Gosselin back in Aug 2006 said that... Bledsoe.... Romo

sago1

Reaction score
Some have raised the issue of who realized/stated early that Romo would be our starter someday. I came across an article by Gosselin dated Aug 29, 2006 on Sean Payton's team and other stuff.

Included in that article was a small para (below) on the Cowboy QB situation.

TWO-MINUTE DRILL:
• Drew Bledsoe may open the season as starting quarterback of the Cowboys. But count me among those who believe Tony Romo will close the season as starter.

Realize that some of you might say you also believed by that time that Romo would be the man, but Gosselin sure nailed it.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
sago1;1737692 said:
Some have raised the issue of who realized/stated early that Romo would be our starter someday. I came across an article by Gosselin dated Aug 29, 2006 on Sean Payton's team and other stuff.

Included in that article was a small para (below) on the Cowboy QB situation.

TWO-MINUTE DRILL:
• Drew Bledsoe may open the season as starting quarterback of the Cowboys. But count me among those who believe Tony Romo will close the season as starter.

Realize that some of you might say you also believed by that time that Romo would be the man, but Gosselin sure nailed it.

Gosselin was one of MANY that believed this.

He even stated it in the part you quoted:

count me among those who believe

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Laufenberg was the 1st to call it out of anyone I heard.

I thought he was crazy too. Little did young CATCH17 know

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I knew Romo would be the starter the day he shot outta the womb. :flagwave:

superpunk

Reaction score
Parcells was dropping hints about how much he liked Romo ever since we signed him. Every time other media outlets would ask him about our golden boy Henson, he'd respond and then make sure he mentioned how "he had another one down there that noone was talking about."

Many people were reading the tea leaves on that. Peter King was one who was saying it to start preseason, on HBO and such.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
I've said it beginning of the last season that Romo should have been starter based his plays in TC and Pre-Season, along with Bledsoe's woes year before, in terms of his immobility, sacks, INTs and fumbles.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
One of my favorite "Start Tony Romo" drives was by Shango on his Cowboys Show videos. He had a countdown to Tony Romo in the background. Hilarious.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
hendog;1737730 said:

Yep. He may throw a thousand things against the wall but this one stuck.

Nors was calling for Romo to be the future or an up and comer LONG before these media types and many people on the board.

So I give Nors credit for being the first I recall when everyone was on Henson's jock.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1737759 said:

Nors was calling for Romo to be the future or an up and comer LONG before these media types and many people on the board.

So I give Nors credit for being the first I recall when everyone was on Henson's jock.

He most certainly was not the first.

superpunk

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1737759 said:

I don't think that can be overstated when talking about what Nors may have "called".

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rack;1737763 said:

He was the first I recall.

Sorry if that does not bode well with you.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1737770 said:
He was the first I recall.

Sorry if that does not bode well with you.

Sorry you misunderstood. You said he was the first you recalled, and I just let you know that he wasn't the first to say it. Wasn't attacking your or anything.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Rack;1737763 said:
The very first I ever saw trumpet Romo was back on the old DMN forum. It was by one of the dumbest posters ever over there, CowboyBob. Not making this up, right before the Draft he started talking about Romo being from Sean Payton's alma mater and how we'd take him in the 7th round. Then when he wasn't drafted he said we'd sign him as a UDFA.

Guy was a total idiot about anything football related, but I have to give him props for that.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1737759 said:

But he's also stated that Hutchison was pro bowl talent, Carter had hall of fame potential, Stoerner should have been the starter and Bledsoe was the final piece of the puzzle.

As you said, throw enough....

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Hostile;1737779 said:
The very first I ever saw trumpet Romo was back on the old DMN forum. It was by one of the dumbest posters ever over there, CowboyBob. Not making this up, right before the Draft he started talking about Romo being from Sean Payton's alma mater and how we'd take him in the 7th round. Then when he wasn't drafted he said we'd sign him as a UDFA.

Guy was a total idiot about anything football related, but I have to give him props for that.

Ok I think that guy wins, hands down.

I'd bet money that no one talked Romo up before that.

That dude should of gone to Vegas that week. :D

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Babe Laufenberg was the one and only media member talking about Romo.

In the offseason of 04 when we signed Bledsoe in february, Laufenberg said that night on the sports part of the cbs 11 news that it was a mistake and Tony Romo should be given every opportunity to win that position.

He was the only one. I remember Steve Dennis and Mickey Spagnola and Brad Sham all kind of laughing him off in the summer of 05 and then training camp.

He continued to plug romo and his blue collar work ethic and his 8000 college passing yards, which if I remember correctly he said was hard to do when passing the football to your brother in the backyard.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Rack;1737807 said:
Ok I think that guy wins, hands down.

I'd bet money that no one talked Romo up before that.

That dude should of gone to Vegas that week. :D
I remember laughing at him...until we signed Romo.

On any other subject he was a complete and total idiot. He pegged this right on the money. Of course he did predict Romo would start as a rookie, so he wasn't right at every turn on him.

iceberg might remember him. They had a healthy dislike for each other.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Hostile;1737820 said:
I remember laughing at him...until we signed Romo.

On any other subject he was a complete and total idiot. He pegged this right on the money. Of course he did predict Romo would start as a rookie, so he wasn't right at every turn on him.

iceberg might remember him. They had a healthy dislike for each other.

Someone dislike Iceberg? Noooooo! :D

J/K, Iceberg.

The name sounds familiar to me, but I don't recall anything good or bad about him.

Kudos to him though. But I'm glad we didn't start Romo as a rookie. I think he would of been ruined if we had done so.