Twitter: Grade the Cowboys 2022 Draft

McKDaddy

Reaction score
C+

Smith is a good player at guard. But with your first round pick invested in OL you want a first day starter at LT not at guard.
So with our first round pick we missed here badly. Could have drafted a first day starter at guard in the 3rd round.

To be clear here: this is nothing against the player. Just a judgement of the ability to draft by the FO.

Sam Williams showing flashes in his sec year. As does Tolbert. But for a good draft (B) you want at least your 1st and 2nd rounder be starters from day one.

Bland is a great find. Still he is more of a system CB and not a talent like Diggs.
You can't be serious? All the guys are playing & two of them are probably going to finish their sophomore years in the top 3 (maybe #1 for each but trying to be cautious) at their positions.

That's phenomenal. I mean even if a couple were only getting special team duty & complete backup duty it would be awesome but all these guys are contributing with significant snaps.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
What grade you giving the 2022 Draft?

McClay crushed it, imho.
A+

Year 2 makes a big difference.

This time last year:
Smith came out the gate playing well.
Williams could not find his way onto the field.
Tolbert was not even active on game days.
Ferguson was just now down the stretch starting to get more snaps.
Bland was still in the process of winning the competition with Joseph and Wright.
Clark was just being put on the roster from PUP.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Not so sure about Mazi. He hasn’t come close to what you would expect from a player drafted in the first round. I would put him in the same category as Schoonmaker. Both have the look of players who won’t see a second contract with the Cowboys.
As long as you’ve been watching football you should know much better than to say a players 1st year is indicative of how their career will be.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Smith and Bland alone make it an A.

I am curious to see where Sam Williams's career goes. He runs hot and cold, but when he is on, he beats linemen at Micah-esque rates. The light's not on, but it's flickering. I want to see if it shines or dies out.

Last edited:

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
What grade you giving the 2022 Draft?

McClay crushed it, imho.
A+

Two players in the hunt for All Pro.
Ferguson already a top half starter, Clarke as a solid starter, and Williams as a borderline starter. Tolbert coming around.
And with only half of their second seasons done.
This would be 2 good drafts. Probably 3.

A+

plasticman

Reaction score
They are off to a good start but should be evaluated after about five seasons to get a better idea of what their contributions led to.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
After last year, I'm not sure we would have looked at the 2022 draft the same. Tyler was a starter from the start and Bland shined in the slot, but the rest were spits and spurts and Tolbert was a no show. Ferguson, for example, finished the year with 19 catches for 174 yards and 2 TDs. Not much different than Schoonmaker, who has 6 for 49 and 2 TDs. And got to remember that Ferguson actually filled in as the starter some last year because Schultz was injured. For example, Schultz missed the first Philly game, and Ferguson had 4 catches for 40 yards and a TD. Outside of that, his numbers were very similar to what Schoonmaker has done through the first 11 games, although Ferguson did have a 3-catch, 57-yard game in his 11th.
Schoonmaker may get the same gross numbers as Ferguson did last year, but Ferguson looked a lot better getting those numbers. Ferguson was clear starter quality in his first season. Schoonmaker, no.

plasticman

Reaction score
Good stuff!

My favorites:

Jake Ferguson (129) is just a backup tight end based on what I saw on tape. He went too high.

This class just has too many unknowns. We don’t know if Smith can definitely be a good guard or that Williams can definitely be an every-down player. Tolbert has good hands but is still raw. This is a risky group.

Apparently, Bland was an "unknown" to the "draft guru".

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Tyler Smith is trending towards a Pro Bowl selection at LG. Tyron is a big time LT finishing up a great career, so let him stay at LT. Smith n Smith could go to the Pro Bowl, so it seems like a good set up.

What kind of system CB is Bland?
Again my judgement has nothing to do with the player himself. He is good at LG and is trending to be a great one. Thats true.

But if you know you have a great player at one position then dont draft another one with your first pick. Thats bad resource management and so not a good draft pick.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Overshown will start next year and Mazi in 3 years will be very good - better than Hankins now. It's just about getting Schoon to take over the spot but IDK how they didn't see FERG was going to become the guy last year?
Hope you are right about Mazi.

But not looking good.

He’s a 1st…need to see ROI.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
A+

Clark has seemed to step up lately. I see him making some nice stops recently and solid all year. It seems he’s more comfortable now and seeing plays well.

They’re all really good to very good except Tolbert.

lkelly

Reaction score
Again my judgement has nothing to do with the player himself. He is good at LG and is trending to be a great one. Thats true.

But if you know you have a great player at one position then dont draft another one with your first pick. Thats bad resource management and so not a good draft pick.
Who was the great LG on the Dallas roster in the spring of 2022? Connor McGovern?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
A+

Clark has seemed to step up lately. I see him making some nice stops recently and solid all year. It seems he’s more comfortable now and seeing plays well.

They’re all really good to very good except Tolbert.
I think Tolbert will lose a competion with Brooks if we have a spot that gets consistent playing time open next year