Good Deeds

ethiostar

Reaction score
The story of a good deed has spread like wildfire online since Sunday, when an anonymous do-gooder left a kind note and $40 on a woman’s windshield in a Dunkin’ Donuts parking lot.

“I noticed the sticker on the back of your car,” the note read, referring to a “Half my Heart is in Afghanistan” bumper sticker. “Take your hero out to dinner when he comes home. Thank you both for serving. Him deployed and you for waiting.” It was signed “United States veteran” and “God Bless.”

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-livi...ier-becomes-internet-sensation-162557907.html

ethiostar

Reaction score
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf...uchdown-during-nebraska-233901185--ncaaf.html

Nebraska held is annual Red-White Spring Game on Saturday and the star of the contest was a 7-year-old boy.

Jack Hoffman is a diehard Nebraska fan battling brain cancer. Last season, he formed a bond with Nebraska running back Rex Burkhead and has become an inspiration for the Huskers ever since.

So, during the fourth quarter of the spring game, Hoffman, who was dressed in a Nebraska uniform complete with an oversized helmet (no pads), lined up in the backfield, got the hand off and ran the ball in for a long touchdown.

It was the highlight of the game.

Here is the clip.
[youtube]_Jmisv1Spck[/youtube]

Bigdog

Reaction score
ethiostar;5044334 said:

This one is touching in so many ways. It acutally replaced the Clooney hit as the top play of the week.

This is a minor one but the other day I was in a long line at Walmart and waiting patiently to pay for some items when this mother of three was at the cashier paying for some much needed items. She didn't look like she had much and her kids looked like they had not bathed and a couple of days. The mother was getting some dirty looks from other people as she tried to pay for some of the items. She had to put several things back as she did not have enough with the food stamps she had. This was not to the liken of the cashier or other people who were getting annoyed with this lady. I heard several people make some really mean comments about her that I am sure she heard. Comments like " How could anyone live like that, her children have no hope, she should be ashamed of herself." The cashier put the her things that she could not afford in a bag and the women and her three children walked out the door. Her head was held low and she never made eye contact with anyone. People made comments as she walked out the door like "its about time and boy did they smell." I paid for my items and when the cashier asked me if their was anything else, I told her yes. I told her I would pay for the items in the bag that the woman could not. You should have seen the look on the cashier dface and the people around me. They were totally stunned. I went outside and found the woman with her three small children pushing the shopping cart they had. I said to her "Mam, you forgot this at check out line." She was surprised and thanked me. She told me she did not have any money to give me. I told her no bother but the way you can repay me is by keeping your head up and don't listen to what people say. I then just walked away. If people would just be kind to others and look in helping one another instead of pitying them, this world will be a better place for ourselves and our children.

danielofthesaints

Reaction score
Bigdog;5044849 said:
This one is touching in so many ways. It acutally replaced the Clooney hit as the top play of the week.

This is a minor one but the other day I was in a long line at Walmart and waiting patiently to pay for some items when this mother of three was at the cashier paying for some much needed items. She didn't look like she had much and her kids looked like they had not bathed and a couple of days. The mother was getting some dirty looks from other people as she tried to pay for some of the items. She had to put several things back as she did not have enough with the food stamps she had. This was not to the liken of the cashier or other people who were getting annoyed with this lady. I heard several people make some really mean comments about her that I am sure she heard. Comments like " How could anyone live like that, her children have no hope, she should be ashamed of herself." The cashier put the her things that she could not afford in a bag and the women and her three children walked out the door. Her head was held low and she never made eye contact with anyone. People made comments as she walked out the door like "its about time and boy did they smell." I paid for my items and when the cashier asked me if their was anything else, I told her yes. I told her I would pay for the items in the bag that the woman could not. You should have seen the look on the cashier dface and the people around me. They were totally stunned. I went outside and found the woman with her three small children pushing the shopping cart they had. I said to her "Mam, you forgot this at check out line." She was surprised and thanked me. She told me she did not have any money to give me. I told her no bother but the way you can repay me is by keeping your head up and don't listen to what people say. I then just walked away. If people would just be kind to others and look in helping one another instead of pitying them, this world will be a better place for ourselves and our children.

:thumbup:

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Bigdog;5044849 said:
This one is touching in so many ways. It acutally replaced the Clooney hit as the top play

Your a good man Bigdog. I have witnessed this sort of stuff too but never reached out like what you did. I have offered to pay the difference a few times for those in need but what you did was above and beyond.

I have no respect for those who cast judge on other peoples misfortunes, especially when they know nothing about the situation. Some are trying their best but just can't catch that break and a little assistance from us goes a long ways.

ethiostar

Reaction score
Bigdog;5044849 said:

:bow:

dexternjack;5044858 said:
Your a good man Bigdog. I have witnessed this sort of stuff too but never reached out like what you did. I have offered to pay the difference a few times for those in need but what you did was above and beyond.

I have no respect for those who cast judge on other peoples misfortunes, especially when they know nothing about the situation. Some are trying their best but just can't catch that break and a little assistance from us goes a long ways.

Very well said.

Bigdog

Reaction score
dexternjack;5044858 said:

Thank you. I wasn't trying to get any praise but I just thought it was the right thing to do. My wife rescues foster dogs and then tries to get them to a good home. We try to teach our children to help those peopple and animals who are less fortunate than we are.

This is a great thread. I love reading this kind of stuff. Alot of people, media focus on the negative that goes on in the world. I like to see the positive in people. Hopefully, we can keep this going and ethos, thank you for starting it.

ethiostar

Reaction score
Bigdog;5045094 said:
This is a great thread. I love reading this kind of stuff. A lot of people, media focus on the negative that goes on in the world. I like to see the positive in people. Hopefully, we can keep this going and ethos, thank you for starting it.

You are very welcome!

ethiostar

Reaction score
CEO Donates His $3.6 Million Bonus to Employees

Lord Wolfson's bonus was £2.4 million, or about 3.6 million U.S. dollars, Telegraph UK reports.

Employees who have been with the retailer since June 2010 or longer will get 1% of their salary. That means that the average clerk, who makes about $30,000, would get $300.

Wolfson called the act "a gesture of thanks and appreciation from the company for the hard work and commitment you have given to Next over the past three years and through some very tough times," the Telegraph reported.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/ceo-donates-3-6-million-195100933.html

ethiostar

Reaction score
Airline Reunites Boy With Deceased Dad's 'Daddy Shirt'

A 7-year-old boy from Casselton, N.D., who lost his dad also lost his most prized possession -- his father's shirt -- on a March 27 Delta flight from Fargo to San Diego.

Cole Holzer's dad died two years ago when he fell hanging Christmas lights, ABC affiliate WDAY reported. The well-worn Nike shirt that goes with Cole everywhere was the one his dad, Bryan, was wearing when he died.

"Ever since he will lay out and spray his dad's cologne on it and cuddle up with it and sing the daddy song to go to bed," Tonya Holzer, Cole's mom, told the station.

But in the rush to leave the plane when it landed, the shirt was left behind. The family didn't realize it until they were driving away from the airport.

http://gma.yahoo.com/airline-reunites-boy-deceased-dads-daddy-shirt-104035726--abc-news-travel.html

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
California baseball team springs into action to lift car, save trapped girl’s life

By Cameron Smith | Prep Rally – 8 hours

As first reported by Sacramento TV news outlets KXTV and NBC affiliate KCRA, members of the Valley baseball team sprung into action after seeing a mother accidentally run over her own daughter in the parking lot. The mother was dropping off her daughter for an after school program when she accidentally hit the car in front of her, panicked and threw the auto into reverse. The rapid shift pinned her daughter under the car and rendered her immobile, all while putting her health in peril should the mother try and drive forward again.

As soon as the players heard screams for help they raced over, with a total of 16 varsity and junior varsity members of the Valley squad combining to lift the car up while Valley coach James Millholland pulled the trapped girl out from under the car.

"We all just ran out there as a team," varsity coach James Millholland told KCRA. "No one was saying much, and then the guys got around the car and just lifted it up. There was very little talking."

Both Sacramento-based television networks cited reports from the hospital saying that the girl had not suffered any significant injuries, with the players’ quick thinking saving the day, and her long term health.

Read more: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highs...m-springs-action-lift-car-save-180142644.html

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;5081411 said:
California baseball team springs into action to lift car, save trapped girl’s life

By Cameron Smith | Prep Rally – 8 hours

As first reported by Sacramento TV news outlets KXTV and NBC affiliate KCRA, members of the Valley baseball team sprung into action after seeing a mother accidentally run over her own daughter in the parking lot. The mother was dropping off her daughter for an after school program when she accidentally hit the car in front of her, panicked and threw the auto into reverse. The rapid shift pinned her daughter under the car and rendered her immobile, all while putting her health in peril should the mother try and drive forward again.

As soon as the players heard screams for help they raced over, with a total of 16 varsity and junior varsity members of the Valley squad combining to lift the car up while Valley coach James Millholland pulled the trapped girl out from under the car.

"We all just ran out there as a team," varsity coach James Millholland told KCRA. "No one was saying much, and then the guys got around the car and just lifted it up. There was very little talking."

Both Sacramento-based television networks cited reports from the hospital saying that the girl had not suffered any significant injuries, with the players’ quick thinking saving the day, and her long term health.

Read more: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highs...m-springs-action-lift-car-save-180142644.html

That was so cool...!

:bow:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
ethiostar;4684367 said:
The Man Who Planted A Forest

851-640x400.jpg

Johnny Appleseed in a modern setting.

That's pretty cool and this entire thread idea is pretty cool. Good on you Ethiostar!

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;5044731 said:
If Rudy had been a Cornhusker, he would have tackled him.

And that's why Rudy could never be a Husker.

That was pretty cool to watch.