Got some good inside info today

glimmerman

Reaction score
I disagree that Dak isn't ready to run it on his own. He has been playing with what is called, the few times he has changed the call was against Philly where he exploded in over time and the 4th quarter.

Just curious what makes you think he isn't ready?
Only because I noticed when Romo took over he had the wrist band with the plays on it. Dak knows how to audible. And maybe after 3 years he is ready. If so go for it.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I'm a well-established critic of Jason Garrett, and even I would consider him a "good coach". But the problem is that in order to win a Super Bowl, you need better than "good", you need great. If not steadily great, momentarily great. I think Garrett's biggest problem is that he lacks innovation and creativity and he fears change. He's as big a fan of "slow and steady" as I've ever seen. As steady and predictable as can be, a trait that is well appreciated in some areas - like organizational stability - but a negative when it stifles innovation and creativity and leads to predictability. In the NFL, predictability is a huge disadvantage, and often the death knell of any coach. Just ask Linehan.

He is not a good coach. He routinely losses games that he shouldn’t every season. He has been the beneficiary of good rosters through most of his tenure and has 2 playoff wins. His coaching in 2015 was a disgrace. No way he should have survived that season. Never shows any ability to adjust game plans. If he was a free agent tomorrow I highly doubt another NFL HC job would be available to him. The game is all about innovation and creativity these days. He has zero of that. Not a good coach at all. A franchise albatross in my opinion.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Nothing Earth shattering, more just confirming what I already believed. I was speaking with a former NFL GM today, the guy was NFL executive of the year not all that long ago "in the last 7-8 years. Put together a helluva roster and coaching staff so the guy knows what he's talking about. I told him I believed the Cowboys were loaded this year and well stocked for a deep run that could end in a Super Bowl title. This is what he said...........He said I was absolutely right that the Cowboys are loaded. Said that they had more than enuff talent to get to and win a title THIS YEAR,..........BUT ,...the question with the Cowboys is the same as its been for awhile now. Do they have the coaching?! Basically he said Garrett is a solid coach but has a long track record at always making the critical error somewhere along the way that ends up holding his teams back from winning anything meaningful.

Dont shoot the messenger. Just wanted to pass along what I heard today from someone who knows what they are talking about.
I know that damn JG fumble in Lambeau sure was a killer. We had a great shot at a SB if that red headed ******* could have just held onto the football. Always finding a way to kill the team at the worst time.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Except he hasn’t had a lack of success. He’s won more games over the last few seasons than coaches not named “Belichick”. He’s gotten into the playoffs with two different QBs, including with a rookie. He’s won the East three of the last five years. He’s won an NFL Coach of the Year award. There’s evidence. You just don’t want to see it.

He's won 2 wild card playoff games in 9 seasons. Thats his legacy so far. His reputation outside Dallas is a punchline.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He is not a good coach. He routinely losses games that he shouldn’t every season. He has been the beneficiary of good rosters through most of his tenure and has 2 playoff wins. His coaching in 2015 was a disgrace. No way he should have survived that season. Never shows any ability to adjust game plans. If he was a free agent tomorrow I highly doubt another NFL HC job would be available to him. The game is all about innovation and creativity these days. He has zero of that. Not a good coach at all. A franchise albatross in my opinion.

It depends on your definition of "good coach" than.

If you want to bring up his poor work in 2015, make sure to acknowledge his 13-3 record in 2016, with a team full of rookies. Be fair.

I doubt he'll get another NFL HC job either, but there are plenty of "good" coaches who failed to get a second chance, or whose second chance took a long time.

And again, I agree about the innovation and creativity, that's what I said.

He might not be great or good enough to get this team to the promised land, but he does have some positive attributes just the same. And if he doesn't get them there this year, it won't be an issue for either of us next year.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
It depends on your definition of "good coach" than.

If you want to bring up his poor work in 2015, make sure to acknowledge his 13-3 record in 2016, with a team full of rookies. Be fair.

I doubt he'll get another NFL HC job either, but there are plenty of "good" coaches who failed to get a second chance, or whose second chance took a long time.

And again, I agree about the innovation and creativity, that's what I said.

He might not be great or good enough to get this team to the promised land, but he does have some positive attributes just the same. And if he doesn't get them there this year, it won't be an issue for either of us next year.

I agree. No excuses this year. I think he is a goner if he doesn’t lead a deep playoff run. 2016 was an interesting year. Team of rookies is a stretch. He had an all world OL blocking for a generational rookie talent at RB. Dak also played really well and caught the league off guard. I also think the defense over achieved given the Romo injury. That was a good team.

The Rams playoff game once again showed everyone the guy can’t help. Completely out coached that game.

I have been fair. I wanted him to be great. Problem is he is not even average. You will see he will be looking for another job and none will be available.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree. No excuses this year. I think he is a goner if he doesn’t lead a deep playoff run. 2016 was an interesting year.

Team of rookies is a stretch. He had an all world OL blocking for a generational rookie talent at RB. Dak also played really well and caught the league off guard.

Admittedly a bit of hyperbole on my part, but weren't both Dak and Zeke "rookies"? Take a look at the rookie crop that year and the roles many of them played.

I also think the defense over achieved given the Romo injury. That was a good team.

The Rams playoff game once again showed everyone the guy can’t help. Completely out coached that game.

It definitely showed that he and his chosen guys (Marinelli) were over matched and that's often been the case, especially in the playoffs. That's where he fails to be a "great coach", time and time again.

I have been fair. I wanted him to be great. Problem is he is not even average. You will see he will be looking for another job and none will be available.

That's again not fair, he is in fact better than average which is .500.[/QUOTE]

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Admittedly a bit of hyperbole on my part, but weren't both Dak and Zeke "rookies"? Take a look at the rookie crop that year and the roles many of them played.

It definitely showed that he and his chosen guys (Marinelli) were over matched and that's often been the case, especially in the playoffs. That's where he fails to be a "great coach", time and time again.

That's again not fair, he is in fact better than average which is .500.
[/QUOTE]

Are we being extra literal today? Outside of Dallas the guy is a non entity. That is a fact. We can spin statistics all we like the reality is the guy’s record as an NFL coach speaks for itself.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Are we being extra literal today? Outside of Dallas the guy is a non entity. That is a fact. We can spin statistics all we like the reality is the guy’s record as an NFL coach speaks for itself.

And it doesn't say the things your claiming.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's won 2 wild card playoff games in 9 seasons. Thats his legacy so far. His reputation outside Dallas is a punchline.

It really isn't. But that's ok with me if you want to feel like it is.

He's a fairly well-respected coach outside of Dallas. Unless you're on anonymous sports forums and rolling over in arguments with Eagles fans.

yimyammer

Reaction score
The Cowboys should have a really good to great head coach.

right, but...

giphy.gif

garyv

Reaction score
Nothing Earth shattering, more just confirming what I already believed. I was speaking with a former NFL GM today, the guy was NFL executive of the year not all that long ago "in the last 7-8 years. Put together a helluva roster and coaching staff so the guy knows what he's talking about. I told him I believed the Cowboys were loaded this year and well stocked for a deep run that could end in a Super Bowl title. This is what he said...........He said I was absolutely right that the Cowboys are loaded. Said that they had more than enuff talent to get to and win a title THIS YEAR,..........BUT ,...the question with the Cowboys is the same as its been for awhile now. Do they have the coaching?! Basically he said Garrett is a solid coach but has a long track record at always making the critical error somewhere along the way that ends up holding his teams back from winning anything meaningful.

Dont shoot the messenger. Just wanted to pass along what I heard today from someone who knows what they are talking about.

Could this GM your referring to be Jerry Jones

Dre11

Reaction score
I agree. No excuses this year. I think he is a goner if he doesn’t lead a deep playoff run. 2016 was an interesting year. Team of rookies is a stretch. He had an all world OL blocking for a generational rookie talent at RB. Dak also played really well and caught the league off guard. I also think the defense over achieved given the Romo injury. That was a good team.

And who idea was it to put together the all world blocking or to make the identity of the Cowboys as a running power team(Garrett). You fail to see the whole picture

Sydla

Reaction score
This should surprise no one. The general feeling around the league seems to be that Garrett is a nice guy, decent coach who has his flaws. He's not terrible, he's not great. He won't destroy a franchise but he won't put one on his back and win anything of note.

Just blah.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It really isn't. But that's ok with me if you want to feel like it is.

He's a fairly well-respected coach outside of Dallas. Unless you're on anonymous sports forums and rolling over in arguments with Eagles fans.

Garret is so "well -respected" that the cowboys are perfectly comfortable having him as a lame duck head coach for the 2019 season. Even Jerry has finally figured out that this guy just hasn't won in spite of ample opportunity, and he won't be bidding against anyone for his services at the end of the season.

Now, if you want to argue that he's had 2 great regular seasons even though they amounted to nothing but meaningless regular season awards, fine.

Sydla

Reaction score
Garret is so "well -respected" that the cowboys are perfectly comfortable having him as a lame duck head coach for the 2019 season. Even Jerry has finally figured out that this guy just hasn't won in spite of ample opportunity, and he won't be bidding against anyone for his services at the end of the season.

Now, if you want to argue that he's had 2 great regular seasons even though they amounted to nothing but meaningless regular season awards, fine.

Again, not to defend Garrett, but this is how Jerry seemingly does business. He lets his HC coach out his last year before extending him. He did it before with Garrett prior to the 2014 season. Garrett coached 2014 on his last year of his contract and then got extended. Now maybe if Garrett had missed the playoffs in 2014, he would not have been re-signed, I just don't know.

But letting Garrett coach 2019 without a new deal isn't that unique.

Now having said that, I think this is probably a make or break year for Garrett. Jerry and Stephen keep talking about the roster they've built, how they have a roster ready to win, etc. You can't keep saying that and then have your team miss the playoffs or get bounced early yet again in the playoffs.