"Good RBs make the Oline look good & not the reverse"

Kevinicus

Reaction score
It's to early in the season to put much into these numbers. Take one big run away and I'm sure he's close to last.

The problem with Randle is he's missing the 3-4 yard drive sustaining runs, he takes to many negative plays. He either lacks the vision or the mental decisiveness to hit the zone blocks that are being provided. He needs to improve here or be the third down, change of pace back.

You're assuming blocks are being provided. You'd be wrong. Based on blocking, Randle should have less than he does now, not more.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
You're assuming blocks are being provided. You'd be wrong. Based on blocking, Randle should have less than he does now, not more.

Your sample pool is skewed. Remove runs of 20 or more yards and then let's talk about his avg. He's had a couple of those in early game pre-adjustment time.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Your sample pool is skewed. Remove runs of 20 or more yards and then let's talk about his avg. He's had a couple of those in early game pre-adjustment time.

You're starting threads whining about the rbs after 3 games, and now you're using the small sample size excuse? Really. I wasn't even using stats, just my eyes where I see Randle getting good yards when there is blocking, getting yards after contact, and making something out of nothing at times.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
You're starting threads whining about the rbs after 3 games, and now you're using the small sample size excuse? Really. I wasn't even using stats, just my eyes where I see Randle getting good yards when there is blocking, getting yards after contact, and making something out of nothing at times.

A quality RB does what Randle did in the first half all game long. Atlanta crowded the box in the second half and our little ability to make something out of nothing quickly changed to just plain nothing. making something out of nothing is also getting those tough yards when adjustments are made after halftime (where most games are usually won or lost). No one cares or remembers that you came out of the box blazing if you can't finish.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
A quality RB does what Randle did in the first half all game long. Atlanta crowded the box in the second half and our little ability to make something out of nothing quickly changed to just plain nothing. making something out of nothing is also getting those tough yards when adjustments are made after halftime (where most games are usually won or lost). No one cares or remembers that you came out of the box blazing if you can't finish.

You really must think that having an offensive line is pointless. Afterall, it's all on the RB. Blocking is irrelevant.

Brooksey

Reaction score

Not assuming anything, its a fact. You're assuming his bad runs were all o-line, experts say he's missing some of the zone reads. Plenty of examples are available all over the net. Look at Randles games as a starter and you see a recurring theme.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score

So quality RBs have 200+ yards and 6 TDs.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Not assuming anything, its a fact. You're assuming his bad runs were all o-line, experts say he's missing some of the zone reads. Plenty of examples are available all over the net. Look at Randles games as a starter and you see a recurring theme.

"Experts?" Never trust that term with sports media. I'm not assuming anything, I'm using my eyes.

Brooksey

Reaction score
Most of the negative plays have been due to poor blocking. He's averaging 4.2 YP and is currently the #11 RB in YPG despite being RBBC.

Some of the negative plays are Randle being indecisive and not hitting the hole on zone reads. He may not have the mental capacity or the toughness to be the everydown back in this running scheme. Time will tell but right now he's not getting the job done through four quarters and never has proved that he can. I say prove it or go back to what he does really well. Change of pace back.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
AP
AP
AP
AP
AP
Lynch
Lynch
Lynch
Lynch
McCoy
McCoy
McCoy

I could go on

Pretty much EVERY elite RB

Do you really believe all those RBs have have elite OLs every year they put up pro bowl numbers?

They need good OLs not GREAT OLs

We have a great OL but ANY RB cannot be a pro bowler even with this OL

Our RBs are below average

McCoy has been behind a stout O-line for almost all of his career.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Some of the negative plays are Randle being indecisive and not hitting the hole on zone reads. He may not have the mental capacity or the toughness to be the everydown back in this running scheme. Time will tell but right now he's not getting the job done through four quarters and never has proved that he can. I say prove it or go back to what he does really well. Change of pace back.

You're glossing over the game situations. NY game we were playing from behind, Philly is notoriously difficult to run on, ATL stacking the box inthe 2nd. All cconsidered I think he has ran well, as has McFadden. We are not seeing the 100 yard games Murray had last year, but we have also not been in a position to feed the same amount of carries to our RBs.

Brooksey

Reaction score
"Experts?" Never trust that term with sports media. I'm not assuming anything, I'm using my eyes.

Eyes alone are not good enough. You need an understanding of the zone running scheme.

When the run was supposed to go off the centers *** and Randle hesitates, jumps outside the tackle and loses 4 yards some fans will blame the line. The line and coaches will blame Randle.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Eyes alone are not good enough. You need an understanding of the zone running scheme.

When the run was supposed to go off the centers *** and Randle hesitates, jumps outside the tackle and loses 4 yards some fans will blame the line. The line and coaches will blame Randle.

And how do you know the blocking call?

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
LOL

Why stop there? Let's just remove all of his carries to fit your agenda and we see that Randle has 0 yards this season. Yeah man he sucks.

Let me say it again. No one cares or remembers how fast you start. They remember how you finish which figures more prominently in the win loss column. Randle's breadth of work right now is that of a change of pace scatback type... Not a load carrying back that we need to do it over 4 quarters. Don't give me the McFadden crap either. The RBBC crap isn't working.

It would be incredibly foolish of us to not consider Forte given the most recent development regarding his availability.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
That was quoted yesterday by a prominent SEC head coach & I completely agree.

The Oline can have have pro bowlers at every position but without that runner they will see an average effort on the ground practically every time. This can wear in the psyche of even the most dominant of offensive lines.

The RB needs to know how to hit the hole, when to hit it, when to exhibit patience, and how to use good vision as a tool to keep the chains moving.

I was just struck by that comment because, in many ways, it parallels what we are seeing right now I'm that dynamic between our offensive line and the RBs we are tossing in there behind them. You best believe that an oline will more enthusiastically embrace a RB that is consistently moving the chains vs one that gains negative yards regularly while supplementing with the occasional long run. When those long runs are few & far between, it is detrimental to the psyche of the guys in the trenches doing work.

I strongly believe the perception of an average effort from our oline early on is directly tied to who we are lining up behind them. Those guys aren't stupid. They know a lead run with the fb manned by Clutz is destined for failure. They know that the current pool of RBs is not of the quality to sustain drives. They need a spark.

I'm hopeful that spark will finally come tomorrow with the combination of Christine Michael and Randle sharing the load. It really doesn't matter whether you go with Randle or McFadden to supplement Michael. They're both the same scatback type of player. Sadly, McFadden at his size, does indeed operate like a scatback. We already have three of those in Randle, McFadden, & Dunbar.

I thought that coach's comments were spot on. An oline does not make a rb. His perspective spits clearly in the faces of those that have crowed about how our oline made Demarco. I've always considered that a line of crap. Our "system" made Demarco and he flourished in it.

Reverse that reverse back.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
So let's see what Randle has been up against the first three weeks:

A)one game where his team was behind all game and turned the ball over three times
B)Against one of the best run defenses in football and minus the best wideout on the team
C)With a backup qb, no Bryant and missing his starting guard

Yes Randle sucks, Murray is demonstrating in Philly what the team is missing.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Dunbar is one of the team's top receivers. Then Randle and McFadden have shown abilities in the run and pass games as well. Add in a little of a pounder, already on roster...and that is a strong positional group growing now. They are already familiar with the Cowboys way and players.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
I'm hearing Michael is activated today! THANK GOODNESS! Now let's get him & Randle mixed up to create a real running game. This mirage has gotten old.