"Good RBs make the Oline look good & not the reverse"

Zman5

Reaction score
At some point you have to pick an argument and stick with it.

People say Murray was made by the OL. So does that mean Emmitt was too? I wouldn't say so. But that is what the argument implies.

If anything, Emmitt made the OL. That OL was nothing until Emmitt. And none of his backups did nearly as well as he did behind that OL.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Not sure what you are getting at because I have never mentioned "average".

This is not a game played in a vacuum where a 99 Madden score player just dominates everyone.

There are matchup situations that crop up where even an "elite" player struggles.

We once had a complete bench warmer shutdown Michael Strahan for a game

It is not a stretch to think that by now, Fletcher Cox has it on Frederick, for example.

Reggie White killed most tackles, but Erik Williams would reduce him to a crying woman.

Your endorsement of the SEA defense was very tepid, "good"

It seems people are making excuses for the poor play of the GOAT OL by downplaying last year's opponents and overselling this year's.

StevenOtero

Reaction score
They may not have that one guy who is considered elite although Michael Bennett is very close and probably would've won Super Bowl MVP if Carroll hadn't gotten pass happy on the goal line. They have a group of guys who can get after the quarterback. They have a very good rotation. They get penetration. They're a big and athletic group of big guys on the defensive line. They can eat up blocks and help their linebackers. Everyone talks about the Legion of Doom, but their defensive line is as big a reason for that being of the NFL's best defensive units in the last three or four years.

Legion of Boom*

KPkR50m.jpg

RunDMC

Reaction score
Legion of Boom*

KPkR50m.jpg

Sherman is a great player, but I seriously doubt they'd be as highly touted without that defensive front. Together they make one of the best defenses in recent memory.

That's really my point in all seriousness. As great as the Seahawks defense is the Cowboys OL pushed them around the rag dolls in that game last year. So I don't wanna hear this crap about Philadelphia because we've seen the Cowboys offensive line have success against elite defensive fronts before. It's time to show up or show out. All this hype, all this talk about how they're so dominant and so good and yeah they were last year, but where the hell has that OL been this year? We need them. The only way we're gonna get through this without Tony is to dominate up front and RUN the ball. Whether it's Weeden or Cassell if we can't establish the run then we're in serious trouble. This offensive line is too talented to get pushed around by undersized fronts like the Falcons.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
Your endorsement of the SEA defense was very tepid, "good"

It seems people are making excuses for the poor play of the GOAT OL by downplaying last year's opponents and overselling this year's.

The run blocking has been troublesome to say the least. I'm not at the concerned stage yet, but if it doesn't improve this Sunday I will be very close. If it continues for another few games in a row I'll be legitimately concerned.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
If anything, Emmitt made the OL. That OL was nothing until Emmitt. And none of his backups did nearly as well as he did behind that OL.

I don't buy this either. There is an aspect of teamwork between a line and a RB, just like a QB.

Manning inspired confidence in years of poor lines in Indianapolis. There is a tradeoff. Nobody wants to look bad

Same goes for OL. The back has to put in the work to know what they do. Murray did that.

All I hear out of Randle is some sort of comparison to Murray.

Has he spent time bonding with the OL?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
The run blocking has been troublesome to say the least. I'm not at the concerned stage yet, but if it doesn't improve this Sunday I will be very close. If it continues for another few games in a row I'll be legitimately concerned.

I am concerned too, but I am more concerned about being on the same page.

This is not a one way street.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
I am concerned too, but I am more concerned about being on the same page.

This is not a one way street.

Chemistry is an issue with a new RB with a new style for sure. It's the missed blocks, missed assignments, general confusion, and mental errors that are worrying me. I'm not sure what to attribute it to. Callahan? Maybe, but I don't think he's being missed this much. Not inspired? I don't really buy that. Injuries and lack of continuity in TC and preseason? Most likely explanation I think. They just haven't had much time to practice and play together. Martin, Leary and Free missed most of the preseason. Hopefully this gets ironed out, whatever the cause is.

Zman5

Reaction score
I don't buy this either. There is an aspect of teamwork between a line and a RB, just like a QB.

Manning inspired confidence in years of poor lines in Indianapolis. There is a tradeoff. Nobody wants to look bad

Same goes for OL. The back has to put in the work to know what they do. Murray did that.

Our current line started together as a unit for the first time last year. Murray had 9 consecutive 100 yard games. Even when Romo had horrible game against SF, against a good SF defense, he went over 100 yards. That was his first time running behind the current OL.

It's not like Randle is running behind this line for the first time.

Look at all the rookie RBs who does well in their first year. They didn't need time to gel.
I think the running style of a RB and the OL scheme is more important than the gelling time.

The scheme EaGirls run is not the best for Murray's style. I don't think he'll ever do well running in that scheme.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
My gut tells me if we play Michael and he doesnt come through we trade for a HB this week or next.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Ok. So then what's wrong with Dallas' system and scheme?

I wouldnt say there is anything wrong with it. We run a blocking scheme that utilizes both man blocking and zone blocking. At this point we dont have backs that can exploit both. Randle is a zone blocking scheme back while McFadden and Michael are man blocking scheme backs

Spectre

Reaction score
That was quoted yesterday by a prominent SEC head coach & I completely agree.
One can & does definitely influence the appearance of the other, but the title is essentially false- without a doubt the quality of an oline does far more to elevate a given runningback than the other way around.

George

a legend in your own mind
Reaction score
Thats laughable, he wasn't considered a good rb until last year when we had 3 all pro OL

Agreed. Emmitt Smith was great but really great with the OL he had. Emmitt would tell you that. Sanders had to work a lot more with his OL at Detroit. Good WRs and QBs contribute to good running games, eg Michael and Troy.
Bottom line, many factors contribute to a great running game.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score

Not to mention Emmitt had one of the best blocking FB's in the game, Daryl Johnston.

cowboyuptx

Reaction score
Murray isn't that great, he has above average vision, but he's nothing too special. The Cowboys were right not to re-sign him for big money, but not so smart by not drafting a RB this year.

The Dallas OL isn't that great either, they're pretty good, but not the model of consistency, and certainly not worthy of the media hype they've received.

For a moment in time, our OL was clicking at the same time Murray was healthy and on his game in a contract season. Both Murray and our OL are overrated.

The run-game helped over the course of the season for sure, but it also wasn't always reliable... Romo was reliable! It was Romo being more efficient and converting 3rd downs that really made us.

The OL might not be the best in the NFL, but they're better than average, and certainly good enough for Romo to get the job done! I don't want to hear about RB's, that **** doesn't matter when you have Romo, Witten, and Dez... I mean I wish we had Adrian Peterson, but Tom Brady doesn't need an elite RB to win Super Bowls, and at this point in his career, neither does Tony Romo!

I just pray that we can tread water until Romo gets back... Once 9 is out there, we're good on offense............... And all this worry about RB's, will be a thing of the past......