Goff's workout

DFWJC

Reaction score
I am unsure why you think a mock draft means anything really, most of them are wrong regardless of who makes them accordingly.

Dane is one of the best talent evaluators because he does exhaustive tape study of prospects and actually offers the most comprehensive and in depth guide every year.

Whether or not the Rams select Wentz or Goff none of us really know at this point and the Rams are not telling yet!

Some Ram beat writers are saying they want Wentz, others are saying Goff, so it is 50/50 from our perspective.

Yes.
The Rams plan to meet with both prospects this week. Not sure they know yet either.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/04/17/rams-to-meet-with-both-jared-goff-and-carson-wentz/

All they know is that they're in a new market, have team ready to roll, but they need a QB and face of the franchise to sell tickets and hopefully also succeed.

Given that defense and Gurley running the rick and even you could step in a QB.

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
I'm telling you right now, Goff is the pick and it's not even close.

That's what I believed and posted up until yesterday. After going back over the team news, scouting reports (before the last two weeks), I am changing my mind. My random thoughts (it's not a damn debate):

- Browns have had their eyes set on Wentz the whole time and the rest of the league knew it (despite their best efforts at a smoke screen to prevent getting leap-frogged).
- Rams have Wentz much higher than Goff (as do the Eagles), and if they were going to trade up, might as well get the guy they wanted (meaning leapfrog Browns).
- Once again, the rest of the league knows the Rams are taking Wentz and that the Browns would probably rather trade back than take Goff @ #2. So Goff is for sale, but who is going to jump?
- I believe that, despite what the Cowboys are pumping about Goff, they are not trading up for him..no way. They are hoping Ramsey falls to #4. If Ramsey is not there, Goff falls and the phone doesn't ring...they may take him.
- San Francisco would most definitely take him at #7 and may even trade with Dallas for him (if they feel pressure).
- I win a million dollars.

Last edited:

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
He threw it well enough to win with the Texans.

Pain_Swallower.png

MikeT22

Reaction score
Getting a sneaky feeling we like Lynch more than we do Goff.

No evidence. Just a gut feeling.

I do too, but not necessarily at 4. I'm sure Goff is rated higher but I have feeling we think Lynch is a better fit. I could see us trading down and taking Lynch or trying to move up if he drops into the 20's of the first round. It's a gamble either way, but I don't think we'd take Goff or take Lynch at 4. I do think we'd take Wentz at 4 but I think he'll go 2nd to the Browns or someone who trades up to that spot.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
You know, I'm probably wrong on this, but part of me just feels like Jerry is trying to placate the fan base by showing interest in the QBs now that he knows they will not make it to #4. Everything that has been said, pointed towards them not taking a QB, but I just feel that when Romo goes down again...or he retires in 2-3 years and Goff/Wentz are lighting it up, he can say, we wanted them, but they weren't available.

fortdick

Reaction score
I would trade next year's 1st to move up to 2 to take him. It's better than next year's first and our entire draft this year. Our second round pick will basically be like a late 1st round pick anyway. We can get Goff and a few good players.

ExtremeSkins is missing a poster!

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
He threw it well enough to win with the Texans.

He threw it well enough to beat the Colts in a 16-10 game (he came in for relief duty btw, similar to the Philly game he "won" with us) and the Titans in a blow out. Not exactly the Falcons, Saints and Patriots

AzorAhai

Reaction score
You know, I'm probably wrong on this, but part of me just feels like Jerry is trying to placate the fan base by showing interest in the QBs now that he knows they will not make it to #4. Everything that has been said, pointed towards them not taking a QB, but I just feel that when Romo goes down again...or he retires in 2-3 years and Goff/Wentz are lighting it up, he can say, we wanted them, but they weren't available.

Except all of the polls from any Cowboys blogger/personality show the vast majority of the fan base doesn't want a QB at 4. Anytime they even bring up a QB their mentions are filled with Zeke or Ramsey and screw a QB. That isn't clear by reading the board because most of the people here actually put a lot of time and effort into the team. It's very clear on Twitter though.

Most fans are casual fans and 3 years from now does not fit into their equation. They want to win now and thats that. If he was trying to appease the majority of fans he wouldn't be doing it by talking about a QB.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Except all of the polls from any Cowboys blogger/personality show the vast majority of the fan base doesn't want a QB at 4. Anytime they even bring up a QB their mentions are filled with Zeke or Ramsey and screw a QB. That isn't clear by reading the board because most of the people here actually put a lot of time and effort into the team. It's very clear on Twitter though.

Most fans are casual fans and 3 years from now does not fit into their equation. They want to win now and thats that. If he was trying to appease the majority of fans he wouldn't be doing it by talking about a QB.

I get that the majority of fans don't want a QB, but if Goff and Wentz blow up and Romo is more or less done in 2-3 years, everyone will change their tune and pretend like we should have taken either one. Jerry showing interest now just seems like he's preparing himself for the backlash and wants to be able to blame the lack of a QB on there not being one available, when everything indicates that we weren't taking one regardless. Again, I could be wrong.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
I get that the majority of fans don't want a QB, but if Goff and Wentz blow up and Romo is more or less done in 2-3 years, everyone will change their tune and pretend like we should have taken either one. Jerry showing interest now just seems like he's preparing himself for the backlash and wants to be able to blame the lack of a QB on there not being one available, when everything indicates that we weren't taking one regardless. Again, I could be wrong.

I think the interest is genuine. At least I hope it is. Otherwise they are wasting valuable time and visits on people they have no intention of drafting which is idiotic.

Verdict

Reaction score
The word on the street is that the Browns are not taking a QB (per Sirius NFL today). I am not sure if that means that the Browns do not like either QB enough to draft them, or the Rams are taking their guy (presumably Wentz) and they don't want Goff at #2 overall. My guess is the latter.

The word on the street is also that the Browns do not expect to win this year and will have a chance at the #1 overall pick next year and may take the top QB next year. The Browns are purportedly going the moneyball route and plan to build a stud team and then add the QB in a later draft.

Moreover they are rumored to be willing to trade Joe Thomas, because they do not believe that he will still be around when the team becomes competitive again. I think that is why you saw a mass exodous of players out of Cleveland this year, including starters.

I do not personally believe that Jerry will be trading up for Goff or Wentz. If it were Andrew Luck, probably would, but not these two. I think Jerry probably knows that Wentz is the Rams pick, knows that Cleveland won't take Goff, and neither will the Chargers. That drops Goff to our pick at #4.

I think Jerry wanted to see Goff for himself, because if Goff gets down to #4 and we pass on him, and he turns out to be the next big thing he will be crucified. This trip is more about Jerry doing his due diligence to not end up with a massive amount of egg on his face.

I think Jerry would love to trade back out of this draft slot. In some ways Goff would be a blessing and a curse for Jerry. The fans will let it slide if we never had a chance at a player, but if you pass on the next Randy Moss you have that p.r. rock around your neck for the next 10 years.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I think the interest is genuine. At least I hope it is. Otherwise they are wasting valuable time and visits on people they have no intention of drafting which is idiotic.

Teams work out guys they have no intention of drafting all the time, whether they know he won't be there or they want to create a smokescreen. It could even be them doing their due diligence incase he has an Aaron Rogers like fall. I just think there is no chance they pick him at #4, mainly because I think he goes #1, possibly #2. I'd like if we picked him, but I don't think that *everything* that has been said/leaked was a smokescreen

AzorAhai

Reaction score
The word on the street is that the Browns are not taking a QB (per Sirius NFL today). I am not sure if that means that the Browns do not like either QB enough to draft them, or the Rams are taking their guy (presumably Wentz) and they don't want Goff at #2 overall. My guess is the latter.

The word on the street is also that the Browns do not expect to win this year and will have a chance at the #1 overall pick next year and may take the top QB next year. The Browns are purportedly going the moneyball route and plan to build a stud team and then add the QB in a later draft.

Moreover they are rumored to be willing to trade Joe Thomas, because they do not believe that he will still be around when the team becomes competitive again. I think that is why you saw a mass exodous of players out of Cleveland this year, including starters.

I do not personally believe that Jerry will be trading up for Goff or Wentz. If it were Andrew Luck, probably would, but not these two. I think Jerry probably knows that Wentz is the Rams pick, knows that Cleveland won't take Goff, and neither will the Chargers. That drops Goff to our pick at #4.

I think Jerry wanted to see Goff for himself, because if Goff gets down to #4 and we pass on him, and he turns out to be the next big thing he will be crucified. This trip is more about Jerry doing his due diligence to not end up with a massive amount of egg on his face.

I think Jerry would love to trade back out of this draft slot. In some ways Goff would be a blessing and a curse for Jerry. The fans will let it slide if we never had a chance at a player, but if you pass on the next Randy Moss you have that p.r. rock around your neck for the next 10 years.

Interesting stuff on the Browns. Thanks for posting.

Verdict

Reaction score
Interesting stuff on the Browns. Thanks for posting.

Sirius NFL radio has broadcasted some really great stuff over the past week. One of the most interesting things that I have heard was that Polian said that it was almost a foregone conclusion that the Cowboys would select EE.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

They have been showing in the top 3 QBs all through out the process . Wentz at the Senior Bowl. Lynch at the combine and now Goff is picking up steam. There was even some talk that they liked Goff when they sent scouts to watch Goffs bowl game ( which admitting is some theu probably do for most day 1 types). The QB interest at 4 is legit. The question is how deep it runs

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Sirius NFL radio has broadcasted some really great stuff over the past week. One of the most interesting things that I have heard was that Polian said that it was almost a foregone conclusion that the Cowboys would select EE.

Polina also said Dallas should not take a QB, which is not surprising.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Polian is, and remains an idiot.