Goose - "I'd be surprised if the Cowboys DON'T go DL"

marchetta

Reaction score
Goose believes we'll take a very hard look at taking Poe with our 1st pick. He said, this morning on The Ticket, that Poe will go between #8 - #18. He said Poe is a FREAK of an athlete, and is the best DL in the draft, and would be surprised if Dallas doesn't go DL at #14. Says, DeCastro is the safest pick in the draft, and will be a Pro-Bowler by his 2nd season. Says it would be a reach to draft a guard at #14 even if he's an elite guard. Says DL will go fast in draft, and we can get an OL in the 3rd or 4th rds. Says DL is a premium position and won't be around after the 1st rd. Dallas needs secondary help, but they can find guys at OL and DB later in the draft. If they want/need a DL man, they have to get them early in the draft. And, Poe should be there for them.

JackWagon

Reaction score
Ingram or poe ...

definately should pick defensive front 7 at #14 ... but im just a fan ... *shrug*

DFWJC

Reaction score
There is some real talent this year on the D-Line, so I understand what he's saying.

No reaching though...please.

RS12

Reaction score
I think the three guys they are looking at around where they pick are Ingram, Perry and DeCastro. I think Ingram will be gone. I dont think they take Poe at 14. So the question is do you take Perry over DeCastro?

DBOY3141

Reaction score
I agree. Our defense is bad...very bad. If we could add Carr in FA, then get a dominant DL or LB in the draft we would be on the way.

We can go guard in the 2nd with Zietler (sp) or the kid from Iowa State.

I still believe they have faith in Nagy and Arkin to man one guard spot.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Some of this may be settled before the draft with FA pickups.
Hopefully

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
marchetta;4432648 said:
Goose believes we'll take a very hard look at taking Poe with our 1st pick. He said, this morning on The Ticket, that Poe will go between #8 - #18. He said Poe is a FREAK of an athlete, and is the best DL in the draft, and would be surprised if Dallas doesn't go DL at #14. Says, DeCastro is the safest pick in the draft, and will be a Pro-Bowler by his 2nd season. Says it would be a reach to draft a guard at #14 even if he's an elite guard. Says DL will go fast in draft, and we can get an OL in the 3rd or 4th rds. Says DL is a premium position and won't be around after the 1st rd. Dallas needs secondary help, but they can find guys at OL and DB later in the draft. If they want/need a DL man, they have to get them early in the draft. And, Poe should be there for them.

Poe is certainly growing on me; no pun intended. He's size/speed ratio reminds me of Halgati Nata from B'More. I think George Young's quote of the 'Planet Theory' is correct, "Only so many men on planet Earth are given immense size and elite athleticism, and when one comes along you must take one." Clearly he influenced Parcells draft philosophy.

Poe is a prime example; 346lb and runs a sub 5.0 forty and benched 225lb 44 times. I've been a DeCastro homer; but I would pass on DeCastro and draft Poe. Guys this big and fast don't come alone every year. Think how valuable Nata is to B'More and Wilfork is to the Pats. I'd take him at 14 and not look back.

marchetta

Reaction score
Dough Boy;4432666 said:
Poe is certainly growing on me; no pun intended. He's size/speed ratio reminds me of Halgati Nata from B'More. I think George Young's quote of the 'Planet Theory' is correct, "Only so many men on planet Earth are given immense size and elite athleticism, and when one comes along you must take one." Clearly he influenced Parcells draft philosophy.

Poe is a prime example; 346lb and runs a sub 5.0 forty and benched 225lb 44 times. I've been a DeCastro homer; but I would pass on DeCastro and draft Poe. Guys this big and fast don't come alone every year. Think how valuable Nata is to B'More and Wilfork is to the Pats. I'd take him at 14 and not look back.

I agree with everything you said. BTW, Goose also mentioned that some team(s) had Poe running 4.7 40. Now, that's unreal!

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
No thanks. Poe is haynesworth part 2. Lazy on the field.

ringmaster

Reaction score
Gooselin is a double standard idiot how on one he could say that DeCastro will be a elite guard but if Dallas selects him at 14 then he would be a reach because of his manlove for Poe, and he had a fantastic combine for a DT if they select either guy I wouldn't have any problem.
marchetta;4432648 said:

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Well Goose is also on record saying he doesn't think a guard is worth the pick, so this has far more to do with his dislike for guard than anything else.

RS12

Reaction score
TheCount;4432698 said:
Well Goose is also on record saying he doesn't think a guard is worth the pick, so this has far more to do with his dislike for guard than anything else.

OTOH he said he is the surest thing in the draft and a pro bowler in 2 years.

Gaede

Reaction score
DBOY3141;4432661 said:
I agree. Our defense is bad...very bad. If we could add Carr in FA, then get a dominant DL or LB in the draft we would be on the way.

We can go guard in the 2nd with Zietler (sp) or the kid from Iowa State.

I still believe they have faith in Nagy and Arkin to man one guard spot.

That's what I'd like to see us do as well.

Big drop in talent from the top DL/LB to the second rounders

Not so much from DeCastro to the other guards.

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
marchetta;4432683 said:
I agree with everything you said. BTW, Goose also mentioned that some team(s) had Poe running 4.7 40. Now, that's unreal!

Given his size, that is sick. If you want to improve the pass rush up the middle; this guy will push the pocket and not allow QB to step up in the pocket. Now Ware and Spencer will be able to turn the corner and the QB will be a sitting duck. You line him up next to Ratliff and opposite Ware. Who do you double? He will also help the DB's. To me, the Def Front is one player away and I like this guys skill set. I'm saying all this and I'm a Ingram fan, but this guy can change your defense overnight. He could play NT or DE in the 3-4 given his skill set.

What is not to like?

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Teague31;4432695 said:
No thanks. Poe is haynesworth part 2. Lazy on the field.

That is what scares me about him.

As one guy said...sure big guys will take plays off, but he took more than normal.

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;4432710 said:
That is what scares me about him.

As one guy said...sure big guys will take plays off, but he took more than normal.

Who do you like?

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dough Boy;4432716 said:
Who do you like?

I like Decastro as our pick.

Defensively I like Kuechly (sp?) but I have feeling that Hightower is the guy the cowboys will take if they go defensive with the first pick.

I think they like his leadership skills. I think they like the idea that he has football smarts and some called him the coach on the field for the d side of the ball and I think they like him because they can see him being a thumper LB but also possibly a 3-4 OLB which gives them versatility in Ryan's defense.

I have no insider info on this, it is all a gut feeling but I think that is who they like if they go defense.

johnnyd

Reaction score
RS12;4432704 said:
OTOH he said he is the surest thing in the draft and a pro bowler in 2 years.

i know . give me a probowler in round 1 i dont care where he is drafted 1-32.