Godzilla 2014

Ren

Reaction score
A lot of people loved the old Godzilla movies because they were so cheesy (I'm one of them). Would we tolerate a low-bduget cheesy Godzilla movie today? I really don't think we would. Movie technology has grown tremendously over they years. A movie like this demands top notch production values. We demand to see the flash bang awesome effects but then long for the day when Godzilla movies were little more than a guy in a rubber suit.
60s and 70s cheesy probably not but something like the 90s godzilla and gamera movies cheesy i'd be more then happy with. Final wars from 04 is one of the cheesiest godzilla movies and one of my favorites because of how cheesy it is

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
60s and 70s cheesy probably not but something like the 90s godzilla and gamera movies cheesy i'd be more then happy with. Final wars from 04 is one of the cheesiest godzilla movies and one of my favorites because of how cheesy it is

I didn't care for "Final Wars".

Now the Heisei series of Godzilla films? Really enjoyed those.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
I find it funny that people complain about the acting and plotlines of a movie about gigantic monsters.

What the hell? You serious? That's like going to the Daytona 500 and complaining about the fumes.

TheCowboy

Reaction score
I find it funny that people complain about the acting and plotlines of a movie about gigantic monsters.

What the hell? You serious? That's like going to the Daytona 500 and complaining about the fumes.

I paid $14 for a ticket. Now you see why I'm complaining? I wanted more.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score

Well, he has a point. You should temper your expectations a little bit, based on what you are going to see. I didn't go into Stepbrothers expecting a Ben Kingsley performance, I expected two 40 year olds acting like they are 8, and it delivered.

I put this on the same level as Pacific Rim. Not much in the plot department, but they at least made an attempt.

joseephuss

Reaction score

But that is a complaint of the fumes coming off of the fans, not the cars.

Teren_Kanan

Reaction score

If this is the case then the movie should have had even less plotline and acting, and more gigantic monsters.

The monsters only take up 15% of the screentime. A little effort would have gone a long way, instead of just copy/pasting "Generic disaster movie script 02". I wasn't expecting academy award winning storylines, but I would have liked to care about the characters even a little bit. Bryan Cranston's character is the only person who got any sort of character development in the entire movie. Everyone else is just a character mold that does not progress in the entire movie.

The monsters still looked amazing.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just got back from watching "Godzilla".

I thought it was a good, solid, entertaining film.

If I was comparing it to all movies, with flicks like "Shawshank Redemption" and "Godfather" at say a 9.5, I'd put this around 7.5

If I'm just rating kaiju movies... The this would be a 9.5

Those whin... er... commenting about the lack of character development and plot... I would say this film had the most character development in it since the original "Godzilla". Really.

If they (writers/director) had to stuff more character development in it– it would have been a 3-hour flick. As it was the 2 hours went by pretty fast. It's not like there was a lot of dead time in the film.

BTW, went to the matinée here... $5.75 per ticket.

Lodeus

Reaction score
If I'm just rating kaiju movies... The this would be a 9.5

Those whin... er... commenting about the lack of character development and plot... I would say this film had the most character development in it since the original "Godzilla". Really.
Word.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

LOL!

There are a few things I didn't like about the film such as the main character always showing up where Hell was breaking loose... But I understand they "why" of having the main character always showing up where Hell was breaking loose.

I also didn't care for the little fight footage there was between the monsters. What we did get was very good, there just wasn't enough of it.

There wasn't any comedy in the film... I could have gone with a decent one-liner or two.

What I did like was:

The beginning, by paying homage to the original film both in discussing the US Navy's true reason for releasing H-bombs in the Pacific and by having one of the main characters named after a character in the original.

Also liked it that Japan served as a springboard for later action. It wasn't all about the US.

The way the US Navy handled Godzilla on his landing at San Francisco and Godzilla's emergence out of the Ocean seemed very realistic, meaning on if a giant monster did arrive on the US coast, it would go like it did in the movie.

Also like the end, where Godzilla was referred to as "The King of the Monsters", which was the title of the original film.

The film wasn't scary like a horror movie, but it did have some "startles" to it. It was a dark, foreboding film... much like the original. Toho must be pleased.

ctrous25

Stay Classy Philly/Minny
Reaction score
Watched it today. . I enjoyed it. ... hopefully they make another one with ghidorah in it. ... now that be sweet right? ??

Teren_Kanan

Reaction score
Watched it today. . I enjoyed it. ... hopefully they make another one with ghidorah in it. ... now that be sweet right? ??

Mecha Godzilla please =( Even though it wouldn't really fit into the newest universe.

I'm still upset that hollywood is still unable to create a Godzilla "Atomic Breath" That looks better than the originals. This breath was far too thin and fiery looking. It should fill his entire mouth when it comes out and make things disintegrate. It's atomic friggan energy.

We've certainly made Godzilla look, better, as the old movies look SO dated, but the new fire Breath doesn't have anything on this

at the 40 second mark. THAT IS HOW IT SHOULD LOOK

Ren

Reaction score

They have more or less confirmed it as a trilogy. There was a FB vote the other day on what monster people wanted to see in the sequel and there was a lot of votes for King Ghidorah

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score

I completely feel what you're saying. This is something I always place at the forefront of my objectives when I start a project.
Will people get their money's worth? I believe every writer's job should be to make a product that people want to enjoy again and again, not walk out of a theater shrugging to their mate saying "It was alright...".
Movies cost too much for "alright" anymore unless you're pirating (which I make no judgement of).

I watched Godzilla.
In 3D, Imax and I got my tub of popcorn.

It was exactly how I should have expected it to be.
I said I knew the writers and had high hopes and I did- I should have known better.

I maintain my stance stronger than ever: I will NEVER write a giant monster movie.
OK maybe the term Never should be disallowed from all vocabulary, but I'm pretty firm on this.
I could come up with a crazy, bad-*** bangin' story that's unlike anything ever seen. Something all fan-boys have been dying for yet also appreciable on a grand scale by casual movie-goers and it would be shot down by the producers trying to collect their dollahs from the t(w)eens. I call it "Writer's Burden" and it's a very true affliction that one must waltz on a razor's edge to overcome. A formidable prospect when faced.

Maybe if I ever get the kind of clout that producers would say "You can write a Care Bears Movie and I would fund it" would I consider it.
I would need full control of the story.
Maybe even an Asst.-Director position and definitely a seat in the editor's room, post-production...

Maybe then would I possibly think about attempting to consider formulating a possible, hitherto untried giant monster story that satisfies both the fans of the genre and shock the more discerning viewers into realizing this type of story can be compelling, epic, well-written and realistic in scope without worrying about compromising how much will the merchandise and the Taco Bell promos make the producers.

Ha! Will never happen...