Gotta Do This...Who Does Tyson Thompson Remind You Of ?...

joseephuss

Reaction score
gbrittain said:
He reminds me of someone who better show a lot more than straight line speed just to make the team.

Since the o-line didn't open up any holes for anyone, straight line speed to get to the outside may be the best thing. Julius and Barber also have the speed to get to the outside. I thought Barber looked good, but again there were too few holes for any of the running backs to get going and really show too much. Hard to be critical of any of the backs after that pre-season game.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
playit12 said:
I'll go with Trung Canidate. He has excellent strait line speed but it remains to be seen if he can do anything but run north south.

Also, all rookies turn the corner. They turn the corner on every play. They are always trying to make the big run and they are too impatient to see the hole open. Look at how Kevin Jones played last year in his first few games. He was turning it outside at the slightest hint of trouble.

If Thompson is going to be good in this league he is going to need to learn to use his blockers and stop running for the sideline.

I forgot all about Trung Canidate. That is a good comparision as far as running style, but Thompson is a little bigger. What ever happened to ole Trung,,,BTW

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
joseephuss said:
Thompson doesn't have that long neck like Harvey Williams.

You're right. That would be Patrick Crayton.

Patrick-Crayton.jpg

Patrick is technically 6'1", but only measures 5'6" when he's checking to see if his fly is zipped.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
A scooter on crack:p:

Opps i looked you meant his body style not his running style:bang2:

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
6-3, 230.
Dickerson was not 230 for the majority of his career.
In fact when he was at SMU he was never even 220.
He was probably my favorite player in the country leading SMU to a national champ tie with Paterno's bunch of chumps. Ok I'm bitter, lol.

Dickerson is listed at 6'3" 220 in the national football hall of fame.

Class of 1999

Running Back >>> 6-3, 220

(Southern Methodist)

1983-1987 Los Angeles Rams, 1987-1991 Indianapolis Colts, 1992 Los Angeles Raiders, 1993 Atlanta Falcons

playit12

Reaction score
jdub2k4 said:
I forgot all about Trung Canidate. That is a good comparision as far as running style, but Thompson is a little bigger. What ever happened to ole Trung,,,BTW

Got me... when the Skins released him there was talk that he was going to need surgery and a long time to recover. But that was in 2003 and I haven't heard a word since.

He could have been a good third down back, but he was never going to be a full time back like Snyder thought.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
DBoys said:
How fast is Thompson? What does he do the 40 in?
He runs between 4.3 and 4.4. Generally listed at 4.3 at San Jose State.

He was a high school all american out of irving and signed with tcu(to be the next LT) but did not make the grades.

RB - TYSON THOMPSON, Irving (Texas), 6-2, 195. Ran 418 times for 2,931 yards and 28 touchdowns in 12 games. Caught 12 passes for 162 yards and two touchdowns. Returned eight kickoffs for 285 yards and a 100-yard touchdown. Runs 40 yards in 4.4 seconds and bench-presses 310 pounds. College choice: Texas Christian.

gbrittain

Reaction score
joseephuss said:
Since the o-line didn't open up any holes for anyone, straight line speed to get to the outside may be the best thing. Julius and Barber also have the speed to get to the outside. I thought Barber looked good, but again there were too few holes for any of the running backs to get going and really show too much. Hard to be critical of any of the backs after that pre-season game.

Joseephuss,

I am in no way critical of Tyson Thompson. I think he was presented with a situation and took full advantage of it. He did everything that was asked of him and more.

My only reservation before I start up the hype machine is that there better be more to him than speed.

For all I know he could have moves like Barry Sanders and vision like Emmitt Smith.

Can wait to see what he can do when given more of an opportunity and hope that he shows he has some other skills as well.

GLIDINGJJ

Reaction score
Gale Sayers without the moves, hands or vision. :) Just kidding. If he can handle the mental aspect of the game and block a blitzing LB or DB as needed, and of course handle a screen, he could be the third down back we are looking for. That of course assumes he can contribute on special team. Lots of ifs here. However as Big Bill said, you can't coach speed and he appears to have a head on his shoulders. Time will tell.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
jterrell said:
Walker was IMHO the most overrated of former Cowboy backs by a good bit.

we didnt get him out of UGA, but I totally disagree with him being overrated...Herschel could do it all and had probably the best receiving skills of any RB in the modern era

if he had went from UGA to the NFL and landed on a run oriented team, no telling what sort of numbers he would have run up...

David