Going short on offense for defense's sake

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Your comment was he could come back at 6, could play at 9. If he doesn't count to the roster from week 6 to week 9, we get him practicing "for free" for weeks.
That would mean:
IR 6 weeks
Practice 3 weeks
Back to IR

Otherwise they would have to use one of the two return spots to move him to the 53 by game 9.

RamziD

Reaction score
Everyone wants to keep only 2 QBs, but DAL never just keeps 2 and it’s highly unlikely they will do so this year. I don’t think they want to risk losing White (I know some will laugh). I see:

10 DL
6 LB
9 Secondary

3 QB
4 RB/FB
9 OL
6 WR
3 TE

sbark

Reaction score
Can't go on PUP. Players have to be put on PUP at the beginning of camp to be eligible to be put on it during the regular season. He can only go on IR. Since you can bring players off IR, though, it's not that much of a difference.
What's up with McGovern injury? Happen in Ota or early in camp
Or was it a injury already in place prior to draft we missed, as he was a surprise drop into the 3rd round, not a invite pre draft for sit down visit etc

sbark

Reaction score
Everyone wants to keep only 2 QBs, but DAL never just keeps 2 and it’s highly unlikely they will do so this year. I don’t think they want to risk losing White (I know some will laugh). I see:

10 DL
6 LB
9 Secondary

3 QB
4 RB/FB
9 OL
6 WR
3 TE
I'd venture that's why they are looking at taryn Christian, j.showers 2.0
A guys they are using at spec teams, wr, qb......jack of all trades, scout team running qb
Beleive showers out of practice sq eligility.
Much long term qb development......no
Better off keeping track of l.a. Chargers 5th round qb....spark score off charts, better qb

Macnalty

Reaction score
8 OL, particularly if no T beyond Fleming is worth a spot. We don't need 3 interior backup, unless they have bad news about someone that they're not sharing. And no way we get McGovern to the PS.
Fleming might be below the line IMO. He is struggling.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

10 DL
6 LB
9 Secondary

3 QB
4 RB/FB
9 OL
6 WR
3 TE

If they can't get White to the practice squad, something is wrong with this league.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
What's up with McGovern injury? Happen in Ota or early in camp
Or was it a injury already in place prior to draft we missed, as he was a surprise drop into the 3rd round, not a invite pre draft for sit down visit etc

I believe it happened during OTAs. He missed minicamp then all of preseason so far. Not sure why they didn't place him on PUP.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I would hope no one considers Campos or Hyatt competition for Fleming, who I think has played well for Smith this preseason. He hasn't been perfect, but if we're expecting a perfect backup tackle, we're expecting too much.

Pretty much what I felt, though I'm less positive on Fleming as playing well, but if someone else has a story to spin on Campos or Hyatt, I'm all ears.

Macnalty

Reaction score
Any backup T not named Fleming doing better?
If Tyron Smith is out for an extended time, I think the best solution would be for Connor Williams to leave the guard position, maybe right tackle and put Lael Collins over on the left side. I shudder to think this is happening but the back is not getting better each year with the off season treatments. I am sure the coaches have already discussed this ad nauseam because no one in the first quarter of the the twenty first century has a solution for a bad back with a contact athlete. That back is ticking much like the knee for Ron Leary is in Denver.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
If Tyron Smith is out for an extended time, I think the best solution would be for Connor Williams to leave the guard position, maybe right tackle and put Lael Collins over on the left side. I shudder to think this is happening but the back is not getting better each year with the off season treatments. I am sure the coaches have already discussed this ad nauseam because no one in the first quarter of the the twenty first century has a solution for a bad back with a contact athlete. That back is ticking much like the knee for Ron Leary is in Denver.

I wouldn't change 3 positions for one guy getting injured. Just play Fleming.

It's really too bad McGovern didn't get a chance to compete for LG. Having Williams be swing T, G would have been great for this year, and give him a full year to get up to speed as an NFL T.

Per Tyron, the back actually was much better this year. "It feels better than it has in years. I'm coming back stronger and faster." I wouldn't read too much into them holding him out. Could be 95% precaution. Then again, it might be real. It sucks to always be worrying about it, but it would suck more to be without him and his team friendly contract.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Why not just cut Crawford? Does he even have trade value at such a high price?

Macnalty

Reaction score
I wouldn't change 3 positions for one guy getting injured. Just play Fleming.

It's really too bad McGovern didn't get a chance to compete for LG. Having Williams be swing T, G would have been great for this year, and give him a full year to get up to speed as an NFL T.

Per Tyron, the back actually was much better this year. "It feels better than it has in years. I'm coming back stronger and faster." I wouldn't read too much into them holding him out. Could be 95% precaution. Then again, it might be real. It sucks to always be worrying about it, but it would suck more to be without him and his team friendly contract.

My opinion is Fleming is a risk and will affect the offense, this last game he was less than average. Moving the pieces on the Oline just allows the backup replacements to play at their optimum positions. We have a Left Tackle with a bad back, along with a center coming back from a season ending nerve injury, next to our all pro guard with a nebulous leg injury. This is probably more the standard for the NFL for injuries rather than everyone being fully rested and cured.

Great point on McGovern, I actually thought they might try and hide him on IR but looks like that ship has sailed.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
My opinion is Fleming is a risk and will affect the offense, this last game he was less than average. Moving the pieces on the Oline just allows the backup replacements to play at their optimum positions. We have a Left Tackle with a bad back, along with a center coming back from a season ending nerve injury, next to our all pro guard with a nebulous leg injury. This is probably more the standard for the NFL for injuries rather than everyone being fully rested and cured.

Great point on McGovern, I actually thought they might try and hide him on IR but looks like that ship has sailed.

It's fair enough to worry about Fleming, but if he's so bad we'll flop position on 2 starters instead of putting him on the field, we need another swing T.

Changing position is no triviality for the player or the line as a whole.

Collins was given an offseason to acclimate to RT, and still had clear growing pains for half a season adjusting. And his college career was as a T.
Chaz Green went from a serviceable backup at LT to a crappy LG in an offseason, and then a horrible LT when they switched him back midseason.

And then there's the chemistry of the line as a whole, of each player getting in sync with how the guy next to him plays.

If you want to flop a guy, just flop Williams to LT, where he played his college ball. He seems more like a LT than Collins anyway, although admittedly Collins has always seemed to me like a guy who didn't fit the mold for any oline position. Not that he can't play, he just plays in an atypical way.

Macnalty

Reaction score
It's fair enough to worry about Fleming, but if he's so bad we'll flop position on 2 starters instead of putting him on the field, we need another swing T.

Changing position is no triviality for the player or the line as a whole.

Collins was given an offseason to acclimate to RT, and still had clear growing pains for half a season adjusting. And his college career was as a T.
Chaz Green went from a serviceable backup at LT to a crappy LG in an offseason, and then a horrible LT when they switched him back midseason.

And then there's the chemistry of the line as a whole, of each player getting in sync with how the guy next to him plays.

If you want to flop a guy, just flop Williams to LT, where he played his college ball. He seems more like a LT than Collins anyway, although admittedly Collins has always seemed to me like a guy who didn't fit the mold for any oline position. Not that he can't play, he just plays in an atypical way.
No way is Williams a LT at this point in his career IMO. I agree that changing positions is non trivial and Flemings has been that poor in the preseason. We have the premier LT in the league and any replacement shows the contrast immediately which is a great problem to have. At this point no backup on the team steps in without us losing a step with our offense, IMO. I think the FO hopes Connor McGovern has some talent that may help in this regard. Otherwise, we are playing the injury lottery with Smiths back again this year. I think a good analogy for Fleming's play so far this year is below a former tackle that started for the boys about ten years back named Alex Baron, and I hope you cannot remember his contribution to the team.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
No way is Williams a LT at this point in his career IMO. I agree that changing positions is non trivial and Flemings has been that poor in the preseason. We have the premier LT in the league and any replacement shows the contrast immediately which is a great problem to have. At this point no backup on the team steps in without us losing a step with our offense, IMO. I think the FO hopes Connor McGovern has some talent that may help in this regard. Otherwise, we are playing the injury lottery with Smiths back again this year. I think a good analogy for Fleming's play so far this year is below a former tackle that started for the boys about ten years back named Alex Baron, and I hope you cannot remember his contribution to the team.

Barron ruined a game winning touchdown for Roy Williams. Sad.

At this point in his career, is Williams supposed to be more of a RT than a LT? He's actually played years at LT prior to last year. Never played RT before.

Obviously we're taking a step back if Smith goes down. If we don't play Fleming or another backup T, I'd rather move Williams to LT than move him to RT *and* move Collins to LT.

Macnalty

Reaction score
Barron ruined a game winning touchdown for Roy Williams. Sad.

At this point in his career, is Williams supposed to be more of a RT than a LT? He's actually played years at LT prior to last year. Never played RT before.

Obviously we're taking a step back if Smith goes down. If we don't play Fleming or another backup T, I'd rather move Williams to LT than move him to RT *and* move Collins to LT.

I do not think Williams has enough junk in the tail to do Left Tackle, I have trolled around the rest of league on some of the fan forums and our issues with Flemming is so minimal compared to what most teams are experiencing with one week left in the preseason.
I have noticed Collins is starting to understand things better these days, it is going to be a difference when we lose him next year because of salary and not because of talent. He has made some knuckle headed plays last year but looks like he has modified his stance and taken some different weight distribution techniques to heart, we are going to be good if we get the rushing champion back in time.
Nice discussing this fine point of the oline with you

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I do not think Williams has enough junk in the tail to do Left Tackle, I have trolled around the rest of league on some of the fan forums and our issues with Flemming is so minimal compared to what most teams are experiencing with one week left in the preseason.
I have noticed Collins is starting to understand things better these days, it is going to be a difference when we lose him next year because of salary and not because of talent. He has made some knuckle headed plays last year but looks like he has modified his stance and taken some different weight distribution techniques to heart, we are going to be good if we get the rushing champion back in time.
Nice discussing this fine point of the oline with you

We're putting Williams at LG, where you need the most sand in the pants. LT is where feet and agility matter more than power, so that's the best fit I see for him.

Collins was getting better end of 2017. People were talking pro bowl consideration. People being Cowboy fans, who are admittedly biased, but still. He was clearly improving and up to a respectable level. The Alexander hiring set him back last year. (Proving yet again, if it needed to be shown after the Chaz Green fiasco, that coaching matters, and our coaching hurts our team.)

Colombo got him back on track. I expect him to have a good year. He's probably better at LT now than Williams, but his characteristics are more power over agility (at least of the pass blocking T type), so I put Williams at LT as the better fit.