Gosselin's final mock - just a few picks so far but interesting

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
If that wasn't Goose and I saw this mock, I would say that this is the worst mock I've seen yet this offseason. Absolutely no conceivable way in my mind do these QB's get selected that high and some of these guys fall like they do. At the same time, he's historically the best and I can't forget that.

Goose is either going to look like a genius or a chump after this.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
If the QBs actually do start going off the board that early, the Cowboys are sitting pretty at #9 in regards to trading back. If things played out exactly perfectly you could actually make two small trades back with two QB needy teams and still sit in the late teens/early 20's with a lot of your guys you had targeted at #9 and a pocketfull of mid round draft picks.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
MadCow;3925276 said:
#17 - Jordan
#18 - Liuget
#19 - Solder
#20 - Quinn
#21 - Carimi
#22 - Castonzo
#23 - Smith
#24 - Clayborn
#25 - Amukamara
#26 - Watt
#27 - Taylor
#28 - Watkins
#29 - Austin
#30 - Sherrod
#31 - Heyward
#32 - Williams
Holy cow. Trading down for 17/33 looks like a dream scenario if this is accurate. Getting Castonzo and then trading back up for Watt would be completely plausible.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Avery;3925352 said:
If that wasn't Goose and I saw this mock, I would say that this is the worst mock I've seen yet this offseason. Absolutely no conceivable way in my mind do these QB's get selected that high and some of these guys fall like they do. At the same time, he's historically the best and I can't forget that.

Goose is either going to look like a genius or a chump after this.

You see it most years, although this year is potentially shaping up as extreme- teams overdraft QB's. I think most teams have good scouts and talent evaluators, but for some reason they get stupid when it comes to the QB position. If your a team that needs a QB you convince yourself that the square peg will somehow go in the round hole.

There's no way in hell most of these guys (QB's) mentioned should be sniffing the first round. Alot of them probably shouldnt even be 2nd rd picks.

visionary

Reaction score
dbair1967;3925382 said:
You see it most years, although this year is potentially shaping up as extreme- teams overdraft QB's. I think most teams have good scouts and talent evaluators, but for some reason they get stupid when it comes to the QB position. If your a team that needs a QB you convince yourself that the square peg will somehow go in the round hole.

There's no way in hell most of these guys (QB's) mentioned should be sniffing the first round. Alot of them probably shouldnt even be 2nd rd picks.

another issue may also be the uncertainty around labor and the inability to trade players before the draft

it may seem plausible to trade your high #2 for Kolb or Palmer this year and taking care of other needs via draft/FA. if you dont like the price, you can still draft one

after the draft, if you want to trade for them, eagles and bengals will know that you are stuck and the draft is gone so they might ask for a 1st next year and that may not be palatable

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
I hope we trade down. I think Smith has bust written all over him.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I don't think any of these GMs "want" to take the QBs that high, but if that's the price of getting one they'll pay it because your franchise is held hostage until you find a long term solution for the position. At least drafting and developing one is actively trying to find a solution to the problem, rather than just plugging your ears, closing your eyes and hoping it magically fixes itself somehow.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;3925433 said:
I don't think any of these GMs "want" to take the QBs that high, but if that's the price of getting one they'll pay it because your franchise is held hostage until you find a long term solution for the position.

Yeah, but bad teams have always been bad in large part because they didn't have a QB. So what's different now? You can't take just anyone and make them into a good player, no matter how much you'd like to.

I mean, I could see paying up for a really top prospect, but some of these guys are major projects that may never turn out. And when they don't work, you've gone nowhere and wasted a couple or three years.

poost

Reaction score
A little off topic, but does anyone have that photoshopped picture of Peterson in a Cowboy jersey?

poost

Reaction score
NorthTexan95;3925484 said:
Is this Jerry?

haha, nope can't say I am. I did find it though.

b6y984.png

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sports/...ettle-on-ot-tyron-smith.ece?action=reregister

1st pick: Carolina Panthers

Cam Newton -- QB, Auburn

The Panthers had the worst quarterbacking in the NFL last season with only nine TD passes in 16 games. Newton gives the Panthers a chance, although his legs are likely to carry him through his rookie season.

(Team needs: QB, WR, CB, DL)

2nd pick: Denver Broncos

Von Miller -- OLB, Texas A&M

New coach John Fox is switching to a 4-3 defense and needs tackles and linebackers. He can get competitive tackles into the third round. But there’s only one impact linebacker in this draft. Miller is the value here.

(Team needs: DL, OT, TE, LB)

3rd pick: Buffalo Bills

Marcell Dareus -- DT, Alabama

The Bills finished last in the NFL in run defense in 2010. They need some bigger, nastier players to line up against the Jets and Pats. In Dareus, they land the best run defender in this draft. He also brings an attitude.

(Team needs: QB, DL, OT, LB)

4th pick: Cincinnati Bengals

A.J. Green -- WR, Georgia

This is the only shot the Bengals have of luring Carson Palmer out of retirement. Draft the best receiver in college football, release Chad Ochocinco and Terrell Owens, and give Palmer a clean canvas to resume his career.

(Team needs: QB, WR, CB, pass rusher)

5th pick: Arizona Cardinals

Patrick Peterson -- CB, LSU

When you finish 31st in offense and 29th in defense like the Cardinals of 2010, anyone you draft is going to be an upgrade. Peterson is a huge upgrade for the secondary. Arizona is surprised to see him still on the board at 5.

(Team needs: QB, LB, pass rusher, OT)

6th pick: Cleveland Browns

Julio Jones -- WR, Alabama

The Browns need a lead receiver to accelerate the development of QB Colt McCoy. Voila — Jones was a walk-in starter at Alabama, and he’ll be a walk-in starter at Cleveland. He averaged almost 15 yards per career catch.

(Team needs: WR, CB, OT, DE)

7th pick: San Francisco 49ers

Blaine Gabbert -- QB, Missouri

Jim Harbaugh is a quarterback maker — first Josh Johnson at the University of San Diego and then Andrew Luck at Stanford. In his first year as head coach of the 49ers, Harbaugh wants a quarterback he can build a team around.

(Team needs: QB, G, def. playmakers)

8th pick: Tennessee Titans

Jake Locker -- QB, Washington

The Titans want to put the Vince Young era behind them. Locker provides Tennessee a key element Young lacked — leadership. Locker was a two-year captain at Washington and a very charismatic player.

(Team needs: QB, DL, LB, S)

9th pick: Dallas Cowboys

Tyron Smith -- OT, Southern Cal

The Cowboys have four starters on the offensive line who turn 32 this season. This group needs to get younger — and what better way than to select the youngest player in this draft? Smith turns 21 in December.

(Team needs: OT, G, DE, CB)

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
10th pick: Washington Commanders

Christian Ponder -- QB, Florida State

Mike Shanahan is not going to enter a second season with Donovan McNabb, so the Commanders spent all day Wednesday trying to move up. Gabbert was the target. Failing there, they take the next best QB on the board.

(Team needs: QB, WR, CB, youth)

11th pick: Houston Texans

Aldon Smith -- DE, Missouri

The Texans are switching to a 3-4 defensive scheme, and Smith can play anywhere in it. He has the frame to bulk up to play end or the speed and athleticism to play linebacker. The NFL’s 30th-ranked defense needs help.

(Team needs: DL, LB, DB, WR)

12th pick: Minnesota Vikings

Andy Dalton -- QB, TCU

Like the Titans, the Vikings need to draft a rookie quarterback and play him immediately. Dalton brings a wealth of experience — four years as a starter, 42 career victories and more than 1,300 career passes.

(Team needs: QB, DL, OT, CB)

13th pick: Detroit Lions

Nick Fairley -- DT, Auburn

Ndamukong Suh was perhaps the best defensive tackle in the NFL as a rookie in 2011. Adding Fairley makes Suh even better. Fairley is the best inside pass rusher in this draft. The Lions are building a formidable front.

(Team needs: LB, CB, OT, WR)

14th pick: St. Louis Rams

Mark Ingram -- HB, Alabama

The Rams would love to draft a wide receiver for Sam Bradford, but there are none worthy of this selection. St. Louis will continue to give Bradford weapons, though — the best running back in this draft.

(Team needs: Pass rusher, CB, WR, S)

15th pick: Miami Dolphins

Mike Pouncey -- C, Florida

The only need the Dolphins can still address here is the offensive line, and Pouncey gives them two-position versatility. Like his brother Maurkice, a first-round pick of the Steelers in 2010, Mike can play guard or center.

(Team needs: OL, OLB, CB, QB)

16th pick: Jacksonville Jaguars

Ryan Kerrigan -- DE, Purdue

You can’t expect to survive with a paltry pass rush in a division with Peyton Manning and Matt Schaub. The Jaguars managed only 26 sacks last season. Kerrigan had almost half that (121/2) last fall at Purdue.

(Team needs: DE, S, LB, QB)

17th pick: New England Patriots

Cameron Jordan -- DE, California

The Patriots are likely to trade out of this spot. But Jordan here could be an inducement to stay put. He’s a 3-4 end who fits the size prototype (6-4, 287) Bill Belichick covets. Bigger is always better in New England.

(Team needs: OL, DE, OLB, HB)

18th pick: San Diego Chargers

Corey Liuget -- DT, Illinois

Liuget was a dominant inside player in a 4-3 scheme in the Big Ten. The Chargers envision him playing the edge in their 3-4 scheme. He has excellent hands, a necessity for head-up combat with offensive tackles.

(Team needs: OT, ILB, WR, pass rusher)

19th pick: New York Giants

Nate Solder -- OT, Colorado

Like the Cowboys, the Giants need to get younger on the offensive line. Solder is the best blind-side protector in this draft, and he’s going to get better. He’s only played the position for three years.

(Team needs: OT, G, LB, KR)

Woods

Reaction score
I don't see the Rams drafting Ingram as per Goose's mock draft.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
If thats how it unfolds is falls mostly in line w/ my own feelings. Except Quinn but I understand the trepidation on him

JBS

Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;3925551 said:
If thats how it unfolds is falls mostly in line w/ my own feelings. Except Quinn but I understand the trepidation on him

For the most part your mock matches his..Goose just doesn't have Ingram going twice..we will see who is wiser

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
GloryDaysRBack;3925581 said:
For the most part your mock matches his..Goose just doesn't have Ingram going twice..we will see who is wiser

Hey you got to go out on a limb sometimes. If Im the only one who thinks Locker is top 10 and Ingram will be drafted twice so be it