Going to be tough avoiding 0-2

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The Chargers struggled to get 20 points against the WFT, while the Cowboys put up 29 points against the Bucs who have #1 Defense in the league.

I'm not worried that much.
Because the Deadskins have one of the best defenses. Chargers were actually in position to put up more but they had costly turnovers in Redzone. Did you watch the game?

LittleD

Reaction score
The Commish decides who will win in this league now because the League is now totally invested in online gambling on games. The league controls instant replay and the officials.
The Commish has obviously vowed that since Jerry hasn't shared enough of his revenue with the league owners and Jerry backed Zeke when he went to court to diminish league power, Jerry and the
Dallas Cowboys will not be allowed to enter the gates of another Super Bowl as long as Jerry and his family own the team. Twenty Five years and counting prove the point.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Because the Deadskins have one of the best defenses. Chargers were actually in position to put up more but they had costly turnovers in Redzone. Did you watch the game?
I saw the highlights. Wasn't impressed by the WFT. Herbert was lighting them up. I don't understand why the WFT played so much zone coverage? The Chargers receivers didn't seem to be jammed at the line of scrimmage or had their timing thrown off. All I saw was easy target practice. But to answer your question, I did not see the game, so I could possibly be wrong by going off the mere game highlights.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I saw the highlights. Wasn't impressed by the WFT. Herbert was lighting them up. I don't understand why the WFT played so much zone coverage? The Chargers receivers didn't seem to be jammed at the line of scrimmage or had their timing thrown off. All I saw was easy target practice. But to answer your question, I did not see the game, so I could possibly be wrong by going off the mere game highlights.
I’d put the Chargers receivers up against anyone. It was easy target practice. And Herbert was throwing darts.

Wash was definitely thwarted offensively when Fitz went out but if Chargers hadn’t turned it over they would have won easily by 2 or 3 scores.

And maybe that will be our saving grace is winning turnover battle. But watching Herbert throw to his receivers with such precision and authority should give any secondary fits.

Carson

Reaction score
I’d put the Chargers receivers up against anyone. It was easy target practice. And Herbert was throwing darts.

Wash was definitely thwarted offensively when Fitz went out but if Chargers hadn’t turned it over they would have won easily by 2 or 3 scores.

And maybe that will be our saving grace is winning turnover battle. But watching Herbert throw to his receivers with such precision and authority should give any secondary fits.

Ehhh I’d put them just a notch below Tampa, Dallas and Kansas City.

Allen is elite, Cook adds another dimension and we struggle with Tight ends.

Williams is too inconsistent for me to put them in that top tier. I follow Clemson, so I’ve seen what he can do. Kid is a baller for sure

With saying that, I’m sure he goes 13 catches, 215, 4 TDs on Brown next week with 0 drops.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Ehhh I’d put them just a notch below Tampa, Dallas and Kansas City.

Allen is elite, Cook adds another dimension and we struggle with Tight ends.

Williams is too inconsistent for me to put them in that top tier. I follow Clemson, so I’ve seen what he can do. Kid is a baller for sure

With saying that, I’m sure he goes 13 catches, 215, 4 TDs on Brown next week with 0 drops.
And that’s why I’m so concerned with our secondary. They could really light us up.

Wash with a much stronger defense struggled defending them. If not for costly turnovers Herbert would have put up a couple more TD’s.

This could be a real shootout in LA. I’m very impressed with Herbert. And Williams and Allen looked like Pro Bowlers. Maybe Herbert makes them look better?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
the only way Herbert isnt a bad azz QB is he's been booked
I dont think so kid's got 'it'
Yea, I think Herbert fits the billing. Chargers could be dangerous. Tons of confidence for a second year QB.

He has that throwback drop back cannon precise arm we don’t see very often anymore with all of these mobile playmakers coming out.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

What about Washington's turnovers and miscues? Don't they count?

Carson

Reaction score
And that’s why I’m so concerned with our secondary. They could really light us up.

Wash with a much stronger defense struggled defending them. If not for costly turnovers Herbert would have put up a couple more TD’s.

This could be a real shootout in LA. I’m very impressed with Herbert. And Williams and Allen looked like Pro Bowlers. Maybe Herbert makes them look better?
Thing is though they may be without Boluga. Pretty much they had 0 returning starters from last season with him out.

Slater seems like the real deal and kept Young in check.

They don’t have the line, nor run game Tampa does. I think we match up well if our corners can just contain Williams to under 100.

They struggled to stop Heinecke. Their secondary outside of James is beatable. It’s painful that Gallup is out this week as I feel we’d dominate them

Hoofbite

Reaction score

They had a good defense last year. The year prior they had a awful defense, and the year before that they were average.

Ups and downs in the NFL. I think they're just as likely to finish average or even awful as they are to repeat as a top 5 defense.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
They had a good defense last year. The year prior they had a awful defense, and the year before that they were average.

Ups and downs in the NFL. I think they're just as likely to finish average or even awful as they are to repeat as a top 5 defense.
What changes personnel wise would lead you to believe Wash won’t have as good of defense this year?

Hoofbite

Reaction score
What changes personnel wise would lead you to believe Wash won’t have as good of defense this year?

It doesn't have to be personnel-wise. They played a weak NFCE, and they were coming off a previous 4th place finish which means they played 2 other 4th place finishing teams.
  • Inside the NFCE, they allowed 15.5 points/game. Outside the NFCE, they allowed 23.6 points/game
  • Inside the NFCE, they scored 25.3 points/game. Outside the NFCE, they scored 18.3 points/game
  • Inside the NFCE, they allowed 243 yards/game. Outside the NFCE, they allowed 341 yards/game
  • Inside the NFCE, they generated 10 turnovers. Outside the NFCE, they generated 13 turnovers
  • Inside the NFCE, they had 10 turnovers. Outside the NFCE they had 17 turnovers. +/-0 within the division, and -4 outside the division
  • Inside the NFCE, they held the ball for 31:35/game. Outside the NFCE, they held the ball for 28:54/game
Absent a repeat from last year in terms of the NFCE's suckiness, I don't see how they'll match last year's production. Assuming Dallas is better from having Dak back and Philly is better from not having to fool around with Wentz, Washington already has 6 tougher games on their schedule than they did last year. 4 between Dallas and Philly, and 2 random other 1st place division winners instead of 4th place division losers.

I don't think their defense is bad, but I do think they benefitted from playing against an awful NFCE. If the rest of their schedule had performed like the NFCE, they would have been the league's best scoring defense by 3 points/game. If the NFCE would have performed like their opponents in their other 10 games, they would have been the 17th best scoring defense. I don't blame them, they can only play who is on their schedule, but when 6 of 16 games are against absolute trash, the numbers can really start to look really good without meaning a whole lot.

Their defense will be top half of the league - likely in the low-teens - but I have a hard time believing they will be 4th in scoring and 2nd in yardage again.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
the only way Herbert isnt a bad azz QB is he's been booked
I dont think so kid's got 'it'

Yeah, and now he's got a left tackle. Rashawn Slater didn't get beat all day - he gave up no sacks or QB hits.

Their right tackle got hurt, though, and his replacement immediately got burned by Josh Sweat. Don't know how seriously he's injured.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Yeah, and now he's got a left tackle. Rashawn Slater didn't get beat all day - he gave up no sacks or QB hits.

Their right tackle got hurt, though, and his replacement immediately got burned by Josh Sweat. Don't know how seriously he's injured.

speaking of #Slater

we passed on him.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It doesn't have to be personnel-wise. They played a weak NFCE, and they were coming off a previous 4th place finish which means they played 2 other 4th place finishing teams.
  • Inside the NFCE, they allowed 15.5 points/game. Outside the NFCE, they allowed 23.6 points/game
  • Inside the NFCE, they scored 25.3 points/game. Outside the NFCE, they scored 18.3 points/game
  • Inside the NFCE, they allowed 243 yards/game. Outside the NFCE, they allowed 341 yards/game
  • Inside the NFCE, they generated 10 turnovers. Outside the NFCE, they generated 13 turnovers
  • Inside the NFCE, they had 10 turnovers. Outside the NFCE they had 17 turnovers. +/-0 within the division, and -4 outside the division
  • Inside the NFCE, they held the ball for 31:35/game. Outside the NFCE, they held the ball for 28:54/game
Absent a repeat from last year in terms of the NFCE's suckiness, I don't see how they'll match last year's production. Assuming Dallas is better from having Dak back and Philly is better from not having to fool around with Wentz, Washington already has 6 tougher games on their schedule than they did last year. 4 between Dallas and Philly, and 2 random other 1st place division winners instead of 4th place division losers.

I don't think their defense is bad, but I do think they benefitted from playing against an awful NFCE. If the rest of their schedule had performed like the NFCE, they would have been the league's best scoring defense by 3 points/game. If the NFCE would have performed like their opponents in their other 10 games, they would have been the 17th best scoring defense. I don't blame them, they can only play who is on their schedule, but when 6 of 16 games are against absolute trash, the numbers can really start to look really good without meaning a whole lot.

Their defense will be top half of the league - likely in the low-teens - but I have a hard time believing they will be 4th in scoring and 2nd in yardage again.
So you think our division is going to be that much better this year?

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
I'm not sold on all this talk about the 2021 schedule is easy. I think it is actually more difficult because you have a lot of teams that are playoff-caliber but missed it last year. However, we know that teams like the Chargers, Cardinals, Vikings, Washington/Eagles (capable of winning the weak NFC East) are not layups. And then you still have to play the Saints and Chiefs.