Going short on offense for defense's sake

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
The cut/re-sign player needs to be a vested vet.

Morris would likely agree to just wait the 24 to 48 hours required and then re-sign. They could give him a small bonus for the trouble.

It looks like March does just barely qualify as a vested vet (2 years in IR, 10 games in 2017 and 16 in 2018).

I thought Goodwin was a vested vet but it appears that he is not. It's unlikely that he would be claimed considering he has been with nfl teams for 5 years and has less than 200 snaps on defense. He is literally a special teams player.

I think they consider Crawford a DE that has the ability to play DT.

I don't think Jelks makes the roster unless they cut/trade Crawford or somebody else.

Is Mike Jackson injured? He didn't play ps game 2 and I don't recall seeing him in ps game 3.

Olumba needs to be really good on teams because I think he has limited upside at CB. He looks like he can be an OK backup but I don't know if he projects to ever be a legit starter. Maybe in the KR scheme he can but he seems to have limited speed.

Westry probably has a higher upside than Olumba but is well behind him from a developed NFL skills perspective.

I see Westry and Jackson both as practice squad possibilities for now.

I don't think the cut/re-sign player necessarily needs to be a vested vet. The team just has to cut someone who isn't likely to be claimed, as you mentioned with Goodwin. I think we could cut Chunn without that worry, and even if he is claimed, we could always grab Weber or even Jackson for that third role, which at the most would be special teams unless one of the top two is injured.

Olumba is primarily just special teams at the moment so it's possible someone could be kept instead. I just think he's had a better showing than all of the corners except the starting group (Awuzie, Brown and Lewis).

gimmesix

Reaction score
I don't think they'll want to burn a season of development by putting him on IR. They had expected him back for camp, so there isn't a physical reason to keep him off the roster.

Williams had never played G before. He improved during the season. though spending the time weight training would have done him good, having him without football training for a season would set back his football skills from his college level instead of move them forward. A year of IR still counts as an accrued season.

He can still get physically stronger and learn the scheme on IR. Whether he's on IR or the roster, he's going to accrue a season for doing nothing because he isn't going to dress for games. The only difference is that he can practice. He can attend team meetings and be around the team, though. I'm not really sure how much being on the scout team actually helps a lineman, though, because I don't know how much contact is allowed.

gimmesix

Reaction score
They were thrilled to get McGovern in the 3rd. I think they'll be willing to bet on the college tape. They may get a few practices before the season starts. He was supposed to come back during camp.

They were also thrilled to get Jacob Rogers years ago in the second, Chris Petersen in the third. How about Chaz Green? We're not going to risk McGovern to waivers, but that doesn't mean he's going to turn out to be a player in this league for various reasons.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
He can return from IR for game 9.

He can return to practice week 6.

If he doesn't count toward the roster til week 9, then there is some benefit to this.

Still, we can only bring back 2. Using up one of those just to get a net extra 3 weeks practice is a questionable use of an IR return.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Punt Return is Austin's top value to the team.

He does have good ability as a WR.

He would be a serviceable "starting" slot WR.

Punt returners are a dime a dozen, particularly on this team. Pollard, Wilson, and Cobb could all be a serviceable slot wr/punt returners. Pollard and Austin give you serious complementary ball carriers.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
He can still get physically stronger and learn the scheme on IR. Whether he's on IR or the roster, he's going to accrue a season for doing nothing because he isn't going to dress for games. The only difference is that he can practice. He can attend team meetings and be around the team, though. I'm not really sure how much being on the scout team actually helps a lineman, though, because I don't know how much contact is allowed.

The year isn't entirely wasted, but no football for a year is sure to degrade his football skill instead of develop it.

You could have a point. Could be that the laming of practice and camp have left players no time to develop but game time, and being on the 53 as a backup and not playing is barely better than being on IR.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Why are people saying Chunn is a lock for the 53? He is the last RB on the depth chart, 4 RBs without Zeke are ahead of him ...... That's 5 with Zeke ahead of Chunn

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Is Mike Jackson injured? He didn't play ps game 2 and I don't recall seeing him in ps game 3.

Olumba needs to be really good on teams because I think he has limited upside at CB. He looks like he can be an OK backup but I don't know if he projects to ever be a legit starter. Maybe in the KR scheme he can but he seems to have limited speed.

Westry probably has a higher upside than Olumba but is well behind him from a developed NFL skills perspective.
This is my thing. I keep seeing everyone put Olumba on the team over Jackson. And yeah, Jackson appears to be hurt but I haven't seen what it's about. I agree Olumba is limited. He just doesn't have the speed to be anything but a depth guy imo. And as a depth guy he can't play in the slot. I think Jackson does have that upside and can play inside and out. He also has been a ball hawk which is something this team needs. I've seen the Cowboys release lesser drafted talents at cb than Jackson and all were picked up by other teams. Drafted CBs get teams attention.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Why are people saying Chunn is a lock for the 53? He is the last RB on the depth chart, 4 RBs without Zeke are ahead of him ...... That's 5 with Zeke ahead of Chunn
The guys on the website like Broaddus are pushing that he's the 3rd rb. Claims that the team sees him as a better Rod Smith and he's great on STs.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
The guys on the website like Broaddus are pushing that he's the 3rd rb. Claims that the team sees him as a better Rod Smith and he's great on STs.
What does the depth chart say and the games say? Morris is the vet that they like, Pollard is the starter, Jackson returns kicks and lined up in the slot a bunch and best blocking back, Chunn isn't ahead of those guys. Maybe he is ahead of Weber but he is a draft pick.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is my thing. I keep seeing everyone put Olumba on the team over Jackson. And yeah, Jackson appears to be hurt but I haven't seen what it's about. I agree Olumba is limited. He just doesn't have the speed to be anything but a depth guy imo. And as a depth guy he can't play in the slot. I think Jackson does have that upside and can play inside and out. He also has been a ball hawk which is something this team needs. I've seen the Cowboys release lesser drafted talents at cb than Jackson and all were picked up by other teams. Drafted CBs get teams attention.
Agree. I would not want to cut Jackson.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chunn was on the ps all of last season and nobody signed him away.

Draft picks like Weber tend to get claimed.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Punt returners are a dime a dozen, particularly on this team. Pollard, Wilson, and Cobb could all be a serviceable slot wr/punt returners. Pollard and Austin give you serious complementary ball carriers.
The team likes Austin for all of those reasons but PR is what makes him a lock.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If he doesn't count toward the roster til week 9, then there is some benefit to this.

Still, we can only bring back 2. Using up one of those just to get a net extra 3 weeks practice is a questionable use of an IR return.

I don't follow how using an IR return spot correlates with 3 weeks of practice.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Chunn was on the ps all of last season and nobody signed him away.

Draft picks like Weber tend to get claimed.
I think even if Weber passes through waivers, that he would likely want to sign to another teams practice squad. Zeke is the man here, Pollard was drafted ahead of him and is solidly the #2 and then they choose a 1st year Chunn over him for the 3rd spot. I would think he'd be trying to sign with a team without a name rb. Maybe also one closer to home.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think even if Weber passes through waivers, that he would likely want to sign to another teams practice squad. Zeke is the man here, Pollard was drafted ahead of him and is solidly the #2 and then they choose a 1st year Chunn over him for the 3rd spot. I would think he'd be trying to sign with a team without a name rb. Maybe also one closer to home.
I would just keep Weber on the 53 over Chunn.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I don't follow how using an IR return spot correlates with 3 weeks of practice.

Your comment was he could come back at 6, could play at 9. If he doesn't count to the roster from week 6 to week 9, we get him practicing "for free" for weeks.

gimmesix

Reaction score
The year isn't entirely wasted, but no football for a year is sure to degrade his football skill instead of develop it.

You could have a point. Could be that the laming of practice and camp have left players no time to develop but game time, and being on the 53 as a backup and not playing is barely better than being on IR.

I remember some commentator recently saying that about the backup QBs, that they haven't really had any real practice since the last preseason. I'm sure most things they get to do are at half-speed without any real hitting. Plus, the scout team guys are running the other team's offense instead of ours, so I'm not sure how beneficial it is.

Still, even if we put him on IR, we could bring him back and he'd get to practice for more than half the season ... so if he's going to need three or four more weeks to fully recover, we definitely should go with IR.