Going all in for 2019

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Berry wants to get paid. That's obvious. He wants a team to have to assume the risk of whether he's healthy or not. And that's why he continues to be unemployed.

And unless his attitude changes, he's more likely to retire than to play.

Hard to get paid if you retire.

If he's really looking for more money, he may come to realize that ain't happening this year, and want a big stage to audition on for next year.

We're a good fit for his needs, limitations, and benefits. We want to upgrade, but aren't desperate. We'll take medical risks others won't. Jerry has his sports injury center to treat him.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hard to get paid if you retire.

If he's really looking for more money, he may come to realize that ain't happening this year, and want a big stage to audition on for next year.

We're a good fit for his needs, limitations, and benefits. We want to upgrade, but aren't desperate. We'll take medical risks others won't. Jerry has his sports injury center to treat him.

No offense, but I'll believe it when I see it. I think it's more likely the guy retires than plays, here or anywhere. But I hope for your sake he does. Here.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I wouldn't call any of those moves bad except for Galloway but only because he got hurt

The trade for RW11 was OK , the extension was horrible but TO needed some help

Davis was fair market and so was Carr

TO was a great move on the field

Can't whine about Claiborne without giving credit for DLaw

ASpencer got hurt.... it happens

Dez deserved every penny.... he went 88/1300/10 for 3 straight years and is still our All time WR TD leader

It is never wrong going for it..... you don't get Wins for extra Cap Space or being conservative

Giving away prime picks for the privilege of paying free agent money to a player is brutal even when the player delivers, like Cooper. It was a disaster with Roy for the picks, for the money, and for keeping better players off the field.

Trouble with the Dez signing was that those 3 straight years of bliss came before the signing, not after. I was against it. Tony got production out of guys like Robinson and Crayton. We didn't need to break the bank on a WR.

Claiborne was a bad pick. It happens. But it wasn't a bad crazy stupid pick. It was a bad consensus pick. And Draft pick busts are more easily excused than NFL free agent busts. With the free agents, you've got plenty of NFL tape.

Given the heavy win now time preference in NFL management, "going for it" pretty much assures making bad deals, while delaying gratification is a no brainer route to building value.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
If McCoy is cheaper than Crawford, then it's NOT an All-In move.

Free Agents signed after May 8 don't count against the comp pick formula.

They would have to keep Crawford for both 2019 and 2020 to have a chance to get a comp pick from him.

Obviously everyone would agree that McCoy is a better DT than Crawford.

If McCoy would sign for 1-year, 7M and they cut Crawford, then there would be zero cost to add McCoy.

At this point, Crawford is more likely to play DE than DT with or without McCoy on the team.

Nice fact on free agents not counting for comp pick calcs after May 8. I forgot about that. Thanks.

But they count toward comp picks when they leave, don't they? If so, we can generate a comp pick by signing McCoy.

At this point, Crawford may start at RDE, but on pass downs, he's probably still our best pass rushing DT. 5.5 sacks last year, and a Crawford hater pointed out he wasn't getting any at DE. So, 5.5 sacks at DT. Not bad. The best we had. As many as Collins, Woods, and Ross combined.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Trouble with the Dez signing was that those 3 straight years of bliss came before the signing, not after. I was against it. Tony got production outof guys like Robinson and Crayton. We didn't need to break the bank on a WR.
Not signing Dez would have been a complete disaster...see first half of 2018

It is easy looking back but I guarantee you didn't say Dez would break his foot in Game 1 of his new deal

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Not signing Dez would have been a complete disaster...see first half of 2018
It is easy looking back but I guarantee you didn't say Dez would break his foot in Game 1 of his new deal

I didn't want Dez signed at the time. This wasn't in retrospect. I didn't want to invest so much at WR. Just not the way to build a championship team.

Not signing Dez, in retrospect, would have been great. We wouldn't have spent money on a declining player about to get injured, on a team that was about to lose it's QB. Dez's problem wasn't just the foot. Even going back to his early years high pointing the ball, he never learned how to land. Jump 3 feet in the air and land on your hip. That's going to break your body. Time and younger, faster, stronger players caught up with Dez. He had years for that foot to heal. He was never again the same gauy.

If we assume Tony is healthy instead, then he lives without Dez. I always wanted to see Tony with 5 Patrick Craytons. 5 competent NFL WRs. Unstoppable. Dez didn't make Tony. Tony made Dez. And a whole lotta other guys. Laurent Robinson. Patrick Crayton. Robinson would have been a lock for the Pro Bowl if he had played with Tony a full year as a starter. Crayton was ridicuously productive under Tony. Escobar couldn't even stay in the NFL without Tony throwing to him. What's Terrance up to now?

If we assume Tony healthy after 2014, we're talking about a legit league MVP candidate at QB. He was playing the best of his career. There's no disaster without Dez. There's just fewer jump balls at the goal line.

Falco78

Reaction score
- Sign McCoy

- Sign Berry

- Trade a 4th for Kyle Rudolph

You then have a two deep of (yes, some guys will back up multiple positions):

QB - Dak, White/Rush
RB - Elliott, Weber
WR - Cooper, Brown
WR - Gallup, Austin
Slot - Cobb, Hurns
TE - Rudolph, Witten (probably, LOL)
LT - Smith, Fleming
LG - Williams, Sua
C - Frederick, Looney
RG - Martin, McGovern
RT - Collins, Fleming

DE - Lawrence, Charlton
3T - McCoy, Hill
1T - Woods, Collins
DE - Quinn, Armstrong
WLB - LVE, Thomas
MLB - Smith
SLB - Lee, Covington
CB - Jones, Lewis
CB - Awuzie, Brown
Slot - Brown
FS - Woods, Heath
SS - Berry, Iloka

That's a legit roster that could only be screwed up by a mediocre coach.
Unfortunately we don't have a real HC. With the talent we have had on his tenure he should have more than one SB. BB might have had 6 in that span

Falco78

Reaction score
I didn't want Dez signed at the time. This wasn't in retrospect. I didn't want to invest so much at WR. Just not the way to build a championship team.

Not signing Dez, in retrospect, would have been great. We wouldn't have spent money on a declining player about to get injured, on a team that was about to lose it's QB. Dez's problem wasn't just the foot. Even going back to his early years high pointing the ball, he never learned how to land. Jump 3 feet in the air and land on your hip. That's going to break your body. Time and younger, faster, stronger players caught up with Dez. He had years for that foot to heal. He was never again the same gauy.

If we assume Tony is healthy instead, then he lives without Dez. I always wanted to see Tony with 5 Patrick Craytons. 5 competent NFL WRs. Unstoppable. Dez didn't make Tony. Tony made Dez. And a whole lotta other guys. Laurent Robinson. Patrick Crayton. Robinson would have been a lock for the Pro Bowl if he had played with Tony a full year as a starter. Crayton was ridicuously productive under Tony. Escobar couldn't even stay in the NFL without Tony throwing to him. What's Terrance up to now?

If we assume Tony healthy after 2014, we're talking about a legit league MVP candidate at QB. He was playing the best of his career. There's no disaster without Dez. There's just fewer jump balls at the goal line.
Tony was IMO the best player we have had in the past decade except maybe Witten

Sydla

Reaction score
McCoy at 31 is OTH. Berry is an injury away from becoming a paraplegic. Why? Sexy, big names, that their teams no longer want to pay?

So yaaaay, makes all the sense in the world to bring them here. Lol.

Aged talent. Mentors. Depth. Aaaaand cap space.

No thanks.

LOL.

Who cares how old McCoy is? He'd arguably be the best DT on our roster from Day 1. He's still a pass rushing terror from the inside, you know, a weakness of ours.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
LOL.

Who cares how old McCoy is? He'd arguably be the best DT on our roster from Day 1. He's still a pass rushing terror from the inside, you know, a weakness of ours.
Just not true no matter how many times you say it

That is why TB had 38 sacks last year and we had 39 and they had the 31st ranked Defense

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

Yeah 5 Craytons is the way to go......wow

It failed last year and will fail every year

It is an old wives tale that a top WR isn't needed in the NFL......it is a Passing League

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

That is why TB had 38 sacks last year and we had 39 and they had the 31st ranked Defense

That doesn't change the fact that McCoy had better pass rushing numbers in 14 games played than any of our defensive tackles did. He did his job, "no matter how many times you say it."

Sydla

Reaction score

Such a simplistic analysis because anyone knows that sacks isn't the only way to determine how effective a pass rusher is.

McCoy finished in the Top 15 in interior pressures and QB hits from the DT position in 2018. Guess how many Cowboys DTs did that?

Tampa was very much like us.......... one or two decent pass rushers and the rest kind of stunk. It's why even with Lawrence, we were middle of the pack in QB pressures and sacks like Tampa. You need more than one or two pass rushers on a DL.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
LOL.

The correct answer would be: “We like our team!”

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Yeah 5 Craytons is the way to go......wow

It failed last year and will fail every year

It is an old wives tale that a top WR isn't needed in the NFL......it is a Passing League

With Tony throwing the ball, I'll take Team Crayton Clones' against a team's 4th and 5th best CBs.

Tony2014 wasn't the QB last year.

The NFL is a passing league. Not a receiving league.

Edelman was SB MVP. He's never made the Pro Bowl, even with Brady throwing him balls his entire career. Top WRs take a lot of cap. How many are collecting rings?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
What teams are playing for championships with a 22nd ranked offense, 14th passing QB and marginal top 10 defense?