News: Gosselin: If Cowboys spend first-round pick on QB, clock starts ticking on Tony Romo's career

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Romo is the ultimate competitor. I do believe him when he says that if drafting a QB is the best thing for your team, you have to do it. Romo is supremely confident in his own ability and he feels that he's going to beat out anyone that they bring in for the starting spot (veteran or rookie). I also think that he's humble enough to help the kid succeed as much as he can while realizing that his career won't last forever. I don't think anyone loves this team more than Tony Romo (and that includes Jerry Jones). I think that the last thing this guy wants to see is the Cowboys struggle like they did in the post-Aikman era.

Maybe I've got it all wrong but Tony Romo is a different kind of beast on many levels. He's a competitor, no doubt, but he doesn't seem to be the egomaniac that would be threatened by the fact that the club has to protect it's long term interest. I think the only reason Romo has stuck around so long is that he's chasing that ring. The dude has taken a beating for all of us. Show me another QB in this league that would even consider playing football with broken ribs and a collapsed lung (winning in the process). This is a different kind of dude and I don't think past circumstances with other teams apply here.

Like I said, I may have it wrong, but I think Tony Romo is intimately aware of his football mortality and has a keen sense of humility about it. I'm certain he and his wife have had "the talk". That was really eye opening to see her reaction when he went down the second time last season. She was horrified. Romo has kids (and I'm sure he wants more) so, though it will be tough (as it will be for most of us who realize what a championship caliber QB Romo truly is) for him to walk away but I think Romo is going to eventually make that decision for himself before the Cowboys make it for him. Just my gut feeling.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Romo is the ultimate competitor. I do believe him when he says that if drafting a QB is the best thing for your team, you have to do it. Romo is supremely confident in his own ability and he feels that he's going to beat out anyone that they bring in for the starting spot (veteran or rookie). I also think that he's humble enough to help the kid succeed as much as he can while realizing that his career won't last forever. I don't think anyone loves this team more than Tony Romo (and that includes Jerry Jones). I think that the last thing this guy wants to see is the Cowboys struggle like they did in the post-Aikman era.

Maybe I've got it all wrong but Tony Romo is a different kind of beast on many levels. He's a competitor, no doubt, but he doesn't seem to be the egomaniac that would be threatened by the fact that the club has to protect it's long term interest. I think the only reason Romo has stuck around so long is that he's chasing that ring. The dude has taken a beating for all of us. Show me another QB in this league that would even consider playing football with broken ribs and a collapsed lung (winning in the process). This is a different kind of dude and I don't think past circumstances with other teams apply here.

Like I said, I may have it wrong, but I think Tony Romo is intimately aware of his football mortality and has a keen sense of humility about it. I'm certain he and his wife have had "the talk". That was really eye opening to see her reaction when he went down the second time last season. She was horrified. Romo has kids (and I'm sure he wants more) so, though it will be tough (as it will be for most of us who realize what a championship caliber QB Romo truly is) for him to walk away but I think Romo is going to eventually make that decision for himself before the Cowboys make it for him. Just my gut feeling.

No, you don't have it wrong at all.

You nailed it

Always baffles me how people project all of these fragile, insecure, even egotistical tendencies into Romo when there's no evidence of it whatsoever.

CCBoy

Reaction score
No, you don't have it wrong at all.

You nailed it

Always baffles me how people project all of these fragile, insecure, even egotistical tendencies into Romo when there's no evidence of it whatsoever.

When they are sitting at the burn barrel with their buddies passing the Ripple around...one gets to where observers just expect the fall out climate. Never makes them right, although...

Myself, I have great respects for sacrifices and team play by Tony Romo. He's a great leader and role model as well. I won't let a negative word slip from my own lips against the man.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
If one doesn't also see actual dollars lost, one might state the above...but he would still not have a grasp of actual costs. Posted has already been a breakdown of actual costs...but leave it to the burn barrel bunch to claim high ground and also unbacked truth.

Continue on insulting before proving one's case...beyond what you claim as burn barrel truths.

...Even if the Cowboys did take a quarterback, the reality is that Romo's not going anywhere for a while: his contract is unmoveable, either via trade, release, or retirement. Thanks to past contractual missteps and desperate maneuverings to clear out cap space, the Cowboys have needed to restructure Romo's deal twice to convert his base salary into signing bonuses, pushing the cap hit for those deals into the future. That leaves Romo with massive cap hits on the Dallas roster, regardless of whether the Cowboys keep him or get rid of him:

CAP-HIT-ROMO ONROSTER
ROMO/TRADED/RELEASED/RETIRED/
ROMO RELEASED ASPOST-JUNE 1 CUT
2016/$20.8m/$31.9m/$12.3m
2017/$24.7m/$19.6m/$10.7m
2018/$25.2m/$8.9m/$5.7m

If the Cowboys cut Romo as a post-June 1 release, they would absorb the remaining dead money on their cap the following year; in other words, if the Cowboys cut Romo as a post-June 1 release before the 2017 season, they would owe $10.7 million on their cap in 2017 and the other $8.9 million in 2018. Dallas already has $146.9 million on their cap in 2017, the second-highest figure in football behind Philadelphia, so leaving even $12.7 million in dead money on their cap would be disastrous.

In reality, the earliest the Cowboys can move on from Romo -- assuming that they don't restructure his deal again -- is 2018. They could turn Romo into the most expensive backup QB in the history of pro football, but that's probably not going to happen, either. So if the Cowboys draft a passer, you have to assume that he'll spend a minimum of two seasons serving as a backup and injury replacement before stepping in as the full-time starter in 2018...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2016/st...16-nfl-draft-quarterback-instant-impact-piece

And that article is complete stupid. The money is a sunken cost. If they draft a QB at 4, no matter which way they cut Romo, they end up with extra cap space AFTER factoring in what the number 4 pick makes. How does replacing Romo with a cheaper cap hit and gaining extra cap space for every year after his cut make it disastrous? You don't know what you're talking about.

You're argument doesn't factor in that the following year he already has a 20+ million cap hit on the books. If he has a 12 million dead money hit that year, it is still less than 20 million so its a net positive. A simple look at overthecap.com will show that a cut next year or a June 1st cut next year all equals the same thing. A net positive in future years cap space.

#truths.

Last edited:

CCBoy

Reaction score
And that article is complete stupid. The money is a sunken cost. If they draft a QB at 4, no matter which way they cut Romo, they end up with extra cap space AFTER factoring in what the number 4 pick makes. How does replacing Romo with a cheaper cap hit and gaining extra cap space for every year after his cut make it disastrous? You don't know what you're talking about.

You're argument doesn't factor in that the following year he already has a 20+ million cap hit on the books. If he has a 12 million dead money hit that year, it is still less than 20 million so its a net positive. A simple look at overthecap.com will show that a cut next year or a June 1st cut next year all equals the same thing. A net positive in future years cap space.

#truths.

Read what has been posted on topic...

as to a number four draft pick, that is already all but set. Oh, and additionally, while the glipse above ignores the full brunt of the individual cap hit for Tony Romo....looking for a fancy way to attempt to explain it away, you still haven't.

His initial contract has been expanded twice, and the total amounts due for the next three seasons are:

2016 $20.8
2017 $24.7
2018 $25.2

Those amounts are on the book already. as are a total cap amount of $146.9 for the year 2017. How one attempts to wave a magical wand around, doesn't remove the simple fact that the Dallas Cowboys plan on Tony being the team's undisputed leader for EVERY ONE OF THE THREE YEARS. Break up those amounts as one wishes, but don't also assume they go away when one cross compares to actual money on position. Sorry, those numbers will still put one's butt into bankruptcy court at some level.

That amount is already figured into a consideration of managing future come due contracts and maintaining roster strengths. But in considerations of more than the quarterback position. What are YOU going to do when Tony Romo is STILL around in 2018? But a drafted quarterback...not a defensive end, or cornerback, or running back, and the cap hit then is $5 million a year as well.

The QB positional group will then be well over $26 million for three quarterbacks.

Simple fact of economics, to maintain a NFL team, a percentage of cap money has to be spread around all positional groups. Outside rushers, cornerbacks, top receivers, and high performance offensive linemen, all demand rather large amounts on the cap.

Focus much of that available money upon three quarterbacks, and one has plenty of problems on an already heavily projected year, such as 2017. One has to consider adjustments of assets or declare bankruptcy.

Now plug that aspect back into a picture that will have Frederick and Martin seeking their second levels of contracts as well. I'm just adding that pair, but there will be others that will have to measured against a total cap picture. How many of the just signed defensive linemen will be around as well, and not much to pay them if they do improve and get more expensive?

No, it's not all your dog in the fight when logic is on the line...look, I don't care who the Cowboys select. I don't put abstract levels of fan level final lines or I'll attack all other fans who don't agree. But as to economics, you just don't go jet setting with player's careers and expect to continue to do so, when you are then grounded from too many luxury trips.

$26 million luxury trip that would put Romo's trip to Cabo to shame, is a progress limiter. Agree or not.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
Read what has been posted on topic...

as to a number four draft pick, that is already all but set. Oh, and additionally, while the glipse above ignores the full brunt of the individual cap hit for Tony Romo....looking for a fancy way to attempt to explain it away, you still haven't.

His initial contract has been expanded twice, and the total amounts due for the next three seasons are:

2016 $20.8
2017 $24.7
2018 $25.2

Those amounts are on the book already. as are a total cap amount of $146.9 for the year 2017. How one attempts to wave a magical wand around, doesn't remove the simple fact that the Dallas Cowboys plan on Tony being the team's undisputed leader for EVERY ONE OF THE THREE YEARS. Break up those amounts as one wishes, but don't also assume they go away when one cross compares to actual money on position. Sorry, those numbers will still put one's butt into bankruptcy court at some level.

That amount is already figured into a consideration of managing future come due contracts and maintaining roster strengths. But in considerations of more than the quarterback position. What are YOU going to do when Tony Romo is STILL around in 2018? But a drafted quarterback...not a defensive end, or cornerback, or running back, and the cap hit then is $5 million a year as well.

The QB positional group will then be well over $26 million for three quarterbacks.

Simple fact of economics, to maintain a NFL team, a percentage of cap money has to be spread around all positional groups. Outside rushers, cornerbacks, top receivers, and high performance offensive linemen, all demand rather large amounts on the cap.

Focus much of that available money upon three quarterbacks, and one has plenty of problems on an already heavily projected year, such as 2017. One has to consider adjustments of assets or declare bankruptcy.

Now plug that aspect back into a picture that will have Frederick and Martin seeking their second levels of contracts as well. I'm just adding that pair, but there will be others that will have to measured against a total cap picture. How many of the just signed defensive linemen will be around as well, and not much to pay them if they do improve and get more expensive?

No, it's not all your dog in the fight when logic is on the line...look, I don't care who the Cowboys select. I don't put abstract levels of fan level final lines or I'll attack all other fans who don't agree. But as to economics, you just don't go jet setting with player's careers and expect to continue to do so, when you are then grounded from too many luxury trips.

$26 million luxury trip that would put Romo's trip to Cabo to shame, is a progress limiter. Agree or not.

Again, a simple look at overthecap.com will show you how wrong you are. You can type these long, elaborate, drawn out posts all you like, but it doesn't make it any more true.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
Here, I'll do it for you.

Cowboys Projected Cap Space with Romo

2017 - 15,399,291
2018 - 70,273,817

Cowboys Projected Cap Space with an Outright Cut in 2017

2017 - 20,499,291
2018 - 95,473,817

Cowboys Projected Cap Space in 2017 With June 1st Cut

2017 - 29,399,291
2018 - 86,573,817

With an outright cut in 2017 the Cowboys gain 5 million in space for the 2017 season and 25 million by 2018. A June 1st gives an extra 14 million in 2017 and an extra 16 million in 2018. This is whats known as a net positive.

You can wave your hand all you like, but like I said, you are wrong. Here's the numbers. Either accept it or don't. I really don't care. I'm not about to continue arguing when the numbers speak for themselves.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Again, a simple look at overthecap.com will show you how wrong you are. You can type these long, elaborate, drawn out posts all you like, but it doesn't make it any more true.

If YOU can't prove your case with all presented, Son, move on...

CCBoy

Reaction score
Here, I'll do it for you.

Cowboys Projected Cap Space with Romo

2017 - 15,399,291
2018 - 70,273,817

Cowboys Projected Cap Space with an Outright Cut in 2017

2017 - 20,499,291
2018 - 95,473,817

Cowboys Projected Cap Space in 2017 With June 1st Cut

2017 - 29,399,291
2018 - 86,573,817

With an outright cut in 2017 the Cowboys gain 5 million in space for the 2017 season and 25 million by 2018. A June 1st gives an extra 14 million in 2017 and an extra 16 million in 2018. This is whats known as a net positive.

You can wave your hand all you like, but like I said, you are wrong. Here's the numbers. Either accept it or don't. I really don't care. I'm not about to continue arguing when the numbers speak for themselves.

So, where did the funds committed to QB vanish to? You don't even approach a complete picture. Work cap figures, again, and rework the total commitments from today to 2017.

How much of the total Romo amount is guaranteed?

Next, cover the percentage of cap that would be allocated for the interim while Tony Romo IS with the team.

Follow THAT, with just when YOU propose to let Tony and his franchise level of play lose?

WHAT if Tony continues to play well, WHICH IS THE DIRECTION TAKEN BY THE DALLAS COWBOYS, and your positional amounts are increasing about the $26 million marks?

No, one can attempt to explain a degree a degree of 'success' with the cap hits...but not really a full picture.

What, you forgot what a picture is like when a Troy Aikman left and his cap hits at a team high level, didn't?

That would take more than a magic wand to deal with, if that were to happen...but has to be considered now as well.

As Bill Parcells ALWAYS stated and Jerry agreed with...one plays to win now, not ten years hence.

That IS the point, and not one's Magical Mystery Tour....

The-Beatles-look-o_2357491k.jpg

Last edited:

AzorAhai

Reaction score
So, where did the funds committed to QB vanish to? You don't even approach a complete picture. Work cap figures, again, and rework the total commitments from today to 2017.

How much of the total Romo amount is guaranteed?

Next, cover the percentage of cap that would be allocated for the interim while Tony Romo IS with the team.

Follow THAT, with just when YOU propose to let Tony and his franchise level of play lose?

WHAT if Tony continues to play well, WHICH IS THE DIRECTION TAKEN BY THE DALLAS COWBOYS, and your positional amounts are increasing about the $26 million marks?

No, one can attempt to explain a degree a degree of 'success' with the cap hits...but not really a full picture.

What, you forgot what a picture is like when a Troy Aikman left and his cap hits at a team high level, didn't?

That would take more than a magic wand to deal with, if that were to happen...but has to be considered now as well.

As Bill Parcells ALWAYS stated and Jerry agreed with...one plays to win now, not ten years hence.

That IS the point, and not one's Magical Mystery Tour....

The-Beatles-look-o_2357491k.jpg

What is so hard to comprehend here? You said they are tied to Romo until at least 2018 and I just proved you are wrong with FACTS. How complicated is that for you to understand? Don't change the debate. This is about when they can cut him and thats it. They aren't tied to him. Bottom. Line.

Go here and learn yourself.

http://overthecap.com/calculator/dallas-cowboys/#y2017

Last edited:

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
What is so hard to comprehend here? You said they are tied to Romo until at least 2018 and I just proved you are wrong with FACTS. How complicated is that for you to understand? Don't change the debate. This is about when they can cut him and thats it. They aren't tied to him. Bottom. Line.

Your posts to likes ratio is impressive bro. I like that.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Gosselin: If Cowboys spend first-round pick on QB, clock starts ticking on Tony Romo's career
http://sportsday.***BANNED-URL***/d...ick-qb-clock-starts-ticking-tony-romos-career

Question: I've seen Tony Romo say he'd support the team drafting a QB. Do you think he'd actually be supportive of one? I don't believe him for a second. Think he'd feel threatened.

Gosselin: I would agree with you. Romo is saying the right things but, like Jerry Jones, he thinks he can start for another five years for this franchise. If you spend a first-round draft pick on a quarterback, the clock starts ticking on Romo's career. You would want that young quarterback on the field at some point inside of three years into his career just to see what you have. We saw how uncomfortable Joe Montana got when the 49ers brought in his heir apparent Steve Young and how uncomfortable Brett Favre got when the Packers brought in his heir apparent Aaron Rodgers. I would expect it to be no different for Romo.

Question: I think that Dallas is throwing alot of smoke screens but in the end they will take Wentz or Goff at #4...and address the DE issue in the 2nd or later rounds...agree?

Gosselin: Like I said, if Jerry Jones believes Romo is going to play 4-5 more years -- and his contract dictates that he almost needs to play 4-5 more years -- it makes no sense for the Cowboys to burn the fourth overall pick on a quarterback. If you draft him, you want him on the field no later than 2018. That's not going to sit well with Romo -- and Romo is the second most powerful guy over at Valley Ranch behind the owner. If this draft is all about winning now, the Cowboys need to find multi-pass rushers. They need to come up with about 20 sacks this offseason to make this a championship contending team. Without Hardy, the Cowboys are returning 25 sacks from a year ago. The average number of sacks for the 50 Super Bowl championship teams has been in the 44-45 range. The lower you draft, the less quality you're going to find at a position. The longer the Cowboys wait on the pass rush, the less chance they'll have of finding those 20 sacks...

We are going to get 20 sacks out of our rookie draft class?

laughing-cat-1120x600.jpg

Romotil45

Reaction score
Gosselin: If Cowboys spend first-round pick on QB, clock starts ticking on Tony Romo's career
http://sportsday.***BANNED-URL***/d...ick-qb-clock-starts-ticking-tony-romos-career

Question: I've seen Tony Romo say he'd support the team drafting a QB. Do you think he'd actually be supportive of one? I don't believe him for a second. Think he'd feel threatened.

Gosselin: I would agree with you. Romo is saying the right things but, like Jerry Jones, he thinks he can start for another five years for this franchise. If you spend a first-round draft pick on a quarterback, the clock starts ticking on Romo's career. You would want that young quarterback on the field at some point inside of three years into his career just to see what you have. We saw how uncomfortable Joe Montana got when the 49ers brought in his heir apparent Steve Young and how uncomfortable Brett Favre got when the Packers brought in his heir apparent Aaron Rodgers. I would expect it to be no different for Romo.

Question: I think that Dallas is throwing alot of smoke screens but in the end they will take Wentz or Goff at #4...and address the DE issue in the 2nd or later rounds...agree?

Gosselin: Like I said, if Jerry Jones believes Romo is going to play 4-5 more years -- and his contract dictates that he almost needs to play 4-5 more years -- it makes no sense for the Cowboys to burn the fourth overall pick on a quarterback. If you draft him, you want him on the field no later than 2018. That's not going to sit well with Romo -- and Romo is the second most powerful guy over at Valley Ranch behind the owner. If this draft is all about winning now, the Cowboys need to find multi-pass rushers. They need to come up with about 20 sacks this offseason to make this a championship contending team. Without Hardy, the Cowboys are returning 25 sacks from a year ago. The average number of sacks for the 50 Super Bowl championship teams has been in the 44-45 range. The lower you draft, the less quality you're going to find at a position. The longer the Cowboys wait on the pass rush, the less chance they'll have of finding those 20 sacks...

Smart guy don't agree with him on everything but he got this one right.

Romotil45

Reaction score
Smart guy don't agree with him on everything but he got this one right.

Romo just read this entire post and agrees with ALL of it he says the quicker I get to Denver the better off I will be. So for the next two years I can be the highest paid backup in NFL history. Sounds good to me hope I don't have to touch the field. I'll be really healthy in 2 years riding the pine go to Denver win a SB. Stephen my back really hurts man.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Romo just read this entire post and agrees with ALL of it he says the quicker I get to Denver the better off I will be. So for the next two years I can be the highest paid backup in NFL history. Sounds good to me hope I don't have to touch the field. I'll be really healthy in 2 years riding the pine go to Denver win a SB. Stephen my back really hurts man.

We get your point.....move on.

CCBoy

Reaction score

You didn't prove anything as to keep or not keep...only tried to hide reality behind a shadow of all that is involved. One can't discuss with an agenda, so move on...and quit trying to instead, brag for your lack of approaching all that is involved.

First off, prove when Tony Romo is supposed to be jerked from his head as focal point for the franchise...in your sing along for a new quarterback.

Next, get YOUR facts as to what was and was not stated by myself. The numbers aren't going to change, UNTIL, Dallas makes a move to remove Romo. As to degree, that amount will STILL affect the percentage.

What is lame, is that YOU state there is a lack of knowledge on my part...that part has already been supplied in the initial posting on values involved, AND WITH ALL OPTIONS INCLUDED.

Just pay attention and don't bellow like someone else is lacking anything in your agenda driven play arounds. You aren't nearly as smart as you assume. Nor I as dumb as you insult. Carry on...

Tony isn't going anywhere, and with salary escalating for HIS salaries. That is, UNLESS, the team is ready to move on in fact. But even YOU can understand that the team already has a taken stance on riding this horse out. Tony is the face of the franchise and a bunch of 'smart' views to the contrary, doesn't change that.

Take your shell game and see if someone not around the carnival really wants to play...if so, a fool is born every minute, for the record.

Just look at the information, FIRST, provided and quit the efforts at cover up with total costs...not just with a single drafted player's part. As to the value of the person learning on the sidelines, perhaps your hidden agendas don't see the lack of total team value that could be depressed as to current play.

To the specifics of increased pressure, let's hear a projection on total sacks, if Lawrence, Gregory, and a Bosa did hit full stride in this season.

Care to comment how that with a talented cornerback added to the defense could be more of an immediate affect at current play on the field...and STILL getting a developmental quarterback for the near future.

No, your agenda is to claim stupidity for anything not in your own shadows...check for yourself, you aren't handling facts on the table, ALREADY.

The quoted, and not MY time line, was as a minimum, the team is already committed to 2017.

CCBoy

Reaction score
We are going to get 20 sacks out of our rookie draft class?

laughing-cat-1120x600.jpg

Gosselin: I have grave concerns about this defensive line. The average number of sacks for Super Bowl champions has been 44. Minus Greg Hardy, the Cowboys are sitting on 25 sacks. So I believe the Cowboys need to find 20 sacks this offseason if they want to be serious about playoff and Super Bowl contention. Talent evaluators have told me Joey Bosa is likely an 8-10 sack pass rusher in the NFL. Let's say the Cowboys take him at 4. That would help. Cedric Thornton is not a pass rush. He has four sacks in four seasons. So you'd still need to draft at least one more pass rusher. Losing Randy Gregory for the first month of the season compounds the problem. Right now I have zero confidence that this D-Line can solve the most glaring problem of the Cowboys -- the absence of a pass rush.
https://twitter.com/RickGosselinDMN

At least give credit for supposed creativity...whether true or not.

Sydla

Reaction score

200.gif

thehammer

Reaction score
listen I'm just a draft from St Lous but from where I'm sitting Dallas is bad team(using ourlads depth chart and looking at other teams) with an old QB...time for a total rebuild...that 4-12 record was real. .you have a great oline time to draft your QB of the future

tyke1doe

Reaction score

Are you quoting yourself now and responding to your own posts? :lmao: