Goodbye, Terry Glenn. Hello, Amendola.

Ben_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
So it's out with the old and in with the new, is it? As in, Terry Glenn is gone and we've got a lot of young talent, though none of it really special, right?

I beg to differ.

I've watched a lot of Texas Tech football throughout my football watching career, and this is one of the most talented receivers Tech has ever had. They always run a high powered offense, so he should really shine from a statistical standpoint. But he doesn't, really.

He was overshadowed by the prototypical Crabtree who is no slouch and quite the player in his own right. But he is too much in the mold of the big receiver like T.O. or Keyshawn. We need a different kind of player, opposite of T.O., to mix it up for the offense.

Teams need guys that can strech the field, make that quick step and wiggle juking the safety and taking it 55 yards upfield for the touchdown!

If you ask me, and I like to think I sort of have an eye for talent (though many could point out I've been wrong at times), Amendola is something special for many reasons.

He's got moxie. He's got speed. He's got heart. And he's got savvy. I think he can be a guy that can make those clutch plays and clutch catches like Terry Glenn could when he'd make fans jaws drop.

I'm pulling for a few guys out there. I think our offensives system allows us to rotate many receivers. We won't have a typical number 2, number 3 receiver. That's not how we did it last year... so I hope all the guys get in the mix, like Hurd and Crayton.

But as for now, I think our best young talent is Amendola.

The below youtube should give you a pretty good idea of what kind of player he is. And if you know Tech football, you know he's got experience on offense, catching passes and making plays.

Yes, this is a highlight reel. But I thought it'd make sense to showcase his upside potentials.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-zNzpwKxEA

Here's to you, Amendola. :cheers:

Good luck on making our team.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Mornin' BnA.

I hope you're ready to argue your side of this subject because you're gonna get bombarded this morning.

Me? I think Amendola makes the team.

We shall see.

Mansta54

Reaction score
I listened to a interview with AJ and the reporter asked him which of the WR's was tough to cover. Of course he said TO and he said Hurd runs really good routes but he said that No.18 is quick in and out of his cuts and catches everything. He gave him alot of props. I thinks thats HUGE coming from a quick CB like AJ....

dooomsday

Reaction score
Mansta54;2172617 said:
I listened to a interview with AJ and the reporter asked him which of the WR's was tough to cover. Of course he said TO and he said Hurd runs really good routes but he said that No.18 is quick in and out of his cuts and catches everything. He gave him alot of props. I thinks thats HUGE coming from a quick CB like AJ....

I wonder if this got picked up? I'd like to read it...

ndanger

Reaction score
I'm just glad Drew Henson's gone.......................Mornin' Ben. ;)

Ben_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
AsthmaField;2172616 said:
Mornin' BnA.

I hope you're ready to argue your side of this subject because you're gonna get bombarded this morning.

Me? I think Amendola makes the team.

We shall see.

Oh, I hate to argue about "underdog" players. :)

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
While I do like Amendola and I believe he has a great shot to make the team, I cannot agree that, at least at this point in his young career, that he is a replacement for Glenn. I do not believe we have a single receiver on the team that is completely like Glenn.

Glenn had great hands and from what I have been reading, so does Amendola. Crayton, before breaking his finger, always had good hands so he could help replace Glenn in that area as well.

Glenn also had great speed which helped stretch the field and open up the middle for Witten and Owens. Again, from what I have read, Amendola is quick but not fast. Owens can help stretch the field but he is more dangerous catching the ball in the middle of the field on a slant or crossing pattern and then showing his burst.

I think the only real receiver with the speed and a chance to make the team is Miles Austin. His biggest problem is his hands. I have read several comments by coaches that say he has improved but it will take live games to figure that one out. I only worry that with congestion at the receiver position and more options for kick returner that Austin may not make the team.

Glenn was also great at quick slants and turns and this is something that Amendola seems to do real well. As fun as he is to watch and excited I am to see him play in a game, we do need to realize that not every short white receiver with quick cutting speed is going to be a Wes Welker.

All of that being said, I do believe Amendola has a great chance to make the team and I bet he will be a lot of fun to watch this preseason. :D :D

-Reality

ChrisCanty99

Reaction score
You can't put Amendola in the same category as Terry Glenn. A #1 pick, the best receiver on his college team, with speed to burn, who was a solid #1 WR throughout most of his pro career.

Amendola might be a very nice #3 WR or a capable #2. That isn't so bad. Hope he makes the team.

Mansta54

Reaction score
dooomsday;2172620 said:
I wonder if this got picked up? I'd like to read it...

I think I heard it on the Michael Irvin show. I listen and read so much Cowboys stuff that I can't remember...

dooomsday

Reaction score
Mansta54;2172629 said:
I think I heard it on the Michael Irvin show. I listen and read so much Cowboys stuff that I can't remember...

Thanks. I'll look for it.

When CBs like AJ discuss who is tough to cover and who gets in and out of their routes/cuts best- thats a great indication!

Better inside info than some blogger!

Ben_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
Reality;2172625 said:
While I do like Amendola and I believe he has a great shot to make the team, I cannot agree that, at least at this point in his young career, that he is a replacement for Glenn. I do not believe we have a single receiver on the team that is completely like Glenn.

Glenn had great hands and from what I have been reading, so does Amendola. Crayton, before breaking his finger, always had good hands so he could help replace Glenn in that area as well.

Glenn also had great speed which helped stretch the field and open up the middle for Witten and Owens. Again, from what I have read, Amendola is quick but not fast. Owens can help stretch the field but he is more dangerous catching the ball in the middle of the field on a slant or crossing pattern and then showing his burst.

I think the only real receiver with the speed and a chance to make the team is Miles Austin. His biggest problem is his hands. I have read several comments by coaches that say he has improved but it will take live games to figure that one out. I only worry that with congestion at the receiver position and more options for kick returner that Austin may not make the team.

Glenn was also great at quick slants and turns and this is something that Amendola seems to do real well. As fun as he is to watch and excited I am to see him play in a game, we do need to realize that not every short white receiver with quick cutting speed is going to be a Wes Welker.

All of that being said, I do believe Amendola has a great chance to make the team and I bet he will be a lot of fun to watch this preseason. :D :D

-Reality

I don't see him as a replacement for Glenn at this point, but I do think he can bring some of the same things Glenn brought to the team when she was here.

He doesn't have that quick speed Terry had, but I think Amendola has a second gear. No, I'm not saying he's Wes Welker. But I do believe he has similar traits as Wes.

My opinion of Tech's program has more to do with my liking of him than anything. He won't be an every down player, but when we have three on the field he'd be a great guy to have out there, IMO. In the meantime, I think Hurd and Crayton rotate... and I think Austin squeeks on the squad because we keep 6 WRs this year--due to all of this young developing talent at receiver.

I'm a Longhorn fan through and through, but my 2nd favorite team is Texas Tech. And this guy can make some absolute stunning plays and magnificent grabs. He was overshadowed by Crabtree, who I'd also love to have. I think both will be good players in the NFL.

Wreck 'em, Tech!

Mansta54

Reaction score
dooomsday;2172631 said:
Thanks. I'll look for it.

When CBs like AJ discuss who is tough to cover and who gets in and out of their routes/cuts best- thats a great indication!

Better inside info than some blogger!

Oh no doubt!!! Check ESPN.COM, click on radio, then PODCAST, then LOCAL and look for Irvins show at the bottom...

dooomsday

Reaction score
Ben_n_austin;2172611 said:
So it's out with the old and in with the new, is it? As in, Terry Glenn is gone and we've got a lot of young talent, though none of it really special, right?

If you recall Jeremy Uhrban was one of our last cuts last year. And that was with Glenn future still unknown. These young WRs are all great in theory but with the lights on will they make plays? Only 2 can be counted on.

So may the best man win! We have plenty of room for what Amendola could do in the slot. With TO and Wit covered, we need guys who can get OPEN and CATCH the ball to keep the chains moving. I really dont care that he isnt 6'2 and doent "look" like TO.

Mansta54

Reaction score
dooomsday;2172637 said:
If you recall Jeremy Uhrban was one of our last cuts last year. And that was with Glenn future still unknown. These young WRs are all great in theory but with the lights on will they make plays? Only 2 can be counted on.

So may the best man win! We have plenty of room for what Amendola could do in the slot. With TO and Wit covered, we need guys who can get OPEN and CATCH the ball to keep the chains moving. I really dont care that he isnt 6'2 and doent "look" like TO.

Exactly, I couldn't agree more. I think he makes the team and gets some PT. I've heard JJ, AJ, TO, WP, and Irvin speak very highly of this cat. They've been extremely impressed with him. I definately see him on the roster...

Ben_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
ChrisCanty99;2172627 said:
You can't put Amendola in the same category as Terry Glenn. A #1 pick, the best receiver on his college team, with speed to burn, who was a solid #1 WR throughout most of his pro career.

Amendola might be a very nice #3 WR or a capable #2. That isn't so bad. Hope he makes the team.

Glenn wasn't going to be the #1 WR here regardless because T.O. is the so-called #1 WR. But our offense doesn't have the pecking order. After T.O., they're all at different points throughout Romo's read. They even designed the lingo for this type of offense.

So, Amendola doesn't have to be our numero uno to contribute some of the things that Glenn may have been able to had he stayed. He's gone.

I just think Amendola fits the chemistry of this team, because he's scrappy and nothing like T.O. Whitten, Hurn and Crayton. He'd be great in 3 WR sets....

Let's not forget, draft position isn't everything. I think Tashard Choice can add as much to this team as Felix Jones.

Call me crazy. I've been called worse. :)

Ben_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
Reality;2172625 said:

-Reality

For you, Reality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGorYSLFwzk&feature=related

tunahelper

Reaction score
Good slot guy,maybe? DA is replacing Glenn is getting ahead of ourselves.

PosterChild

Reaction score
Siren_animated.gif
Newsflash: To the extent that DA brings slot skills--quick cuts, precise timing routes, superior hands--the comparison's are favorable. Obviously he lacks TG's elite speed, but makes up for with determination, passion and, dare I say, moxie.

I think some of us may have missed this note the first time fr MacMahon--

(DMN Blog Fri 8-1) Young WR Report: Danny Amendola is not just a media darling

I'm not comfortable with the Danny Amendola/Wes Welker comparison. It's unfair to compare an undrafted kid to a Pro Bowler, even though there are some similarities between the short, quick Texas Tech products.

However, it's a comparison you keep hearing. T.O., who might not even be aware that Amendola and Welker share an alma mater, said yesterday that Amendola was a "waterbug" who reminded him of Welker.

"He's definitely shown that he can play at this level," T.O. said.

Wade Phillips raved about Amendola's ability to make cuts without slowing down, which the old coach called a "special trait."

"I think he'll be competitive to make the team," Phillips said. "You can see that right now."

I'd be willing to bet that Amendola will be on an NFL roster this season. It remains to be seen whether it'll be the Cowboys'.

It's time for evryone to come around and embrace the inevitable prospect of a final roster which includes Danny Amendola. He'll need to perform well in the exhibition games but if continues as he has in the TC/OTAs, he's in.

Next stop: The White House.

superpunk

Reaction score
I don't know that he has the ability to do what Welker does, because Welker at least had the athletic ability to be drafted pretty highly, but he's definitely a guy I'm ready to root for on special teams. Sam Hurd 2.0