"Good RBs make the Oline look good & not the reverse"

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
One can & does definitely influence the appearance of the other, but the title is essentially false- without a doubt the quality of an oline does far more to elevate a given runningback than the other way around.

Highly debatable....

Like many have said here, I believe it's a blend of both. It simply goes both ways. My agreement with that prominent SEC head coach (Gary Pinkel btw) was not a simple endorsement of one over the other. It was to highlight the importance of having a RB that makes the oline better. It's already a given (in my mind) that a strong oline makes a RB better. HOWEVER, saying that "anyone can run behind our all world oline" is proving to be a farce. I knew it was a farce when the drum was sounded this offseason in an effort to defend our lil rbbc and it is proving itself to be genuine as the season takes shape.

With respect to present times, we don't have that stud in the backfield that compliments our oline.

Last edited:

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Maybe. If we cut him we dont lose a pick

Right... Conventional wisdom would say you are definitely onto something. It makes zero sense to stash someone on the roster that will cost you a conditional pick if he is still on the roster (after 5 or 6 weeks?) without seeing what you may have in him. That would be the definition of dumb.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
You want a real RBBC with two studs both offering different styles to the mix? I will give you one to compare Randle & McFadden to right now.

Karlos Williams (bruising straight ahead power style) and Shady McCoy (shifty elusive style). That, my friends, is a justified and effective RBBC. That wasn't even Buffalo's plan. It just so happens that those two are complimenting each other "and that oline" very well.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Randle is averaging 0.9 yards before contact this year while Murray averaged 3.3. From what I've seen this year, our run blocking has taken a step back. I think we have capable backs that have ran well with the blocking they have in front of them, especially Randle who is averaging over three yards after contact. Maybe Michael can add something, but it all starts up front, not the other way around.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Randle is averaging 0.9 yards before contact this year while Murray averaged 3.3. From what I've seen this year, our run blocking has taken a step back. I think we have capable backs that have ran well with the blocking they have in front of them, especially Randle who is averaging over three yards after contact. Maybe Michael can add something, but it all starts up front, not the other way around.

People don't want to listen to legitimate reasons. Your post will probably be ignored. This nonsense complaining about the RBs is ridiculous.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Matt Forte is now amongst players the Bears would consider in their fire sale. Last week they said he was off limits. Could we get him on the cheap? Does this figure into Darth's hunch? We're all fairly intelligent people. I don't think it's unfathomable to believe that the Cowboys are seeking to audition CMike this week to see if they have something for the longer term with his performance being the deciding factor on whether or not to pull the trigger on Forte.

Matt Forte among players Bears would consider trading - NFL.com http://teamstre.am/1M979TH

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score

It definitely starts with the oline. But it helps to have a back that the know will get some dirty yards if they don't get the big push.
We don't have that so far this season.

Brooksey

Reaction score
Then you're not looking.

It's to early in the season to put much into these numbers. Take one big run away and I'm sure he's close to last.

The problem with Randle is he's missing the 3-4 yard drive sustaining runs, he takes to many negative plays. He either lacks the vision or the mental decisiveness to hit the zone blocks that are being provided. He needs to improve here or be the third down, change of pace back.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Right... Conventional wisdom would say you are definitely onto something. It makes zero sense to stash someone on the roster that will cost you a conditional pick if he is still on the roster (after 5 or 6 weeks?) without seeing what you may have in him. That would be the definition of dumb.

IIRC he has to be on the a active ( 46) roster for 3 games

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Matt Forte is now amongst players the Bears would consider in their fire sale. Last week they said he was off limits. Could we get him on the cheap? Does this figure into Darth's hunch? We're all fairly intelligent people. I don't think it's unfathomable to believe that the Cowboys are seeking to audition CMike this week to see if they have something for the longer term with his performance being the deciding factor on whether or not to pull the trigger on Forte.

Matt Forte among players Bears would consider trading - NFL.com http://teamstre.am/1M979TH
Im not sure how doable Forte would be because of the cap hit. Dont know how space we have VS what would be needed to add him

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Gurley is healthy now and should get most of the carries this week, so Mason could be available

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
It's to early in the season to put much into these numbers. Take one big run away and I'm sure he's close to last.

The problem with Randle is he's missing the 3-4 yard drive sustaining runs, he takes to many negative plays. He either lacks the vision or the mental decisiveness to hit the zone blocks that are being provided. He needs to improve here or be the third down, change of pace back.

Most of the negative plays have been due to poor blocking. He's averaging 4.2 YP and is currently the #11 RB in YPG despite being RBBC.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Gurley is healthy now and should get most of the carries this week, so Mason could be available
Man I have wanted Mason since they drafted Gurley. Would be very excited for a Mason pickup. Young.. Talented.. Lead back type. Just what this oline needs.

Now that I'm back from dream land though, I hope we get to see a glimpse of CMike tonight.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Just watching a couple of great Dallas runners, Tony Dorsett and Emmitt Smith; a good runner watches what a good offensive line provides him, and then takes advantage of that situation fully.