News: Goodell: Sunday Ticket is heading for a streaming service, decision coming this year

RS12

Reaction score
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...service-with-decision-coming-later-this-year/

The Commissioner has confirmed one of the worst-kept secrets in the NFL.

Appearing on CNBC, Roger Goodell said that Sunday Ticket will exit DirecTV after the 2022 season.

Goodell said that Sunday Ticket will end up with a streaming service, and that a decision will be made this fall.

CNBC recently reported that Apple, Disney, and Amazon have made bids for the out-of-market viewing package, with the three corporate behemoths waiting for the NFL’s next move.

As also reported by CNBC, the contracts between the NFL and CBS/Fox prevent the DirecTV successor from significantly slashing the $300 per year price for the package. This protects the companies that have paid big money for the ability to put games on the local affiliates available in a given area.
Since we are stuck with Amazon prime for Thursday nights in a couple months which I already have, I am hoping that's where it ends up. Should be some kind of discount for already having prime.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because it’s easy and no streaming or buffering interruptions . If you have 5 TV’s broadcasting 5 different games I’d need 5 laptops to stream each game. That’s too much work for my entertainment.

NFL ST Max, you can have the option of watching 4 games or 8 games at the same time. If you have a big enough TV it is pretty cool. Then you can cycle through which one has the sound.
I wish you could customize which games are on which channel. I think they are on 701 and 702.

As sometimes there are 4 games on I want to see, and care not so much about the others, but they have 2 or 3 on the 4 channel station and 1 or 2 for the other game. So I end up watching the 8 game station. no big deal though.

It is fantastic for no Dallas games. Then I can keep an eye on the rival teams. Then watch Dallas on full screen when they play.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Free streams online it is for me still. They won't be getting a dime from me and haven't in years.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Think about all of the vices or crap you waste or blow money on throughout the year from cigs, alcohol, drugs , junk food , bar hopping, etc.

And what’s your greatest entertainment for 4 months of the year, for most probably football . And you cant budget $300 a year to have access to every game . I’d argue priorities are out of whack if you love the NFL and want to watch every game.

TV’s are very affordable. By a couple more to add for football season so you can access multiple games at one time . It’s the ultimate home viewing experience.

Man this is so true.

When I had my season tickets, and people gave me a hard time over it. (Though the first 5 years of the 10 I had them I split wit ha friend).
And with PSL's, tickets (2 seats) and parking it was almost $10K a year (had fantastic seats).
So we sat down and figured up just that. they played gold every week, and I said to them, be truthful how many balls you lose and must replace. Equipment, green fees, then all the cigarettes they smoke. (Which I never smoked).
They paid almost and some more than I did, so they never said another word. Well at half my cost of $5K. When I had them outright I worked out off town so sold many games, so I actually made money. Heck, some of them spent almost as much as I did even at the full $10K.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would pay $300.00 But I don't want to watch one damn Commerical! I hate all ADS. AND THEY PLAY THEM OVER AND OVER AGAIN! I personally believe that the replay was expanded to the game just to allow for more commercial breaks.

Just flip to a different game. though sometimes it is odd, with 6 different games it seems they all go too commercial at the same time. :laugh:

NFL ST Max has an option, you can have 4 or 8 games on at the same time. Then switch between the games for sound. so you can see which one has no commercials on.

Creeper

Reaction score
I actually don't like any of the 3 companies mentioned, but I already have Prime so if they get Sunday Ticket, I may sign up again depending on the offering. I will not subscribe to Disney under any circumstances. I feel almost the same way about Apple but I'd have to see the deal first.

If I were the NFL I would see if I could squeeze more money out of multiple streaming services than I could get out of one.

But if I was a streaming service, I would be very careful about signing a deal with the NFL. I would do my due diligence on DirecTV and why they could not make money on the Sunday Ticket. The obvious answer might be because DTV made subscribers get their satellite TV service as well, but if DTV thought they could make money on Sunday Ticket by streaming it, why didn't they? They already had the streaming infrastructure. They did offer streaming only for a while then offered it only to certain customers. DTV lost a lot of money on Sunday Ticket which is why they chose not to bid on the deal again. For whoever gets the Sunday Ticket next, I just do not think they will get enough new subscribers to make it profitable. Maybe the NFL will offer the Ticket internationally to get new customers overseas. But I am sure European and Asian customers will not pay $300 US for American football. Maybe Americans living overseas will pay it, but that is a small market to draw from.

In any case, I have a feeling Goodell is going to give the Sunday Ticket to Disney, the smallest provider of the three.

I grew up a Cowboys fan when they were almost never on TV. I did not get to watch most games live. I had the Sunday Ticket when it was first offered by DTV, but I dropped it a few years ago because of the cost of the ticket and the subscription to DTV which I never watched anyway. I could not get a signal from their high def satellites. The last few years I managed to get through the season missing some games and I can survive missing a few more each year.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I actually don't like any of the 3 companies mentioned, but I already have Prime so if they get Sunday Ticket, I may sign up again depending on the offering. I will not subscribe to Disney under any circumstances. I feel almost the same way about Apple but I'd have to see the deal first.

If I were the NFL I would see if I could squeeze more money out of multiple streaming services than I could get out of one.

But if I was a streaming service, I would be very careful about signing a deal with the NFL. I would do my due diligence on DirecTV and why they could not make money on the Sunday Ticket. The obvious answer might be because DTV made subscribers get their satellite TV service as well, but if DTV thought they could make money on Sunday Ticket by streaming it, why didn't they? They already had the streaming infrastructure. They did offer streaming only for a while then offered it only to certain customers. DTV lost a lot of money on Sunday Ticket which is why they chose not to bid on the deal again. For whoever gets the Sunday Ticket next, I just do not think they will get enough new subscribers to make it profitable. Maybe the NFL will offer the Ticket internationally to get new customers overseas. But I am sure European and Asian customers will not pay $300 US for American football. Maybe Americans living overseas will pay it, but that is a small market to draw from.

In any case, I have a feeling Goodell is going to give the Sunday Ticket to Disney, the smallest provider of the three.

I grew up a Cowboys fan when they were almost never on TV. I did not get to watch most games live. I had the Sunday Ticket when it was first offered by DTV, but I dropped it a few years ago because of the cost of the ticket and the subscription to DTV which I never watched anyway. I could not get a signal from their high def satellites. The last few years I managed to get through the season missing some games and I can survive missing a few more each year.

Giving ST to Disney is the same as giving it to ABC / ESPN, since they all are owned together. ESPN can add it to one of their stations as opposed to having to have an app.
But I hope the do not get it as well.
I don't like the idea of it going away from DTV, since I been getting it for free. But I think they rather give it for free, than to lose customers altogether.
I doubt I will pay for it through some other provider, since I get the Cowboys games anyway. But I do like watching other games, such as the Bengals, or more interesting games than on local TV.

Depends on the cost and set up though. And any reliable free streaming on the internet. However, I am no one to sit and watch on my computer all day. I like my couch or even my bed to sit it and watch.

Creeper

Reaction score
$300 divided by 17 weeks = $ 17.65 a week .

Quite a bargain for your full NFL fix.

About 6 pack of beer and pack of cigs :)

The fact is, DTV has been offering Sunday Ticket for a while and has been unable to sell more subscriptions to its own customers let alone new subscribers. People are making a cost analysis and for many $300 a year is too much to pay to watch NFL football with commercial breaks.

Also, what is the market of fans rooting for teams not televised in their area? I root for Dallas and live in NJ. The Cowboys are on TV here at least 8 times per year here, some years even more. I know there are a lot of fans like me rooting for Dallas, but for other teams not so much. I also realize some teams are not on national television as much as Dallas, but still, watching 10 games per year on Sunday Ticket is $30 per game. The NFL with Thursday night games, Sunday night games and sometimes 2 Monday night games, as well as Saturday games late in the season and games overseas, is chipping away at the need for fans of teams outside their area to get Sunday ticket.

The real question is, what is the total market for die hard NFL fans willing to pay $300 per year to watch all the games played on Sunday? Did DirecTV get an answer to that question, and is that why they chose not to bid on the Sunday Ticket again?

Creeper

Reaction score
Giving ST to Disney is the same as giving it to ABC / ESPN, since they all are owned together. ESPN can add it to one of their stations as opposed to having to have an app.
But I hope the do not get it as well.
I don't like the idea of it going away from DTV, since I been getting it for free. But I think they rather give it for free, than to lose customers altogether.
I doubt I will pay for it through some other provider, since I get the Cowboys games anyway. But I do like watching other games, such as the Bengals, or more interesting games than on local TV.

Depends on the cost and set up though. And any reliable free streaming on the internet. However, I am no one to sit and watch on my computer all day. I like my couch or even my bed to sit it and watch.

Are you suggesting that ESPN would offer it to cable providers to carry as a premium channel offering? That's an interesting idea.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
$300 divided by 17 weeks = $ 17.65 a week .

Quite a bargain for your full NFL fix.

About 6 pack of beer and pack of cigs :)

Actually 18 weeks now with the bye week still. $16.67 per week. :D

Yeah, cut back on a few other items, and it pays for itself. Then after the season, you are out of the habit of those other items. You just save that $$$ for the next 34 weeks and save $566.78. :thumbup:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Are you suggesting that ESPN would offer it to cable providers to carry as a premium channel offering? That's an interesting idea.

Yes. But it would need to be in the contract for the length go the deal. As many fans would be pissed off if they pay for it then the cable company cuts the channel in a dispute as they do some local stations. But I guess it would be a long term contract the length of the contract with the NFL.

Creeper

Reaction score
Yes. But it would need to be in the contract for the length go the deal. As many fans would be pissed off if they pay for it then the cable company cuts the channel in a dispute as they do some local stations. But I guess it would be a long term contract the length of the contract with the NFL.

Still an interesting idea, but will the NFL contract allow it? Can ESPN pay Verizon, for example, to carry channels that rebroadcast NFL games?

glimmerman

Reaction score
Since directv has streaming now I would not be surprised if NFL allows all of them to pay some money and allow them to all have streaming packages. Just gets the NFL out there even more. Some just wants to pay more and have it all to them selves but already allowing Amazon to have some games and Fox and CBS and ESPN. Just get some from up front money from disney and Amazon and espn and directv. Lol. Let them make up there own packages and which ever has the best prices or packages will get more business.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The fact is, DTV has been offering Sunday Ticket for a while and has been unable to sell more subscriptions to its own customers let alone new subscribers. People are making a cost analysis and for many $300 a year is too much to pay to watch NFL football with commercial breaks.

Also, what is the market of fans rooting for teams not televised in their area? I root for Dallas and live in NJ. The Cowboys are on TV here at least 8 times per year here, some years even more. I know there are a lot of fans like me rooting for Dallas, but for other teams not so much. I also realize some teams are not on national television as much as Dallas, but still, watching 10 games per year on Sunday Ticket is $30 per game. The NFL with Thursday night games, Sunday night games and sometimes 2 Monday night games, as well as Saturday games late in the season and games overseas, is chipping away at the need for fans of teams outside their area to get Sunday ticket.

The real question is, what is the total market for die hard NFL fans willing to pay $300 per year to watch all the games played on Sunday? Did DirecTV get an answer to that question, and is that why they chose not to bid on the Sunday Ticket again?
I can’t imagine missing any Cowboy games. I haven’t missed a game in almost 60 years . That’s as far back as I can recall.

And I watch up to 5 games at once not counting Redzone so commercial breaks isn’t an issue.

As long as there are Sports Bars and fanactics like me watching multiple games spontaneously at home there will be a demand.

No doubt the added broadcast and streaming methods has cut down on demand but it’s not because fans don’t want to watch them, just more options .

Last edited:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Still an interesting idea, but will the NFL contract allow it? Can ESPN pay Verizon, for example, to carry channels that rebroadcast NFL games?

Yeah, I am sure they NFL will want to control it somehow, until they figure out how to make more $$$ from it.
Goodell did mention something about an NFL+ channel or app they want to get going before the season starts. But would not elaborate on any details.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Since directv has streaming now I would not be surprised if NFL allows all of them to pay some money and allow them to all have streaming packages. Just gets the NFL out there even more. Some just wants to pay more and have it all to them selves but already allowing Amazon to have some games and Fox and CBS and ESPN. Just get some from up front money from disney and Amazon and espn and directv. Lol. Let them make up there own packages and which ever has the best prices or packages will get more business.
Yea I get Direct TV free with unlimited data usage with my AT&T cell coverage .

If you’re a Diehard fan AT&T and Direct TV is the best coverage.

I can run one Direct TV genie receiver for 3 different TV’s watching 3 different games .

I grew up with 12 foot mesh satellite which anything broadcast I had access to. The dish was about $2500. And had Direct TV since those were banned. Still the best service for sports fans with not only NFL ticket but MLB, NBA and NCAA. Not counting all of the Fox sports networks. And I’d argue best HD picture as well.

Last edited:

glimmerman

Reaction score
I can’t imagine missing any Cowboy games. I haven’t missed a game in almost 60 years . I plan my life around them.

And I watch up to 5 games at once not counting Redzone so commercial breaks isn’t an issue.

As long as there are Sports Bars and fanactics like me watching multiple games spontaneously at home there will be a demand.

No doubt the added broadcast and streaming methods has cut down on demand but it’s not because fans don’t want to watch them, just more options .
Me too. My family knows to plan around me. We eat early on Thanksgiving. And nobody calls me during game time. Or if they do it just rings. I told them and my wife all I ask is let me watch my game. If there is a honey do list give it Saturday. I maybe mowing lawn at 11pm Saturday night but come game time I am in my jersey with drink in front of the TV..

glimmerman

Reaction score
Yea I get Direct TV free with unlimited data usuals with my AT&T cell coverage .

I can run one Direct TV genie receiver for 3 different TV’s watching 3 different games .
Same here. Att unlimited. But canceled directv last month. I only need ticket for about 2 games a year. Gonna wing it this year. Plus they let me keep my equipment because it’s old. I can call anytime and they will start it up. Said I could have ticket free this year because they hosed me last year. If I am going to miss a game it will be later in the year and if they are playing well they will show the game.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yea I get Direct TV free with unlimited data usuals with my AT&T cell coverage .

I use the multi channels options, but at time when I want the full screen for a game, I will also put one on my laptop and / or one on my iPad. Plus on my TV.
I had AT&T for my cell service for 20 years or more, but a few years ago as they would not reduce my fees, I was added to my ex-wifes plan on Sprint, now t-mobile, and saved me $65 a month. I can't tell any different in service. But I get free Hulu, and canceled my paid Hulu plan, and I get free 50GB hotspot per month. That comes in handy for when AT&T internet went out. But I have AT&T fiber now, and it has been much more reliable, though I can't tell any difference in overall speed.
But they did get me on a pan for long term customer, for $25 a month as it was $50 a month.