Goff traded for Stafford

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Disagree. The Rams must now be favorites to win the NFC. They may have damaged their longer term future, but with Stafford they are a championship calliber team.
I don’t even know if I think the Rams are the best in the NFC West let alone the NFC.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
How different would the NFL history books have treated Mike Lynn if that Walker trade had finally brought them a ring?

There are two NFC teams that I see as a QB away and they both play in that division. Part of the Rams' move was to prevent SF from getting him. I'd like to know what the Niners were coming with for Stafford.
I’d like to know too because 49ers seem to value draft picks.

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
Stafford will be out of the NFL in 3 years or less. Back issues always tend to linger. Rams massively overcorrected for the massive mistakes they made signing players. They are just digging themselves a deeper hole IMO.

This is an example of a Team giving a QB 30-40mil contract.....sound good in the first year , but in year 2-3 they either have to eat the contract or make crazy trades to be competitive......QB contracts are the problem.

Rams dug a hole with the Goff contract and hopefully the Cowboys GM doesn't do the same thing with DAK as the Rams no longer wanted to be on the hook for Goff’s contract, which carries more than $43 million in fully guaranteed payments in 2021 and 2022.

csirl

Reaction score
BTW..do not rule out the Lions trading Goff before the draft. LOTS of teams need a QB right now. The Lions may have designs on a QB in round 1. Detroit is a bad team that is in rebuild mode, they need picks more than players.If I am a team like Washington, I am calling Detroit about Goff.

It would typical of the Cowboys to panic and give up 4 x 1sts for Goff - so Jerry can say he got a QB who played in a SB.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
A narrative? The team record does not lie: Dallas has not improved with Dak passing for his personal record numbers.
Yes, TEAM record, not individual players. Get real.
And the point I made that you don't understand or ignore is you conveniently left out an entire season. Because you have to.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Stafford in heaven.

• Leaving the last ranked total and scoring defense
  • Joining the 1st ranked total and scoring defense
Also big upgrades with the overall offensive lines, WR corps, and play callers
Its like magic when that happens,, certain talents put in ideal situations,, just amazing.

Rayman70

Reaction score
This is an example of a Team giving a QB 30-40mil contract.....sound good in the first year , but in year 2-3 they either have to eat the contract or make crazy trades to be competitive......QB contracts are the problem.

Rams dug a hole with the Goff contract and hopefully the Cowboys GM doesn't do the same thing with DAK as the Rams no longer wanted to be on the hook for Goff’s contract, which carries more than $43 million in fully guaranteed payments in 2021 and 2022.
YOU ARE RIGHT, WITH ONE EXCEPTION..Dak is an anomaly in comparison if you look at where he was drafted. There is much more value in us signing Dak than any of those other guys.We would be nuts to let him walk. Look how desperate teams are right now to find a guy like Dak. They are giving away the farm for guys that are near done. lol..The ONLY QB I would want is Zach Wilson if push come to shove and signing Dak was a big issue. He is the most pro ready. Otherwise, I want Dak.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Yeah nobody is taking on the Goff contract unless the Lions give them one of their firsts.

Taking on what contract? The Rams had to eat the dead money so all Detroit is left with is the following:

2021 Cap Hit $27.825M $0 Dead Money

2022 Cap Hit $25.5M $0 Dead Money

2023 Cap Hit $25M $0 Dead Money

2024 Cap Hit $26M $0 Dead Money

So what Detroit got was a former #1 overall QB whose cap hits are below market value for QB's with absolutely ZERO dead money.....oh, and they also got back a 3rd round pick in 2021, a 1st round pick in 2022 & 2023.....so I would say Detroit made out and is fully capable of now trading Goff to a QB needy team for additional draft picks without any dead money penalty against their cap.

As for Stafford, he had $19M in dead money remaining on his deal which Detroit will get hit with but based on his 2021 cap hit of $33M, Detroit actually will save $14M against the cap in 2021 by having traded Stafford.

cowboyec

Reaction score
the Lions just took that on, so why not another team? Never say never in the NFL.
goff is a california kid so maybe the 49ers or chargers.
if the lions keep him...obviously they restructure that deal.
you would think any way.
but goff may not be at his final destination yet.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Half or more of 1st round picks for QBs don't work out. And in this case you are talking picks at the bottom of round 1. Very very rare to find a franchise QB there.
The QB movement this offseason has just begun, and watch this wind storm develop.
Putting a great QB in position to win is not just about being fortunate enough to draft one,, its league wide movement is what is trending, and FOs are investing in the right QB that fits their system, and its obvious that 32 years old is not considered too old

fivetwos

Reaction score
Goff and Wentz got paid way too early was the problem.

At least Jerry played this one right. Maybe it'll cost a few dollars more but at least we know they won't need to cut him or bribe a team to take him two years down the road.

Rayman70

Reaction score
this IS the nfl and heck...I doubt this would happen...but we could even do a sign and trade with a team like the Jags sending Dak to Jville and Urban Meyer. No one has thought of that I bet. I highly doubt this will happen...but its worth watching. Meyer would be giddy to have a QB like Dak that fits his style of offense.We would have a very nice pick and a Chance at Lawrence or Wilson. Its all pie in the sky. In the end I think Dak will be here. But watch for calls to be made and rumors like this to swirl.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Doubt they will, but they could.

They could combine their own 2021 1st with the 2022 and 2023 firsts they got from the Rams to move up to the 1st pick, but I doubt Jacksonville would do it.

If they were simply able to offload Goff's salary, they should immediately begin work on a statue of the GM and an emergency early entrance into Canton.

Seriously, if they pulled that off on top of the draft haul they have taken a huge step toward rebuilding that franchise. Of course, you have to make that capital pay off but one step at a time.