Good Deeds

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;5081411 said:
California baseball team springs into action to lift car, save trapped girl’s life

In 1974, below Raleigh, NC, .. just a little north of Smithfield, my roommate and I came upon an accident that had just occurred.

As a matter of fact the car that was on it's top had passed us a little earlier.

There was a man trapped under the car in a ditch. The weight of the car was not fully on him as the car straddled the ditch that he was in, but it had him trapped.

When we got out of our car people were just getting there, yelling and screaming, .. it was chaos.

My buddy and I went to the back of the car, at the trunk, lifted the car just enough for others to pull the guy out.

As the police and an ambulance came, we sort of drifted back into the crowd and watched.

After the ambulance loaded up the guy and left, just as the wrecker arrived and people were leaving, .. I nudged my buddy, and nodded my head for him to come over and try to lift the car again.

We couldn't budge it.

ethiostar

Reaction score
Man leaves $10,000 tip after meal of burgers and fries

http://news.yahoo.com/video/man-leaves-10-000-tip-210846718.html

Bob Erb and his wife were traveling through Saskatchewan, Canada when they stopped into the Old West Express diner in Chamberlain. The couple met the friendly owner Clifford Luther, chatted, and eventually learned that the restaurateur had just hours earlier received the devastating news that his daughter was diagnosed with cancer. Erb said, “I had mentioned you know that I had lost my 26 year old son almost 5 years ago so I understand you know the anxiety and worry.” The out-of-towner was also on a somber voyage, traveling to bury his father’s ashes in the family cemetery. After doing so, 3 days later Erb and his wife traveled back to the Old West Express diner. Erb explained, “I said, ‘Hey, I didn’t get a chance to stop in a bank machine, can I write you a check,’ I said, ‘for lunch?’ ‘No, no, no,’ he says, ‘I’ll buy you lunch.’ I said, ‘No, no, no,’ I said, ‘I’ll leave you a check and a tip.’” Erb paid for the meal of burgers and fries. When Luther saw that the check was written out for $10,000 he became overwhelmed with emotion and was amazed by the kindness of this stranger who had become his friend.

ethiostar

Reaction score
Man Gives $500 Tips as Brother's Last Wish

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/man-gives-500-tips-brothers-last-wish-120534687.html?vp=1

A man's dying wish for an act of unexpected kindness has blossomed into a year's worth of donations and giving on his behalf.

A year ago, Seth Collins and his parents began a mission to fulfill the dying wish of Aaron Collins - Seth's younger brother - to leave a stranger a $500 tip. After the video for the first tip went viral, money from donors started pouring in for Seth Collins to do it again. And the one-time act of kindness developed into something much more.

I might have posted this story a while back when family left the first tip but it has now obviously gotten much bigger.

ethiostar

Reaction score
A story my wife told me last night when I got home:

She was taking our son to daycare yesterday morning. When she came to a four-way stop sign she noticed a truck with a 4-wheeler on its bed, coming from the opposite direction, slowly pull into the median a few yards before the stop sign. A man got out of the truck and proceeded to push the truck across the street in front of her in an attempt to get his truck to a gas station parking lot. She said, the second it was obvious what the man was attempting to do, two cars going in opposite directions immediately pulled over and a man came out of each car, and ran over to help the man push his truck into the parking lot, get back in their cars and drive off.

I am glad my son got to watch this act of kindness. He was so excited about it that he told his teachers as soon as he arrived at daycare. Some of the teachers talked with her about it after he went into his room and commented on the fact that, and I paraphrase, "that was really nice of the men to help the guy but its usually the opposite, that you usually can't find anyone to help." I don't know anything about their experiences but based on mine that is a complete BS. More often than not, in the same scenario, there are usually people who are willing to help, so long as they don't put themselves or their families in too much danger.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Teens chase kidnapping suspect on bikes, save 5-year-old girl
From Micheala Periera, CNN
updated 11:54 AM EDT, Mon July 15, 2013

Five-year-old Jocelyn Rojas was playing in her front yard in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, when she vanished Thursday afternoon. Authorities believe she was abducted by a man who lured her by offering ice cream.

Temar Boggs, 15, and his friend took off on their bicycles to search.

About a half-mile away, they spotted Jocelyn in a sedan. But the driver was elusive.

"Every time we'd go down the street, he'd turn back around, and then ... we'll follow him," Temar told CNN affiliate WGAL.

The two teens chased the alleged kidnapper on their bikes for 15 heart-pounding minutes. The driver apparently knew he was being followed and gave up.

"He stopped at the end of the hill and let her out, and she ran to me and said that she needed her mom," Temar said.

Read the rest: http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/15/justice/pennsylvania-teen-heroes/index.html

----------------------

Could've turned out so many different ways. Glad these boys kept following the the car.

ethiostar

Reaction score
Saw that article too and almost posted it here, as well. It was really cool of folks to do.

It is very cool.

I have never done it before but I think I'm going to pay for whoever is behind me next time I am at drive-thru.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Titans rookie Jonathan Willard saves family, dog from burning car
By Ryan Wilson | CBSSports.com
July 24, 2013 8:32 am ET

On Tuesday afternoon, former Clemson linebacker Johnathan Willard was making his way form South Carolina to Titans training camp in Tennessee. While driving on Interstate 40, the undrafted free agent saw smoke billowing from a moving car ahead of him. His first instinct was to try to help.

"I saw this car in front of me, and it had all kinds of black smoke coming out of it," Willard told TigerNet.com Tuesday evening. "I tried to speed up and get up next to the car to let them know the car was on fire."

When Willard caught up to the car he saw a female driver with three children and a dog. After honking his horn to get her attention, the driver pulled over.

"When she pulled over, the car was really on fire at that point," Willard said. "The driver, she acted like she was in some kind of daze or something. She told me that she didn't stop because she didn't think it was her car that was on fire. Another guy stopped, and we managed to get the kids and the dog out and get them to safety, and then I finally got the woman out."

Read more: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/e...han-willard-saves-family-dog-from-burning-car