Goose - "I'd be surprised if the Cowboys DON'T go DL"

burmafrd

Reaction score
Doomsday101;4432813 said:
Hell QB is one of the most important let’s just take Tannehill over DeCastro. To me that is what this looks like, hey don't take the elite player take a so so player because at least he is not a G.

If you take DeCastro you do it because you think as a football player he is better than the other players in that slot. If it is all about the position then you can easily end up with a player that never measure up.

I'm not looking at these players just within this draft but vs players in recent drafts. Does anyone think this group of DL players measure up to recent players?

any guys like Suh this year? NO.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Goose is good at his top 100 because he gets info from everyone.

By himself he is nothing special at all. I tune him out anytime he says "I think"

Doomsday101

Reaction score
burmafrd;4432834 said:
any guys like Suh this year? NO.

I don't think this year DL crop is even as good as last season. I think people get wrapped up in position vs talent. Getting a G is not good value? It is good value if you end up with a perennial pro bowl player.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
burmafrd;4432833 said:
glenn will not be as good a guard. Book that. he is too big to do a lot of the things that Red Ball likes to do.

Such as?

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
burmafrd;4432833 said:
glenn will not be as good a guard. Book that. he is too big to do a lot of the things that Red Ball likes to do.
After all the talk about being to small in the middle. :rolleyes:

cowboysooner

Reaction score
Doomsday101;4432813 said:
Hell QB is one of the most important let’s just take Tannehill over DeCastro. To me that is what this looks like, hey don't take the elite player take a so so player because at least he is not a G.

I am saying you have to make sure the defensive tackle, lt or pass rusher is not elite before you take an elite guard.

Positional value is real. Nobody is taking the best strong safety, fullback or slot receiver in the 1st round. Teams rarely take a guard in the top 20. DeCastro is a great football player but even he will at best an Alan Fanaca and not an athletic freak like Nicks.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
cowboysooner;4432852 said:
I am saying you have to make sure the defensive tackle, lt or pass rusher is not elite before you take an elite guard.

Positional value is real. Nobody is taking the best strong safety, fullback or slot receiver in the 1st round. Teams rarely take a guard in the top 20. DeCastro is a great football player but even he will at best an Alan Fanaca and not an athletic freak like Nicks.

I don't know if DeCastro will be better than Nicks or not.

I don't disagree that if you had a jaw dropping pass rusher sitting there that you don't take him but show me the jaw dropping pass rusher? Taking an elite player is important more so than just the position. I don't think our views are that far off in terms of position is important but taking a DL player because he plays the DL makes no sense.

DFWJC

Reaction score
cowboysooner;4432805 said:
One of the best ways to value to positions is to look at the $ paid to the players at that position who are on non-rookie contracts and to also look at the career expectancy of that position. The average dt makes far more than the average og. The top dt makes far more than the top og.

There is positional value to building a team. However, you should take an elite og rather than a functional or good corner, dt or passrusher. But if you have rated Poe, Kirkpatrick or Upshaw as an elite player you should take them over an elite guard.

There are some things that you can so rarely buy in free agency that you must take them: qb, LT, pass rusher, war daddy dt. Over the past 5 years, less than 3 of those guys have hit free agency- not qb's, no LT's, Jared Allen (trade), Peppers, and Haynesworth. This year there is 1- Mario Williams. You must draft these positions.
Well put.

jamesdojr

Reaction score
I agree totally with Teague31.

Sure, let's pass on an outstanding football player who plays with passion and intensity (DeCastro)............ for a guy who is a pretty good football player but underachieves because he is lazy (Poe).

Just what the Cowboys need.... another lazy overrated guy who has no passion for the game.

All because he ran fast in his underwear.

DeCastro is a hard worker who plays with a mean streak - AND HE'S OUTSTANDING....

Teague31;4432695 said:
No thanks. Poe is haynesworth part 2. Lazy on the field.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
jamesdojr;4432867 said:

Sure, let's pass on an outstanding football player who plays with passion and intensity (DeCastro)............ for a guy who is a pretty good football player but underachieves because he is lazy (Poe).

Just what the Cowboys need.... another lazy overrated guy who has no passion for the game.

DeCastro is a hard worker who plays with a mean streak - AND HE'S OUTSTANDING....

Who says Poe is lazy and over-rated?
He played for a handful of coaches in his time at Memphis and split schemes between NT and DT. He got in 30 starts and is just now 21 years old.
He was voted defensive player of the year and a team captain by his own teammates.

Compare him to DeCastro? OK but DeCastro played 4 years of college football. 1 as a scout team redshirt kid. So basically think of the numbers Poe would have with one more collegiate season under his belt?

Had Poe went to Bama instead of Memphis he would have red-shirted and spent another year in college. But he'd also end up a top 5 pick provided he stayed healthy.

jjktkk

Reaction score
Teague31;4432771 said:
So we're really going to draft a gut cause of his workout? Mike Mamula had a great combine too.

Really bad comparison imo. Mamula was a workout warrior, but light in the pants. Poe is a 346 pund athlete that has a chance to dominate because of his size and elite athleticism.

RS12

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4432849 said:

See what I posted on the maybe DeCastro is a risk thread from the Blogging the Boys write up. Spells it out pretty well.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
TheCount;4432698 said:
Well Goose is also on record saying he doesn't think a guard is worth the pick, so this has far more to do with his dislike for guard than anything else.

How is a 'sure-thing' 'Pro Bowler in his second year' any sort of a 'reach' at #14?

This 'logic' makes zero sense and makes Gosselin look like a fool.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hope they go DL. I wanted a DL last year. So it would be nice if they actually address that.

Looks like they're going to push hard in FA for secondary so I'm not as concerned about that.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4432889 said:
Goose is a moron. Secondary and OL is a bigger need than DL.

:rolleyes:

You didn't understand what he was saying, man. Go back and read it again.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
stasheroo;4432901 said:
How is a 'sure-thing' 'Pro Bowler in his second year' any sort of a 'reach' at #14?

read the friggin article.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
stasheroo;4432901 said:

He didn't say DeCastro at #14 is a reach.. again, go back and read again.

He's simply saying that looking at this draft and our team needs and positional value.. if you consider all those things, if there is a stud DL in this draft you should take him over a stud OG. DL isn't a very deep class in this draft and its a premium position in a 34 D. He's also saying there will be quality OG's and CB's available later on, but not many quality DL after the first round. It makes perfect sense if you understand what he's trying to say. We could draft a stud DL with our first round pick and still end up with a very good CB or OG in the second round.

If we go OG in the first round, the chances of ending up with a good DL in the second or third rounds is slim to none. Better to get that game changer on the DL and look for a playmaker at CB in the second round. Boykin, Hosely, etc..

Hoofbite

Reaction score
TheCount;4432698 said:
Well Goose is also on record saying he doesn't think a guard is worth the pick, so this has far more to do with his dislike for guard than anything else.

RS12;4432704 said:
OTOH he said he is the surest thing in the draft and a pro bowler in 2 years.

Yeah, his reasoning for not taken a guaranteed Pro Bowler is about as dumb as it gets.

Sticking to "tradition" and not spending high on a G because that's how it's always been done.

JakeCamp12

Reaction score
jamesdojr;4432867 said:

I prefer that my DLinemen have a high motor versus being tagged as lazy in college. Didn't we already miss on all of these athletic players in the past that never panned out??? Guys like AOA, Stanback and others...

Give me the guy that can start day one and fill a position on this line with Free and Smith. That is 3 of the 5 positions on the line nailed down, I can live with it.