Goose - "I'd be surprised if the Cowboys DON'T go DL"

marchetta

Reaction score
ringmaster;4432696 said:
Gooselin is a double standard idiot how on one he could say that DeCastro will be a elite guard but if Dallas selects him at 14 then he would be a reach because of his manlove for Poe, and he had a fantastic combine for a DT if they select either guy I wouldn't have any problem.

It has nothing to do with his "love" for Poe. Goose absolutely LOVES DeCastro. He calls him the safest/surest pick in the entire draft. He says he's an elite Guard and will be a walk-in starter and Pro Bowler by his 2nd season. He does devalue the Guard position though. He says Dallas has many other needs at "premium" positions (ie. DL and DB). Says, that if Dallas is going to use a high pick, they'd be better off using it on a player at a premium position. So, when it comes to DL and DB @ #14 the highest ranking player at those position who may be there is Poe. He believes Poe will go as high as #8, but may be there for us @ #14. That being said... I like DeCastro so much, I would love for us to pick him.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
marchetta;4432728 said:
It has nothing to do with his "love" for Poe. Goose absolutely LOVES DeCastro. He calls him the safest/surest pick in the entire draft. He says he's an elite Guard and will be a walk-in starter and Pro Bowler by his 2nd season. He does devalue the Guard position though. He says Dallas has many other needs at "premium" positions (ie. DL and DB). Says, that if Dallas is going to use a high pick, they'd be better off using it on a player at a premium position. So, when it comes to DL and DB @ #14 the highest ranking player at those position who may be there is Poe. He believes Poe will go as high as #8, but may be there for us @ #14. That being said... I like DeCastro so much, I would love for us to pick him.

But that is like saying I would take a guy who is a hit or miss vs a so called sure thing? If the DL had players who were grading out better then it would be an easier call but that does not seem to be the case.

VACowboy

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;4432722 said:
I like Decastro as our pick.

Defensively I like Kuechly (sp?) but I have feeling that Hightower is the guy the cowboys will take if they go defensive with the first pick.

I think they like his leadership skills. I think they like the idea that he has football smarts and some called him the coach on the field for the d side of the ball and I think they like him because they can see him being a thumper LB but also possibly a 3-4 OLB which gives them versatility in Ryan's defense.

I have no insider info on this, it is all a gut feeling but I think that is who they like if they go defense.

Me too. My first two choices.

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;4432722 said:
I like Decastro as our pick.

Defensively I like Kuechly (sp?) but I have feeling that Hightower is the guy the cowboys will take if they go defensive with the first pick.

I think they like his leadership skills. I think they like the idea that he has football smarts and some called him the coach on the field for the d side of the ball and I think they like him because they can see him being a thumper LB but also possibly a 3-4 OLB which gives them versatility in Ryan's defense.

I have no insider info on this, it is all a gut feeling but I think that is who they like if they go defense.

I was on DeCastro at 14 until Poe showed up and clearly had an impressive combine. I have no insider info either. I just don't think Hightower fits the bill. Lee will be the leader of the Def. He already makes the calls and he's been a leader at every stop; including Penn State. He was coach during the year when he tore his ACL; he is a natural leader.

As for versatility; I think Carter will give you that. But here is where I get excited. If you want a versatile defender, you go Ingram or Poe. Poe can play anywhere on the line and given his foot speed; he can line up at NT and drop back to cover the shallow crossing route to negate the TE. Ingram has played DT, LB and DE. I think Hightower is too limited to play OLB. His hips are tight. Very tight. Good straight line speed, but the start and stop, re-direct is not there.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dough Boy;4432746 said:
I was on DeCastro at 14 until Poe showed up and clearly had an impressive combine. I have no insider info either. I just don't think Hightower fits the bill. Lee will be the leader of the Def. He already makes the calls and he's been a leader at every stop; including Penn State. He was coach during the year when he tore his ACL; he is a natural leader.

As for versatility; I think Carter will give you that. But here is where I get excited. If you want a versatile defender, you go Ingram or Poe. Poe can play anywhere on the line and given his foot speed; he can line up at NT and drop back to cover the shallow crossing route to negate the TE. Ingram has played DT, LB and DE. I think Hightower is too limited to play OLB. His hips are tight. Very tight. Good straight line speed, but the start and stop, re-direct is not there.

Players that have a reputation for taking too many plays off and being lazy do not get me too excited.

Players that were slated around the 2nd round or bottom of the first round and go to the combine and do well and then get slated to go as a possible top ten...that scares me.

I would not mind Poe in a trade down...that might not be possible now.

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
VACowboy;4432744 said:
Me too. My first two choices.

If and I say if Carter turns out to be the 1st round talent that the FO thinks; who sits Carter or Keulchy (sp). If all three are Pro-Bowl type players, have we wasted a draft pick. I don't think giving up on someone that you (FO) knew was a year away when you took him is the way to build the team. I would agree if we didn't have as many holes as we do. We can't afford the luxury of having a 1st round pick (Keulchy) or a 2nd round pick (Carter) not starting. Unless you are ready to give up on Carter, I don't get how this helps the team. One of them has to sit.

You have to give Carter a chance to play before you give up on him. I agree with drafting an ILB later in the draft for depth or even getting a FA, but to place a 1st pick on the team is not good. And if we missed on Carter, then the FO needs to question how they do business. They gave Carter a 1st round grade.

cbow44

Reaction score
I like options, Decastro is a option, but so is Poe ( and a lazy athlete just dosent wake up one morning and lift 225 44 times. Thats a lot of hard work in the weight room). Dre Kirkpatrick just ran 4.43 and since a freshman in high school till his Jr. season has only given up one or two touchdowns depending on who you talk too. Upshaw isnt that elite athlete you want, but no one is going to out work him in the film room or the gym. and he could be the leader everyone is talking about. http://www.nfl.com/combine/story/09...ifted-upshaw-working-hard-to-refine-technique
Options at 14.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
marchetta;4432648 said:
Goose believes we'll take a very hard look at taking Poe with our 1st pick. He said, this morning on The Ticket, that Poe will go between #8 - #18. He said Poe is a FREAK of an athlete, and is the best DL in the draft, and would be surprised if Dallas doesn't go DL at #14. Says, DeCastro is the safest pick in the draft, and will be a Pro-Bowler by his 2nd season. Says it would be a reach to draft a guard at #14 even if he's an elite guard. Says DL will go fast in draft, and we can get an OL in the 3rd or 4th rds. Says DL is a premium position and won't be around after the 1st rd. Dallas needs secondary help, but they can find guys at OL and DB later in the draft. If they want/need a DL man, they have to get them early in the draft. And, Poe should be there for them.

I mean, i can't argue with the reasoning here. I do think he's right about DB and OL being there in the second and third rounds with some good value still on the board.

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;4432751 said:
Players that have a reputation for taking too many plays off and being lazy do not get me too excited.

Players that were slated around the 2nd round or bottom of the first round and go to the combine and do well and then get slated to go as a possible top ten...that scares me.

I would not mind Poe in a trade down...that might not be possible now.

I can agree with that. Poe was a late first coming into the combine. The FO needs to do their homework on this guy. Talk to the coaching staff at Memphis, ex-teammates, etc... I don't want a guy that takes plays off either. They need to be able to feel comfortable that he will give max effort and know exactly why he took the plays off; ie out of shape, lazy, didn't care to always go full speed, issues off the field, family issues, maturity etc...

But lets be honest; every player has some neg traits.

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
cbow44;4432759 said:
I like options, Decastro is a option, but so is Poe ( and a lazy athlete just dosent wake up one morning and lift 225 44 times. Thats a lot of hard work in the weight room).

Point well made.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
So we're really going to draft a gut cause of his workout? Mike Mamula had a great combine too.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
DFWJC;4432664 said:
Some of this may be settled before the draft with FA pickups.
Hopefully

I agree after free agency we will have a pretty good look at who were Gunna take

ringmaster

Reaction score
From what I read he does seem to like DeCastro, but the problem I have with it. is that if the Cowboys select him at 14 then its a "reach" but yet he believes that he will be elite.
marchetta;4432728 said:

cowboysooner

Reaction score
One of the best ways to value to positions is to look at the $ paid to the players at that position who are on non-rookie contracts and to also look at the career expectancy of that position. The average dt makes far more than the average og. The top dt makes far more than the top og.

There is positional value to building a team. However, you should take an elite og rather than a functional or good corner, dt or passrusher. But if you have rated Poe, Kirkpatrick or Upshaw as an elite player you should take them over an elite guard.

There are some things that you can so rarely buy in free agency that you must take them: qb, LT, pass rusher, war daddy dt. Over the past 5 years, less than 3 of those guys have hit free agency- not qb's, no LT's, Jared Allen (trade), Peppers, and Haynesworth. This year there is 1- Mario Williams. You must draft these positions.

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
Hostile;4432806 said:
Hey, we'd be crazy not to look hard at Poe if he is there.

Yup. And this is coming from a DeCastro and Ingram homer. Poe has earned a second look.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Hell QB is one of the most important let’s just take Tannehill over DeCastro. To me that is what this looks like, hey don't take the elite player take a so so player because at least he is not a G.

If you take DeCastro you do it because you think as a football player he is better than the other players in that slot. If it is all about the position then you can easily end up with a player that never measure up.

I'm not looking at these players just within this draft but vs players in recent drafts. Does anyone think this group of DL players measure up to recent players?

burmafrd

Reaction score
I do not see Ingram or Poe as being as good at their positions as DeCastro is at his.

Look at Poe's production; not there. Ingram-maybe.

But neither of them are as good as DeCastro looks at his position.

And it is a position of NEED.

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
I was hoping that a few of these DL guys would show well and make a case for themselves. I think that 14 is too early to take a guard, but i'm not entirely against the idea. If Decastro grades out far superior to any left on the board than take him. My big problem is I'm not sold he has the best value at the guard spot. I see more upside in Cordy Glenn right now. The cowboys really do have to take a long look at Poe. He has tremendous upside, but is he Albert. Gotta have faith in the Boys FO in a character evaul of him.

burmafrd

Reaction score
ABQcowboyJR;4432829 said:
I was hoping that a few of these DL guys would show well and make a case for themselves. I think that 14 is too early to take a guard, but i'm not entirely against the idea. If Decastro grades out far superior to any left on the board than take him. My big problem is I'm not sold he has the best value at the guard spot. I see more upside in Cordy Glenn right now. The cowboys really do have to take a long look at Poe. He has tremendous upside, but is he Albert. Gotta have faith in the Boys FO in a character evaul of him.

glenn will not be as good a guard. Book that. he is too big to do a lot of the things that Red Ball likes to do.