News: Gosselin: If Cowboys spend first-round pick on QB, clock starts ticking on Tony Romo's career

CCBoy

Reaction score
Gosselin: If Cowboys spend first-round pick on QB, clock starts ticking on Tony Romo's career
http://sportsday.***BANNED-URL***/d...ick-qb-clock-starts-ticking-tony-romos-career

Question: I've seen Tony Romo say he'd support the team drafting a QB. Do you think he'd actually be supportive of one? I don't believe him for a second. Think he'd feel threatened.

Gosselin: I would agree with you. Romo is saying the right things but, like Jerry Jones, he thinks he can start for another five years for this franchise. If you spend a first-round draft pick on a quarterback, the clock starts ticking on Romo's career. You would want that young quarterback on the field at some point inside of three years into his career just to see what you have. We saw how uncomfortable Joe Montana got when the 49ers brought in his heir apparent Steve Young and how uncomfortable Brett Favre got when the Packers brought in his heir apparent Aaron Rodgers. I would expect it to be no different for Romo.

Question: I think that Dallas is throwing alot of smoke screens but in the end they will take Wentz or Goff at #4...and address the DE issue in the 2nd or later rounds...agree?

Gosselin: Like I said, if Jerry Jones believes Romo is going to play 4-5 more years -- and his contract dictates that he almost needs to play 4-5 more years -- it makes no sense for the Cowboys to burn the fourth overall pick on a quarterback. If you draft him, you want him on the field no later than 2018. That's not going to sit well with Romo -- and Romo is the second most powerful guy over at Valley Ranch behind the owner. If this draft is all about winning now, the Cowboys need to find multi-pass rushers. They need to come up with about 20 sacks this offseason to make this a championship contending team. Without Hardy, the Cowboys are returning 25 sacks from a year ago. The average number of sacks for the 50 Super Bowl championship teams has been in the 44-45 range. The lower you draft, the less quality you're going to find at a position. The longer the Cowboys wait on the pass rush, the less chance they'll have of finding those 20 sacks...

CCBoy

Reaction score
The cap is already maxed out for the team, in 2017...so the very earliest, without cripling the cap, that Tony Romo could be a June 1 drop, is 2018.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Romo's contract is plenty manageable after the 2018 season. We need a developmental QB. We'd be foolish not to take one.

I don't care very much if we win the Super Bowl with a below average number of sacks. I can live with that just fine.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
The cap is already maxed out for the team, in 2017...so the very earliest, without cripling the cap, that Tony Romo could be a June 1 drop, is 2018.

Not even close to true. He can be June 1st cut in 2017 to create an additional 14 million in cap space. He can be outright cut and still net 5 million in additional cap space. Just for grins, he can be June 1st cut right now and we would gain cap space this year and next. Fact checking is always a smart thing lest you end up making ridiculous claims.

The bottom line is his contract has absolutely no bearing on how long the Cowboys have to keep him after this season and should have no bearings on their draft plans.

ErikWilliamsHeadSlap

Reaction score
We need our next qb. We need it now. We need more talent on every level of our defense and we need that now. Running back and receiver is next year's problem.

So it is simple.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tony Romo being the 2nd most powerful guy at Valley Ranch behind the owner kind of shows the issue with this team for so, so long.

I especially loved this highly intelligent argument against....

We saw how uncomfortable Joe Montana got when the 49ers brought in his heir apparent Steve Young and how uncomfortable Brett Favre got when the Packers brought in his heir apparent Aaron Rodgers. I would expect it to be no different for Romo.

Yeah, we saw that. We also, like, saw the results of those decisions. Super Bowl title results. You moron.

Be careful what you wish for! We saw what happened in San Francisco and Green Bay!

Good stuff.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Yeah, we saw that. We also, like, saw the results of those decisions. Super Bowl title results. You moron.

Be careful what you wish for! We saw what happened in San Francisco and Green Bay!

Good stuff.

I put that in the "Did he just miss the irony of that statement" category.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Romo's ego is just not an issue. Never has been.

Of course the pressure would increase--if there could possibly be more pressure on a single player so relied on for the team's success.

But he's not lying when he says he'd support a new QB in training.
He'd also know that, yes, the ticking clock just got louder.

fishspill

Reaction score
I put that in the "Did he just miss the irony of that statement" category.

I think that's why he used those examples; he's more or less saying "yeah the vet wasn't happy but the team transitioned to life after them much more easily."

Romo may not like it, but I wouldn't like bringing a new guy in that might keep me from seeing the last 2-3 years of my $20 million paycheck. Not anything against him or my ego.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score

perhaps it is, but if Tony gets injured and misses time the next 5 years, you're still paying a huge amount for him to sit on the bench, while not doing a damn thing to start preparing for the future. A prudent person would look at the past couple of years and see that he is getting older, and injury prone and preparing for the future without Romo is something that should be considered, especially while its relatively cheap.

Of course a prudent person is not a way to describe the FO in Valley Ranch. If you do have to cut Romo before his 5 years are up you may have a cap hit, but you don't have to pay that $20 million salary, so you are still saving a good chunk of money. And by the way, the cap is not maxed out for 2017. They don't even know what the cap will be next year, it is due to keep rising significantly for the next several years.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
Tony Romo being the 2nd most powerful guy at Valley Ranch behind the owner kind of shows the issue with this team for so, so long.

I especially loved this highly intelligent argument against....

Good stuff.

You beat me to it, SF and GB brought in a young gun and made Montana and Favre uneasy, but led to SB wins, why would we not want that too?

I think for too long Romo has had no one behind him to push him at all, and drafting his replacement will push him a little.

DFWJC

Reaction score
You beat me to it, SF and GB brought in a young gun and made Montana and Favre uneasy, but led to SB wins, why would we not want that too?

I think for too long Romo has had no one behind him to push him at all, and drafting his replacement will push him a little.

Romo has had more pressure on him than almost any player in the last decade.
He's been led to believe--and often rightfully so--that if he doesn't play an outstanding game, the team won't win.

He knows that the time has come to groom his replacement. He's fine with it.
But yes, of course he'd feel it. But as a competitor (and no one can deny he has that in spades) he'd be okay with it.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
Romo has had more pressure on him than almost any player in the last decade.
He's been led to believe--and often rightfully so--that if he doesn't play an outstanding game, the team won't win.

He knows that the time has come to groom his replacement. He's fine with it.
But yes, of course he'd feel it. But as a competitor (and no one can deny he has that in spades) he'd be okay with it.

I love Tony, always have and the point of my post was what Gosselin mentioned about Montana and Farve being uncomfortable when they brought in Young and Rodgers, and how I would love those results to happen to us.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Not even close to true. He can be June 1st cut in 2017 to create an additional 14 million in cap space. He can be outright cut and still net 5 million in additional cap space. Just for grins, he can be June 1st cut right now and we would gain cap space this year and next. Fact checking is always a smart thing lest you end up making ridiculous claims.

The bottom line is his contract has absolutely no bearing on how long the Cowboys have to keep him after this season and should have no bearings on their draft plans.

If one doesn't also see actual dollars lost, one might state the above...but he would still not have a grasp of actual costs. Posted has already been a breakdown of actual costs...but leave it to the burn barrel bunch to claim high ground and also unbacked truth.

Continue on insulting before proving one's case...beyond what you claim as burn barrel truths.

...Even if the Cowboys did take a quarterback, the reality is that Romo's not going anywhere for a while: his contract is unmoveable, either via trade, release, or retirement. Thanks to past contractual missteps and desperate maneuverings to clear out cap space, the Cowboys have needed to restructure Romo's deal twice to convert his base salary into signing bonuses, pushing the cap hit for those deals into the future. That leaves Romo with massive cap hits on the Dallas roster, regardless of whether the Cowboys keep him or get rid of him:

CAP-HIT-ROMO ONROSTER
ROMO/TRADED/RELEASED/RETIRED/
ROMO RELEASED ASPOST-JUNE 1 CUT
2016/$20.8m/$31.9m/$12.3m
2017/$24.7m/$19.6m/$10.7m
2018/$25.2m/$8.9m/$5.7m

If the Cowboys cut Romo as a post-June 1 release, they would absorb the remaining dead money on their cap the following year; in other words, if the Cowboys cut Romo as a post-June 1 release before the 2017 season, they would owe $10.7 million on their cap in 2017 and the other $8.9 million in 2018. Dallas already has $146.9 million on their cap in 2017, the second-highest figure in football behind Philadelphia, so leaving even $12.7 million in dead money on their cap would be disastrous.

In reality, the earliest the Cowboys can move on from Romo -- assuming that they don't restructure his deal again -- is 2018. They could turn Romo into the most expensive backup QB in the history of pro football, but that's probably not going to happen, either. So if the Cowboys draft a passer, you have to assume that he'll spend a minimum of two seasons serving as a backup and injury replacement before stepping in as the full-time starter in 2018...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2016/st...16-nfl-draft-quarterback-instant-impact-piece

Last edited:

CCBoy

Reaction score
perhaps it is, but if Tony gets injured and misses time the next 5 years, you're still paying a huge amount for him to sit on the bench, while not doing a damn thing to start preparing for the future. A prudent person would look at the past couple of years and see that he is getting older, and injury prone and preparing for the future without Romo is something that should be considered, especially while its relatively cheap.

Of course a prudent person is not a way to describe the FO in Valley Ranch. If you do have to cut Romo before his 5 years are up you may have a cap hit, but you don't have to pay that $20 million salary, so you are still saving a good chunk of money. And by the way, the cap is not maxed out for 2017. They don't even know what the cap will be next year, it is due to keep rising significantly for the next several years.

Keep on following the burn barrel bunch...but look up your facts. Already on the books for 2017 is the sum of $146.9 million, now study on what that implies in the now...as that is a large percentage of ANY cap that develops from now.

One can try and look smart and explain such fact away and endear to the burn barrel buddies, but facts are still there to consider.

You already read those facts as well...