Godzilla 2014

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
2nd trailer was released. What are your thoughts and expectations for the movie? Looks like it is a serious tone unlike other Godzilla films, can';t wait.

I write screenplays for a living and I've always said there is no way I would ever write a Giant Monster movie.

It's hard to write a compelling story when you have the reality of not just the integrity of writing a good story, but also appeasing the producers who are trying to gain only one thing from a production like this: $$$$ from the teens and tweens along with the older generations that followed such a storied franchise.

This is one flick, after watching the trailers and knowing the men involved with the script (quality story-makers) that I have genuinely high hopes for.
I, like many of you have been a fan of the giant lizard for decades since childhood. From the serious renditions to the dozens of campy lozenges of hard candy we swallowed in our fandom- loved 'em all.

After that Matthew Broderick vehicle a dozen or so years ago came out- I cringed when I heard a rumor of a producer trying to recreate the magic, but I will open myself to this experience. Full Imax, 3-D, and a giant tub of popcorn with as many extra squirts of butter as I'm allowed.

Like Nolan's Batman series- I hope this film proves to be a renaissance of the Giant Monster draw to the theaters.

I believe that would be nothing but a good thing.
**and it would make those bottom-of-the-barrel producers make more terribly wonderful cheap monster movies I like to put on (on mute) on multiple screens while I'm hosting parties. Great, insane ambience.

Teren_Kanan

Reaction score
Well.. meh.

Godzilla looked fantastic. He was done well, as were the Muto monsters.

I think that's about as far as the Producers got before they decided to just build the most generic "Every disaster movie cliche ever" plotline around it.
Nothing really too bad about the story, it's just super generic, takes no risks, and is full of all the usual cliches you've seen. No real character development after the first 20 minutes or so. Movie just kind of goes from one scene to the next. A lot of scenes are unnecessary, like the kid who gets separated from his parents.. did nothing for the movie or the characters, and just gets resolved on it's own more or less.

My two biggest gripes..
Godzillas atomic blue fire of death is one of them. It STILL doesn't look as good as it did in the oldschool films. The old films.. it just looked.. super powerful, in this one it just kinda looks like blue fire and doesn't seem to do too much damage, until the last time it's used anyhow.
And my biggest gripe is the audio. It seems like every shot of the monsters they adjusted the audio so you could only hear certain things. You very rarely heard the sounds of the monsters interacting with the environment around them. Didn't often hear their footsteps etc. It kinda ruined the atmosphere of those scenes for me. It was really weird I can't even explain it.

I liked the ending, and the final monster fight was fun, though I feel there was not nearly enough of Godzilla in the movie named after him. Not nearly enough of them money shots, though the ones you get are good.

If you are an oldschool Godzilla fan, it's worth seeing in the big screen just because Godzilla and the monsters look amazing.
If you enjoy movies like Transformers you will probably REALLY like it.
If you aren't an oldschool Godzilla fan excited to see him on the big screen, and dislike Transformers/Standard Hollywood Schlock, I'd probably just catch it on TV some day.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Well.. meh.

Godzilla looked fantastic. He was done well, as were the Muto monsters.

I think that's about as far as the Producers got before they decided to just build the most generic "Every disaster movie cliche ever" plotline around it.
Nothing really too bad about the story, it's just super generic, takes no risks, and is full of all the usual cliches you've seen. No real character development after the first 20 minutes or so. Movie just kind of goes from one scene to the next. A lot of scenes are unnecessary, like the kid who gets separated from his parents.. did nothing for the movie or the characters, and just gets resolved on it's own more or less.

My two biggest gripes..
Godzillas atomic blue fire of death is one of them. It STILL doesn't look as good as it did in the oldschool films. The old films.. it just looked.. super powerful, in this one it just kinda looks like blue fire and doesn't seem to do too much damage, until the last time it's used anyhow.
And my biggest gripe is the audio. It seems like every shot of the monsters they adjusted the audio so you could only hear certain things. You very rarely heard the sounds of the monsters interacting with the environment around them. Didn't often hear their footsteps etc. It kinda ruined the atmosphere of those scenes for me. It was really weird I can't even explain it.

I liked the ending, and the final monster fight was fun, though I feel there was not nearly enough of Godzilla in the movie named after him. Not nearly enough of them money shots, though the ones you get are good.

If you are an oldschool Godzilla fan, it's worth seeing in the big screen just because Godzilla and the monsters look amazing.
If you enjoy movies like Transformers you will probably REALLY like it.
If you aren't an oldschool Godzilla fan excited to see him on the big screen, and dislike Transformers/Standard Hollywood Schlock, I'd probably just catch it on TV some day.

I can't stand Transformers, and liked Godzilla. I didn't love it, but it was an entertaining 2 hours. I think the reason I enjoyed it was because the visuals were a lot slower paced than something like Transformers.

I agree about the superfluous plot lines, but I thought the character development was pretty well done for the most part. The audio reminded me a lot of the opening scene of Star Trek (2009) and Saving Private Ryan. I think the point of doing it that way is to focus on cinematography and what is going on visually, rather than hearing stuff blow up.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Saw the IMAX 3D version.

Like the movie quite a bit.

For a monster movie I thought it was enjoyable.

Teren_Kanan

Reaction score
I can't stand Transformers, and liked Godzilla. I didn't love it, but it was an entertaining 2 hours. I think the reason I enjoyed it was because the visuals were a lot slower paced than something like Transformers.

I agree about the superfluous plot lines, but I thought the character development was pretty well done for the most part. The audio reminded me a lot of the opening scene of Star Trek (2009) and Saving Private Ryan. I think the point of doing it that way is to focus on cinematography and what is going on visually, rather than hearing stuff blow up.

Nod the visuals were fantastic. He looked REALLY good. But the rest of the movie (All the human elements) were rather bland, and left me simply wanting more monster action.

It's not a bad movies (Transformers, is a bad movie), but outside of seeing Godzilla himself, the movie didn't do much for me.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I write screenplays for a living and I've always said there is no way I would ever write a Giant Monster movie.

It's hard to write a compelling story when you have the reality of not just the integrity of writing a good story, but also appeasing the producers who are trying to gain only one thing from a production like this: $$$$ from the teens and tweens along with the older generations that followed such a storied franchise.

This is one flick, after watching the trailers and knowing the men involved with the script (quality story-makers) that I have genuinely high hopes for.
I, like many of you have been a fan of the giant lizard for decades since childhood. From the serious renditions to the dozens of campy lozenges of hard candy we swallowed in our fandom- loved 'em all.

After that Matthew Broderick vehicle a dozen or so years ago came out- I cringed when I heard a rumor of a producer trying to recreate the magic, but I will open myself to this experience. Full Imax, 3-D, and a giant tub of popcorn with as many extra squirts of butter as I'm allowed.

Like Nolan's Batman series- I hope this film proves to be a renaissance of the Giant Monster draw to the theaters.

I believe that would be nothing but a good thing.
**and it would make those bottom-of-the-barrel producers make more terribly wonderful cheap monster movies I like to put on (on mute) on multiple screens while I'm hosting parties. Great, insane ambience.

What an insightful and interesting post. Delightful! 5 stars.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Didn't the Japanese complain that his head was too small and his body was fat? Like a lot of Americans lol

TheCowboy

Reaction score
I saw it, it was just OK. Nothing spectacular at all and almost seemed low budget. We actually saw it in 3d only because I had a gift card to the movie theater that covered the 3D price as well. There was absolutely no need for this movie to be in 3D lol. I'd give it a 7/10. Ending was good.

joseephuss

Reaction score
I saw it, it was just OK. Nothing spectacular at all and almost seemed low budget. We actually saw it in 3d only because I had a gift card to the movie theater that covered the 3D price as well. There was absolutely no need for this movie to be in 3D lol. I'd give it a 7/10. Ending was good.

It didn't seem low budget to me. They didn't go overboard with any CGI, which I think was a good thing. In a movie like this they can easily just go all out and really overdo the special effects. They reigned it in for this movie and I really appreciated that aspect. It was not a great story, but it wasn't bad, either. It was a good movie for the most part, but then again I wasn't expecting a once in a generation movie. It was tons better than the 1998 version.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
I'll watch any Godzilla because I love the big guy.

One of the movie channels had 3 or 4 of the really cheesy Japanese Godzilla movies showing this weekend.

You know the ones with the giant moth & the metal Godzilla. Cheesy movie greatness right there.

TheCowboy

Reaction score
It didn't seem low budget to me. They didn't go overboard with any CGI, which I think was a good thing. In a movie like this they can easily just go all out and really overdo the special effects. They reigned it in for this movie and I really appreciated that aspect. It was not a great story, but it wasn't bad, either. It was a good movie for the most part, but then again I wasn't expecting a once in a generation movie. It was tons better than the 1998 version.

Do you agree the acting wasnt too good?

joseephuss

Reaction score
I don't think the main actor was very good, but the rest of the cast was fine.

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'll watch any Godzilla because I love the big guy.

One of the movie channels had 3 or 4 of the really cheesy Japanese Godzilla movies showing this weekend.

You know the ones with the giant moth & the metal Godzilla. Cheesy movie greatness right there.

A lot of people loved the old Godzilla movies because they were so cheesy (I'm one of them). Would we tolerate a low-bduget cheesy Godzilla movie today? I really don't think we would. Movie technology has grown tremendously over they years. A movie like this demands top notch production values. We demand to see the flash bang awesome effects but then long for the day when Godzilla movies were little more than a guy in a rubber suit.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
A lot of people loved the old Godzilla movies because they were so cheesy (I'm one of them). Would we tolerate a low-bduget cheesy Godzilla movie today? I really don't think we would. Movie technology has grown tremendously over they years. A movie like this demands top notch production values. We demand to see the flash bang awesome effects but then long for the day when Godzilla movies were little more than a guy in a rubber suit.

I love the old Japanese monster movies. They are great & so funny.

Reactions: Ren