Gotta Do This...Who Does Tyson Thompson Remind You Of ?...

Rush 2112

Reaction score
Nice call on Tatum Bell. Similar running style and same fumble issue in college.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
Rush 2112 said:
Hoopla and resume reminds me of Reshard Lee.
He is not as big as Lee and he is faster. But their running styles are similar in that they play straight ahead. They are both north/south type runners even though Thompson made most of his big plays going outside you could still see that north/south style when he turned the corner. Personally I don’t think comparing him to Lee is an insult since purely as a ball carrier Lee wasn’t half bad; it was just the peripheral part of the game that cost him.

Don't blow this statement out of proportion (not that anyone here would do that ;) ) but he reminds me a little of Hershel Walker with his speed. But I think Hershel was a little more elusive just from the limited amount I have seen of Thompson. And Hershel was probably a little faster since he was the fastest man in the NFL at one time. Still there are things about Thompson's game that remind me of Walker.

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
He reminds me of Shermin Williams Good speed, decent size, Great ability. Now what he does with it is up to him.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
On a side note, Brandon Jacobs ran for 73 on 12 carries against Cleveland this weekend. I really wanted him. I hope he doesn't turn out to be everything I thought he might be for the Giants. Him and Tiki could be a formidable back field.

lspain1

Reaction score
I would like him to catch the ball, and I would like to see if he has any moves. Get him outside like Westbrook and see if can he make guys miss.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
lspain1 said:
I would like him to catch the ball, and I would like to see if he has any moves. Get him outside like Westbrook and see if can he make guys miss.
I'm wanting to see some of those things as well. At this point I am on his bandwagon with a "so far so good...let's see what else he's got" kind of attitude.

QT

Reaction score
Paul Palmer, Terrrance Flagler (sp?), Curvin Richards, Sherman Williams. Pick your poison. j/k

Hiero

Reaction score
really reminds me a lot of aveion cason. i havent had much of a chance to see TT yet, but hopefully he turns out a lot better than cason.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The closest Cowboy is Herschel Walker. Thinner than Hersh but with same burst and straight line speed. Good returner type and go all the way threat who needs good blocking to get through line cleanly.

Walker was IMHO the most overrated of former Cowboy backs by a good bit.

I can see the Dickerson comparisions as well. ED was 6'3" but he wasn't heavy. 220 or so.

Reaction score
Rush 2112 said:
Way too much homerism and hoopla over this kid.

Stop the madness!

Dickerson, Bo Jackson, Richie Anderson?

8 fumbles in one year at San Jose State?

Great straight line speed and that's it.

Hopefully he can learn to KR but he only has 4 of those in his one year NCAA career. Hence, he brings the ball out from 5 yards deep in the end zone twice on Saturday.

I'm setting the over/under at 20 touches on offense all year for this kid barring injuries at RB position.

I'll take the under.

How about Jim Brown?

gbrittain

Reaction score
He reminds me of someone who better show a lot more than straight line speed just to make the team.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
jterrell said:
The closest Cowboy is Herschel Walker. Thinner than Hersh but with same burst and straight line speed. Good returner type and go all the way threat who needs good blocking to get through line cleanly.

Walker was IMHO the most overrated of former Cowboy backs by a good bit.

I can see the Dickerson comparisions as well. ED was 6'3" but he wasn't heavy. 220 or so.

6-3, 230.

jlust22

Reaction score
Parcells was asked at the PC today if Thompson reminded him of anybody he had coached in the past. He said he kind of reminded him of Lee Rouson who played for him with the Giants for six years. He said Thompson is definitely faster, but that Rouson was a more well rounded player at this stage of Tyson's career. Let's hope Thompson's career turns out better than Rouson who is six years with NY had 401 yds. rushing and 2 TD's and 444 yds receiving and 2 TD's.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
He reminds me of Curtis Martin.........maybe not the inside runner as Martin, but size and running style, difinitely Martin.

Rush 2112

Reaction score
jlust22 said:
Parcells was asked at the PC today if Thompson reminded him of anybody he had coached in the past. He said he kind of reminded him of Lee Rouson who played for him with the Giants for six years. He said Thompson is definitely faster, but that Rouson was a more well rounded player at this stage of Tyson's career. Let's hope Thompson's career turns out better than Rouson who is six years with NY had 401 yds. rushing and 2 TD's and 444 yds receiving and 2 TD's.

I would never expect more from a guy who's probably a career 3rd or 4th running back.

playit12

Reaction score
I'll go with Trung Canidate. He has excellent strait line speed but it remains to be seen if he can do anything but run north south.

Also, all rookies turn the corner. They turn the corner on every play. They are always trying to make the big run and they are too impatient to see the hole open. Look at how Kevin Jones played last year in his first few games. He was turning it outside at the slightest hint of trouble.

If Thompson is going to be good in this league he is going to need to learn to use his blockers and stop running for the sideline.