_Gunslinger

Reaction score
juck;4355187 said:
Ginosey Flopper is done. Broken left hand.

Thanks for the newsflash. Never would have guessed, since you know, we watch our team play.

One title. Pfffft. You can't even sniff this thread.

:laugh2:

SA_Gunslinger

Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4354031 said:

Was this the same tune you were singing last year when they got swept out of the playoffs? Hell, at least we went down swinging.

:D